PDA

View Full Version : Jim Dandy

Redboard
07-25-2014, 09:58 PM
Clement has been making some puzzling coments about Tonalist. A few weeks ago he said that he wasn't training as good as he did leading up to the Belmont. Then, yesterday he says that Tonalist enjoyed his layoff and has been very "playful" during his his workouts. When the guy who is getting paid a lot of money to get the horse ready talks like that, red flag goes up. He's treating this race as a workout for the Travers and BCC.
Speed got killed today at the SPA. I'm tossing the Belmont winner and betting the house on Wicked Strong.

Thebigguy
07-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Love wicked strong. I'm backing up with Legend. No Tonalist or Linda Rice horse for me.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Man, this looks like it could be an almost paceless race.

I am completely tossing the one run deep closers in the :6: and :7: .

In a 7 horse race that leaves me 5 horses in the :1: :2: :3: :4: :5:

The :2: has my serious attention. Along with the :3: .

I'll be firing :2: :3: with the :4: .

Tonalist is the horse to beat. And will be beat. At 9 Furlongs.

The :2: is ready for a monster race in my humble opinion. Tiznow and Storm Cat breeding screams late development for a 3YO. And is my choice along with the :3:

W: :2:
EX: :2: :3: Box and then :2: :3: over :4:
Trifecta: :2: :3: :4: with :2: :3: :4: with :1: :2: :3: :4: :5:

Pensacola Pete
07-26-2014, 03:38 AM
Commanding Curve for me.

PICSIX
07-26-2014, 07:42 AM
Best value for most likely pace scenario.......LEGEND ;)

OTM Al
07-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Commanding Curve for me.

Look at Golden Soul in the 5th. Tell me why this horse doesn't look exactly the same.

zico20
07-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Commanding Curve for me.

Until Commanding Curve can run a big race not at CD I will not be using him. He still has alot to prove when not at CD.

zico20
07-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Look at Golden Soul in the 5th. Tell me why this horse doesn't look exactly the same.

You are correct. One in the same.

raybo
07-26-2014, 11:03 AM
I have no idea how this race will be run, so, I'll go with my class/distance rankings:

:7: Wicked Strong
:6: Commanding Curve
:4: Tonalist
:5: Kid Cruz

Thebigguy
07-26-2014, 11:28 AM

They are. And they both suck. Plodders who clunk up and are always a tad overbet because of there non threatening Derby runs.

Thebigguy
07-26-2014, 11:30 AM

I agree. Im going to have a ton of pick 3 tickets ending with Legend and Wicked Strong. Hoping they go crazy on Tonalist and maybe bet Kid Cruz a little.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Tonalist is far and away the top horse on paper. There really aren't a lot of contenders in here, and there isn't a lot of dangerous speed either.

Cousin Stephen is the one horse who has a puncher's chance of gaining a pace advantage here, and out-running his numbers.

If Cousin Stephen goes off 5th choice or something, maybe he will be worth trying work-in on some small-number vertical exotics as an overlay.

Otherwise you probably want to hope to get about 6/5 on Tonalist, and I don't think that seems all that likely. Maybe I'm reading the public wrong and they will support Wicked Strong and Commanding Curve enough to keep Tonalist above profitability?

Ultimately, you want to see these guys run a strong race, and finish sound and full of run.

PhantomOnTour
07-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Cousin Stephen ran yesterday in the Curlin Stks...and finished last.
He is a scr today

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 11:41 AM
He is a scr today

That makes this race a lot easier.

I no longer see a possible vertical overlay, and the slim chances of getting 6/5 on Tonalist have been further reduced.

Will cheer them on, and hope we have a grade 1 horse, or two, going into the Travers.

raybo
07-26-2014, 12:11 PM
He is a scr today

Yeah, and Commanding Curve was entered in that race and scratched out to run in this one.(?)

I agree, on the face of it, there doesn't appear to be much speed here, Tonalist could decide to go earlier due to that, and run away from these. But, there are lots of questions with the other ones, so this is a prime race to pass.

zico20
07-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Since I looked at this race for 10 minutes I might as well make a token wager.

