PDA

View Full Version : NotePad in XP

wilderness
07-24-2014, 07:44 AM
I use NotePad to edit some Apache files, which are straight text files (same as HTML and others).

For some reason the Apache files on my Laptop (XP SP2) have begun omitting the line breaks. It shows the little CR box however the lines are all run-together as a continuous line.

On my Desktop machine (same OS and same SP) NotePad works fine and shows the lines at each break.

Anybody have a clue?

I attempted adding "\n after notepad.exe, however that had no effect.

Word Wrap has no effect.

DJofSD
07-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Try: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

It has a feature which will show each and every white space character. You can then clean up whatever is the problem with the Apache file.

Why notepad.exe seems to perform differently between the two systems is not clear.

Check to see if the files are both ANSI or are both UNICODE.

DeltaLover
07-24-2014, 07:59 AM
read here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix2dos

DJofSD
07-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Is the utility a part of the problem or solution?

wilderness
07-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Believe I've found the problem.

I use the same brand (Filezilla) of FTP software on the two machines, however the Laptop has an earlier version.

The transfer format of Filezilla may be causing the issue. ASCII or Binary as opposed to the default setting of "Automatic".

wilderness
07-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Is the utility a part of the problem or solution?

DJ,
It's an alternative software, which was not what I'm looking for.

Dave Schwartz
07-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Is the issue Chr13Chr10 vs Chr10Chr13?

I have seen this on a number of Linux-based machines.

The text editor I use, UltraEdit, always asks if I want to convert to DOS format (i.e. Chr13Chr10).

wilderness
07-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Dave,
I composed a reply to yours earlier today and either I failed to submit or it's lost in cyberspace.

The Chr10's were there, however the lines were still continuous.

I was using Ver 2.2 on this laptop for some years, however the laptop was used very sparingly. For nearly eight weeks, I've been using the laptop daily (however switch to my desktop for most of the day [unattended]).

I've uninstalled 2.2 and installed 3.4 (3.8 is the newest ver) and everything works fine.

Whether I somehow changed the settings or the config files became corrupted on their own is unknown.

Previously I'd used this laptop & notepad to edit the Apache files and never had an issue.

Thanks to everybody for the help and suggestions.

TonyMLake
08-03-2014, 10:23 PM
Notepad++ is the answer here.