$5 supers

4-2-5-7
4-2-7-5
4-5-2-7
4-5-7-2

20 dollars is about all I want to invest in this race. There are a couple other races spread around the country that look easier to hit than this. Off to the track now. Good luck today to everybody!

Lemon Drop Husker
07-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Yeah, and Commanding Curve was entered in that race and scratched out to run in this one.(?)

I agree, on the face of it, there doesn't appear to be much speed here, Tonalist could decide to go earlier due to that, and run away from these. But, there are lots of questions with the other ones, so this is a prime race to pass.

The more I look at this race, the more likely I'll be passing.

:4: Tonalist is probably just too good for everybody else at this point in time and will be extremely short odds.

May throw a W/P wager on the :2: Legend if I can get him at 10/1 or better, but I just don't see that happening.

raybo
07-26-2014, 12:55 PM
The more I look at this race, the more likely I'll be passing.

:4: Tonalist is probably just too good for everybody else at this point in time and will be extremely short odds.

May throw a W/P wager on the :2: Legend if I can get him at 10/1 or better, but I just don't see that happening.

With the scratch of the 1, Tonalist will attract more money, IMO, but due to the shorter field, I doubt that will help the others' odds much. You're probably looking at the final odds pretty much, on the logical contenders, with Tonalist maybe going a bit lower than the morning line.

Redboard
07-26-2014, 01:24 PM
My only problem with Legend is that he's not been on the rail before, but, besides that, he looks like a real bargain.
good luck

PhantomOnTour
07-26-2014, 01:28 PM
My only problem with Legend is that he's not been on the rail before, but, besides that, he looks like a real bargain.
good luck
His price will surely come down from that ML...I am guessing about 6-1 at post.
Tonalist looks like he will lay all over this pace and get a good jump on Kid Cruz and Wicked Strong, although the blinks may keep the latter a bit closer than usual.

Looks like a PASS for me as I think Tonalist will win at short odds.

Ocala Mike
07-26-2014, 01:48 PM
With the scratch of the :1: , it's all about the :2: , no? Either sits a golden trip, or sets an easy pace; can't see him worse than second in here. Most likely, a :4: / :2: finish, but I will have win money on the :2: at probably around 9/2.

Some_One
07-26-2014, 02:08 PM
No value in the race IMO, top 2 will be 8/5 each and really can't oppose them.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 04:40 PM
practice wagers:

r8 pick3 ($3):
$1pk3 158-3-4 =$3

r10 Jim Dandy Trifectas ($16):
$8tri 4-5-2 = $8

$1tri 4-27-27 = $2
$2tri 4-5-7 = $2
$.50tri 25-245-2457 = $4

Conditional wager($50):
IF TONALIST ≥ 1-1 approaching starting gate, $50 win

Lemon Drop Husker
07-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Interesting tote board.

Wicked Strong not getting as much love as expected.

Kid Cruz at 4/1 is crazy.

Gonna pass.

JustRalph
07-26-2014, 05:56 PM
The TVG in studio guy just declared Tonalist the favorite "coming off the big Peter Pan win" or something close to that........ :bang:

Tom
07-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Looks like a waste of time race. Having this race and the Haskel on the same weekend is stupid. One of them should lose it's graded rating. No room for two graded stakes for three year old back to back so close together geographically.

Tom
07-26-2014, 05:59 PM
The TVG in studio guy just declared Tonalist the favorite "coming off the big Peter Pan win" or something close to that........ :bang:
Maybe he was on vacation June 7. :lol:

jettroofer
07-26-2014, 06:01 PM
:7: :5: :6: :4: :3: :2:

That is my order of ranking for this particular race

$20eX :7: :5:
$5tri :5: :7: / :5: :7: / :3: :4: :6:
$5Tri :5: :7: / :3: :4: :6: / :5: :7:
$5Tri :3: :4: :6: / :5: :7: / :5: :7:
$20W :7:
$20W :5:

Some_One
07-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Laying a little on :4: at 1.02-1 in the Win market on BF

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 06:07 PM
1win 3plc Tonalist

raybo
07-26-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm a Kid Cruz fan so he's my interest in this one, but no betting.

Some_One
07-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Guess I was better off putting my money just straight win on WS considering he went off at 4-1 on BF

Tom
07-26-2014, 06:12 PM
The Mig was right - WS needed blinkers.
Only took over half a year for his trainer to figure it out.

Good thing he ran here and not the Haskell. :rolleyes:

Lemon Drop Husker
07-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Awesome performance by Wicked Strong with the added Blinkers.

Was on the lead and put away a big threat from Tonalist after being on the lead with a solid pace for a 6 horse field.

So much for him being a deep closer. :D

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
May have been just what he needed, Tom.

First impression = we have a good Travers coming up.

raybo
07-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Well we had Wicked Strong as both the class horse and the distance horse. Odds were just too low to do any betting. Kid Cruz came late to get 3rd, still a little confused about why he waited so long to start his run, but that's racing.

classhandicapper
07-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Several people mentioned before the race they thought Wicked Strong needed blinkers. They were correct. But I wonder how many people thought he'd get first move on Tonalist in a race without much quality speed - blinkers or not.

If everyone is jumping on the Wicked Strong bandwagon for the Travers off this race, I think I'll be heading over to the Tonalist camp. This was clearly a prep for both and Wicked Strong may have just moved past him, but I'm expecting a sharper Tonalist that will be in front of Wicked Strong early next time.

raybo
07-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Several people mentioned before the race they thought Wicked Strong needed blinkers. They were correct. But I wonder how many people thought he'd get first move on Tonalist in a race without much quality speed - blinkers or not.

If everyone is jumping on the Wicked Strong bandwagon for the Travers off this race, I think I'll be heading over to the Tonalist camp. This was clearly a prep for both and Wicked Strong may have just moved past him, but I'm expecting a sharper Tonalist that will be in front of Wicked Strong early next time.

I have my doubts that the blinkers were the difference today. I think it may have been a decision by the connections to go early because of the lack of speed in the final field. While he ran a good race, I can't move him up much regarding the crop this year.

These horses are still maturing so any of these horses can jump up and run a better race than expected, at any time.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-26-2014, 07:02 PM

Well, here is what we know about Tonalist.

He has 6 career races, 3 Wins and now 2 Places and 1 off the board finish in his first career race.

He is a multiple Graded Stakes winner including the G1 Belmont at 12 furlongs.

He is also 2 for 3 in Graded Stakes races.

All I know is that this horse has to be respected in any Graded Stakes race in which he is placed.

Tonalist has not ran a bad race in his 6 race career. What we know is that he'll show up and run every time and put in a solid effort. There are few horses that you can make that claim that are of G1 race quality.

JustRalph
07-26-2014, 07:25 PM
I thought they would run better.........somebody new could come along

cj
07-26-2014, 07:47 PM

I don't want either one of them.

Appy
07-26-2014, 07:47 PM
I have my doubts that the blinkers were the difference today. I think it may have been a decision by the connections to go early because of the lack of speed in the final field.

There ya go.
I'm inclined to think the decision to go early had to do with Wicked's result charts. They KNOW they have a fine horse with abundant talent. If what you've been doing isn't working you try to do something about it.

Trips
07-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Well we had Wicked Strong as both the class horse and the distance horse. Odds were just too low to do any betting. Kid Cruz came late to get 3rd, still a little confused about why he waited so long to start his run, but that's racing.
Reviewing the race Cruz ran well but never made a run. He passed tiring horses making it appear like he was gaining ground. He lost a 1/2 length or so from the 3/4 pole home. He just couldn't keep up with a pair of 23.60 or so middle fractions. Nice young race horse though.

Believe i was sitting next to somebody who was utilizing you're program today.
Looked like a ton of solid information. Way above my programming skills.

Congrats on the accomplishment.:ThmbUp:

Matt Bryan
07-26-2014, 09:11 PM
In conclusion, this was a bad race to bet...as others have alluded to in terms of wagering potential, particularly after Cousin Stephen scratched. However, I couldn't resist, and although I had the trifecta, the pathetic payout wasn't worth the risk. Again, as the guy who claimed to make money on the 5-6 horse fields the other day, the money really isn't there in these situations..generally. Perhaps in some cheap claiming races...I don't know?

All around, it was a terrible day for betting at Saratoga IMO....with two tri's, an exacta, and one straight, hitting on 4 out of 9 races (betting on races 2-10 - fairly conservatively I might add), I came away with a $10 loss plus a bar tab.

Did anybody make money today?

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 10:02 PM

Are you looking towards anyone in the Travers at this point?

I know there are also some horses running tomorrow in the Haskell who may run in the Travers as well...

ArlJim78
07-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Tonalist is a nice horse, rather one paced though. Frankly neither the Peter Pan, the Belmont, or the Jim Dandy have looked very convincing to me. He's talked about as an Eclipse candidate and a solid BCC horse. As of this moment I just don't see it.

cj
07-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Are you looking towards anyone in the Travers at this point?

I know there are also some horses running tomorrow in the Haskell who may run in the Travers as well...

I want to see the Haskell, it should be a better race than the Jim Dandy. I've never been a Tonalist guy.

raybo
07-26-2014, 10:37 PM
Reviewing the race Cruz ran well but never made a run. He passed tiring horses making it appear like he was gaining ground. He lost a 1/2 length or so from the 3/4 pole home. He just couldn't keep up with a pair of 23.60 or so middle fractions. Nice young race horse though.

Believe i was sitting next to somebody who was utilizing you're program today.
Looked like a ton of solid information. Way above my programming skills.

Congrats on the accomplishment.:ThmbUp:

Kid Cruz got into a mid pack position early on and looked fine, but later he dropped to the back of the pack, that is what I didn't understand. The pace at that time was not fast enough to cause that drop back. Whether or not he could have won the race is neither here nor there, when the pace is not fast, and you come from off the pace, you have to be closer to the front than he was. After he dropped to the back, he made his run, and it was quite evident from the video that he started his run, he just had too far to go and not enough distance, or energy left to do it. Also, the front of the pack did not have to expend too much energy to be up front because of the slowish fractions, so they were able to finish strong enough to hold off the closers.

You're the first I've heard from that saw my program being used at the track. I think most of my users are sitting in their home and betting online. But, thank you for your kind words! :ThmbUp:

jettroofer
07-26-2014, 10:41 PM
In conclusion, this was a bad race to bet...as others have alluded to in terms of wagering potential, particularly after Cousin Stephen scratched. However, I couldn't resist, and although I had the trifecta, the pathetic payout wasn't worth the risk. Again, as the guy who claimed to make money on the 5-6 horse fields the other day, the money really isn't there in these situations..generally. Perhaps in some cheap claiming races...I don't know?

All around, it was a terrible day for betting at Saratoga IMO....with two tri's, an exacta, and one straight, hitting on 4 out of 9 races (betting on races 2-10 - fairly conservatively I might add), I came away with a $10 loss plus a bar tab.

My win bet on WS plus a $5 tri allowed me to lose $10 on the race. Lol

raybo
07-26-2014, 10:41 PM
I want to see the Haskell, it should be a better race than the Jim Dandy. I've never been a Tonalist guy.

Me either, and I didn't like him in this race particularly, and especially at odds less than 5/2 or so. I think the Haskell will have more, and better competition in it than the Jim Dandy did. We'll know more about the BC after that one.

Matt Bryan
07-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Tonalist is a nice horse, rather one paced though. Frankly neither the Peter Pan, the Belmont, or the Jim Dandy have looked very convincing to me. He's talked about as an Eclipse candidate and a solid BCC horse. As of this moment I just don't see it.

I don't see Tonalist as one-dimensional, and even though I bet against him today, I think he's probably in the top 3 of three-year olds...currently. I mean, who else is there currently - Kid Cruz? I jest, but seriously. Unfortunately, we won't get to see Chrome in the Travers, so it's sort of hard to gauge. Even though they wouldn't let me make an advanced wager on the Haskell tomorrow, I'm interested in the outcome - again, who is there? Speaking of one-paced, you've got Bayern. Will he ever win at a classic distance? Doubtful. And, of course, there are question marks with Social Inclusion, Medal Count, etc., etc., etc.....but, maybe some things will come into better focus after tomorrow. Just sayin' - considering Tonalist a "nice horse" is fine, and probably true....but, in a field of "average" 3-year olds, "nice" is pretty good.

Matt Bryan
07-26-2014, 10:43 PM
My win bet on WS plus a $5 tri allowed me to lose $10 on the race. Lol

Ha ha...I know, right.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 11:00 PM
I like Tonalist, but he was clearly 2nd best today.

It was a flat effort.

Wicked Strong is good, and Wicked Strong had a tactical advantage today, etc.. but there were no real excuses for Tonalist. He never really made a visible impression.

The best thing I can say about Tonalist is that he was fundamentally sound, and could be more fit, and could have a better pace set-up in a bigger race.

We've seen horses like Drosselmeyer trip-out and do well in bigger races, but Tonalist is going to have to show more.

Tara73
07-26-2014, 11:34 PM
Tonalist will win the Travers off this race.

Pensacola Pete
07-27-2014, 04:16 AM
I would have been surprised if Tonalist had won. This race was just a prep, as others said it would be. They weren't going to hurt the horse. If it couldn't win on its own, it wasn't going to win at all.. That's what happened. The horse was sent on the far turn, didn't respond to scrubbing, was given one tap of the whip at the 1/8th, and was then ridden out. On the other hand, Wicked Strong was all-out.

This used to be a favorite play of mine at the harness races. A top horse would enter a qualifying series for a big race: three heats; top three finishers in each race qualified for the final. The qualifiers would be something like $12,500 purses, and the final was about $100,000. The standout would be entered in one of the heats and would go off at about 1/5 odds. They'd win if the horse didn't have to be used, but they wouldn't push it at all. It almost always ended up second to the next-best horse, whose connections knew that they weren't going to win the final and who were getting the big share of the qualifier purse while the getting was good. Of course in the final, the standout won easily, often at close to even money.

ArlJim78
07-27-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't see Tonalist as one-dimensional, and even though I bet against him today, I think he's probably in the top 3 of three-year olds...currently. I mean, who else is there currently - Kid Cruz? I jest, but seriously. Unfortunately, we won't get to see Chrome in the Travers, so it's sort of hard to gauge. Even though they wouldn't let me make an advanced wager on the Haskell tomorrow, I'm interested in the outcome - again, who is there? Speaking of one-paced, you've got Bayern. Will he ever win at a classic distance? Doubtful. And, of course, there are question marks with Social Inclusion, Medal Count, etc., etc., etc.....but, maybe some things will come into better focus after tomorrow. Just sayin' - considering Tonalist a "nice horse" is fine, and probably true....but, in a field of "average" 3-year olds, "nice" is pretty good.
Tonalist runs very evenly paced, and with seemingly no distance limitation. The top ones usually have a burst of acceleration that they can use to make the winning move. That's all I'm saying.
I don't see Bayern as one paced at all. He's much more of a fast early then slow down a bit late type, especially when he tries to route. It will be interesting to see how he does today running 9 furlongs wearing blinkers. I have my doubts that he can carry that Woody Stephens speed all the way.
When I use a term like nice horse to describe Tonalist, obviously I'm comparing him to a handful of his peers at the very top of the division, and not against all 3yo's. He's a horse anyone in the game would want to get their hands on.

burnsy
07-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Me either, and I didn't like him in this race particularly, and especially at odds less than 5/2 or so. I think the Haskell will have more, and better competition in it than the Jim Dandy did. We'll know more about the BC after that one.

I kind of disagree, I can't see anyone in the Haskell beating the top two yesterday at 10 furlongs. It was a two horse race yesterday. The rest had no shot. The best are rising to the top now and I think Wicked Strong and Tonalist are two of the best. The Haskell has more flash but I have to see ANYONE (besides Medal Count) in that field make 10 furlongs first. I think Medal Count is the one to watch, he can last for a while. Even if he loses today. The Haskell looks more like the BC Mile to me.

Redboard
07-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Name three 3yr old usa colts better than these two.

burnsy
07-27-2014, 09:17 AM

Exactly....except maybe California Chrome. But I don't see any in that Haskell field that are better. Possibly the filly but she's got to get through today first.

Redboard
07-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Looks like a waste of time race. Having this race and the Haskel on the same weekend is stupid. One of them should lose it's graded rating. No room for two graded stakes for three year old back to back so close together geographically.
It's only a grade 2. Always been considerred a prep race, think Fountain of Youth.

Tom
07-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Then that would make it a graded sake.
If it is just a prep, make it a classified allowance race, which it really is.

zico20
07-27-2014, 10:17 AM

I disagree it was a bad race to bet IF you were in love with Wicked Strong. I myself did not care for the race, hence my token 5 dollar supers since I am not a Tonalist or wicked strong believer yet. To me Commissioner is nothing but an allowance horse and they struggled against him in the Belmont. Getting back to the race, anyone who loved Wicked Strong should have nailed that trifecta dozens of times. Tonalist was clearly better than the rest and Ulbanator is just not that good and Commanding Curve is a plodder. That only left you with two possible combos to play, 7-4-2 and 7-4-5. The trifecta came back 32.00 with the two favorites 1-2 and a longshot that most people threw out in a six horse field. To me that is excellent value. But once again, you had to love Wicked Strong, which some on here did. No excuse whatsoever not to make alot of money off the race for Wicked Strong fans.

Yes, I am the one who bets 5-6 horse fields plus select races with 8 or so horses. I hit my big race yesterday on the 2nd at GP. The trifecta paid an unbelievable 35.00 dollars. The 5 and 7 were 8-10 lengths better than the 4 and the 4 was 8-10 lengths better than the rest of the field. And it ran that way. There was daylight all the way down the stretch. I had the trifecta 25 times. Of course anyone who can handicap just a little should have made money off that race unless you thought the 5 couldn't lose at 3-5. Contrary to popular belief, there are some races that simply have a hit ratio of 90% or better. This was one of them. Yesterday I hit the tri or super multiple times in 6 of 12 races. Yes, there were some easy races to be had. Praire Meadows, Fairmount Park, and the Meadowlands each had a few races that only required a couple of different combinations to hit.

I am not bragging here. To be honest, I am most likely the worst handicapper on this site by far and away. Give me a 10 horse field or more with the favorite at 2-1 or higher and I guarantee you I would be lucky to pick the winner just once in those 100 races. I suck so bad. But I specialize in short fields with a big favorite where I key tris and supers straight with only a couple of different combos. And no, I don't always play the favorite to win. I try to beat him about 25% of the time. I have been doing this for 23 years now. It really isn't that tough to pick 6 horse fields in a certain order.

classhandicapper
07-27-2014, 11:35 AM

That's fair. There's another race today. But I don't see anything in the Haskell that I think is better than them going 10F, at least yet. There may be a couple of better ones going mid distances.

It looks like the Jim Dandy didn't come back all that fast, but it was run rather oddly. It looked like it got fast in the middle. Both horses lost a lot of ground. Neither was probably cranked because it was clearly a prep. My impression is that they are both good, but neither anything special.

cj
07-27-2014, 12:06 PM

California Chrome, Shared Belief, Untapable.

Redboard
07-27-2014, 12:20 PM
I disagree it was a bad race to bet IF you were in love with Wicked Strong. I myself did not care for the race, hence my token 5 dollar supers since I am not a Tonalist or wicked strong believer yet. To me Commissioner is nothing but an allowance horse and they struggled against him in the Belmont. Getting back to the race, anyone who loved Wicked Strong should have nailed that trifecta dozens of times. Tonalist was clearly better than the rest and Ulbanator is just not that good and Commanding Curve is a plodder. That only left you with two possible combos to play, 7-4-2 and 7-4-5. The trifecta came back 32.00 with the two favorites 1-2 and a longshot that most people threw out in a six horse field. To me that is excellent value. But once again, you had to love Wicked Strong, which some on here did. No excuse whatsoever not to make alot of money off the race for Wicked Strong fans.

Yes, I am the one who bets 5-6 horse fields plus select races with 8 or so horses. I hit my big race yesterday on the 2nd at GP. The trifecta paid an unbelievable 35.00 dollars. The 5 and 7 were 8-10 lengths better than the 4 and the 4 was 8-10 lengths better than the rest of the field. And it ran that way. There was daylight all the way down the stretch. I had the trifecta 25 times. Of course anyone who can handicap just a little should have made money off that race unless you thought the 5 couldn't lose at 3-5. Contrary to popular belief, there are some races that simply have a hit ratio of 90% or better. This was one of them. Yesterday I hit the tri or super multiple times in 6 of 12 races. Yes, there were some easy races to be had. Praire Meadows, Fairmount Park, and the Meadowlands each had a few races that only required a couple of different combinations to hit.

I am not bragging here. To be honest, I am most likely the worst handicapper on this site by far and away. Give me a 10 horse field or more with the favorite at 2-1 or higher and I guarantee you I would be lucky to pick the winner just once in those 100 races. I suck so bad. But I specialize in short fields with a big favorite where I key tris and supers straight with only a couple of different combos. And no, I don't always play the favorite to win. I try to beat him about 25% of the time. I have been doing this for 23 years now. It really isn't that tough to pick 6 horse fields in a certain order.
You have a good point but I was expecting Tonalist to miss the exacta:
Win: 7
Ex: 7/3,5
Tri: 7/3,5/4
still lost money.

horses4courses
07-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Retweeted by Rajiv Maragh
Sean Clancy ‏@SaratogaSpecial Jul 25
Wicked Strong laughing it up.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtZ9m4HCQAEa1SI.jpg

Valuist
07-27-2014, 07:11 PM
California Chrome, Shared Belief, Untapable.

That's only two, as Untapable is a filly.

taxicab
07-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Insert Bayern....

Redboard
07-27-2014, 08:26 PM
Insert Bayern....
Who will probably skip the Travers. Amazing how Baffert does so poorly in the race. Win the Haskel seven times and yet only win one Travers....with Point Given(2001) who won his only Belmont and might be considered the greatest t-bred of this century.

ArlJim78
07-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Who will probably skip the Travers. Amazing how Baffert does so poorly in the race. Win the Haskel seven times and yet only win one Travers....with Point Given(2001) who won his only Belmont and might be considered the greatest t-bred of this century.
Seriously?

Lemon Drop Husker
07-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Seriously?

In the discussion even though he retired as a 3YO before even running a BC race.

9 for 13 lifetime with 3 2nd place finishes in which 2 of those were G1 races.

6 G1 victories including a 4 race sweep to end his career with the Preakness, Belmont, Haskell, and Travers.

Worst race he ever ran was 5th in the Kentucky Derby in which he ran 5W into the 2nd fastest KD of all time.

He was an absolute monster.

tanner12oz
07-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Point given was a beast

ArlJim78
07-27-2014, 09:24 PM
In the discussion even though he retired as a 3YO before even running a BC race.

9 for 13 lifetime with 3 2nd place finishes in which 2 of those were G1 races.

6 G1 victories including a 4 race sweep to end his career with the Preakness, Belmont, Haskell, and Travers.

Worst race he ever ran was 5th in the Kentucky Derby in which he ran 5W into the 2nd fastest KD of all time.

He was an absolute monster.
to me he can't be in the discussion for horse of the century if he only raced in restricted company and didn't win the top race for 3yo's. and who did he beat? AP Valentine and Dollar Bill?

Over a horse with 9 GR1 wins in 12 lifetime starts, the last six in a row GR1 wins all against open company, The Pimlico Special, The Suburban, The Whitney, The Breeders Cup Classic, The Donn Handicap, and The Dubai World Cup?

Lemon Drop Husker
07-27-2014, 09:53 PM
to me he can't be in the discussion for horse of the century if he only raced in restricted company and didn't win the top race for 3yo's. and who did he beat? AP Valentine and Dollar Bill?

Over a horse with 9 GR1 wins in 12 lifetime starts, the last six in a row GR1 wins all against open company, The Pimlico Special, The Suburban, The Whitney, The Breeders Cup Classic, The Donn Handicap, and The Dubai World Cup?

Invasor is a foreign horse.

cj
07-27-2014, 10:17 PM

I missed the Colts part. There are several I rate higher, including Bayern.

Stillriledup
07-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Seriously?

He's right in there, had as much power as anyone.

Tom
07-28-2014, 07:28 AM
What century did Secretariat run in?

raybo
07-28-2014, 10:18 AM
What century did Secretariat run in?

LOL - :ThmbUp: