PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga Picks: Thursday, July 24

Teach
07-23-2014, 08:23 PM
Race One: You're on your own with "The Jumpers".

Race Two:

In this maiden-special sprint, I like :3: Battle Red. I like that fact that Battle Red has a race under his belt; he just missed as the 2-1 betting fave in his last against similar. The Kitten’s Joy-bred 2 year-old should have enough early speed to clear this field; it’ll be up to jockey Johnny Velazquez to rate this colt the rest of the way. Trainer Todd Pletcher is 32% with second-time career starts. Also: :1:/ :1a: Villalobos/Zip’s Moondance; :6: Louisiana Brown; :4: Bully Proof.

Race Three:

In this claiming sprint, :2: Miss Electronica gets my nod. In her only start, this Roman Ruler-bred filly was “jostled” (the replay reminded me more of the Bumper Car ride at Paragon Park, just outside Boston). Well, in this troubled trip, the filly moved smartly into second in the stretch but was out-finished and settled for third. Any kind of clean trip and this filly becomes a contender. Manny Franco for Mike Hushion. Hushion’s very good with second career races. Also: :5: Keep Right; :8: Built in a Day; :9: Mary’s in Utopia.

Race Four:

In this 7-furlong optional claimer, I’m going with :3: Lady Gracenote. This 7 year-old Read The Footnotes-bred mare was third in her last, a 200k ungraded stake at Belmont in late May; a race in which she finished third. Well, she now cuts back a panel after a nearly two-month respite. Trainer Jason Servis is good with horses who’ve been away from the races 45 to 90 days. He’s also good with sprints. Jose Lezcano is in the irons. Also: :5: Katie’s Garden; :1:/ :1a: Evening Show/Ultimate Shopper; :6: MissZippitySlewda (“…my oh my what a wonderful day”).;

Race Five:

In this turf sprint, I’m going with :4: D’Kennesaw Cat. It’s Jason Servis and Jose Lezcano, again. The Forest Wildcat-bred is back on the green where he finished second in May. The 3 year-old chestnut filly is turning back a half-panel - that should help. She may have enough front speed to clear and then play: catch me if you can. Also: :1: Orient Harbor; :5: Skipping; :6: Braided.

Race Six:

My choice in this claiming sprint is :5: Bridgetta, The mare has been solid in her last three starts; she won in this company back on May 21. She drops in class today. She has the kind of early speed to be among the leaders. Any residual moisture would be helpful. Javier Castellano for Bruce Brown. Also: :8: Saichi Sweepin; :4: Haldane; :7: Marcy.

Race Seven:

In this turf route. I’m giving my tepid nod to :11: Lawyer Jim. Yes, he’s been off for a month of Sundays, but he did win his last two starts, albeit last August and September. Trainer Lisa Lewis has a knack of conditioning horses who are winners of their last race. Alex Solis is in the irons. Also: :8: Powerful Instinct; :5: Captain Gaughen; :4: Half Wildcat.

Race Eight:

In this claiming sprint, I’m casting my lot with :7: Heir to Dare. This 6 year-old Forest Wildcat-bred mare has finished second in her last two against better. Any slight improvement off her most recent starts… The mare had a recent sharp three-panel morning work. Luis Saez for Gary Contessa. Also: :1: Precious Franca; :6: Wholelotaroyalty; :2: Pura Vida Zen.

Race Nine:

In this ungraded turf sprint stake I like :5: Favorite Tale. Yes, the Storm Cat-bred gelding has never raced on the turf. But he is a sprinter and his pedigree says he should take to the grass. This Tale of the Cat-bred has been in against some tough company, e.g., the Woody Stephens, Bay Shore. If he takes to the green as I believe he will, I think he can take it all. Rosie Napravnik for Guadelupe Preciado. Also: :1: Pure Sensation; :2: Harpoon; :6: Glacken Too.

Race Ten:

In the finale, a maiden claiming turf route, I’m going with an off-the-wall try, :10: Little T, Louie. Why, you ask. I’m not sure myself. My only quantification is the fact that the Freud-bred gelding was closing in a sprint in his only try on the lawn earlier this month. In this wide-open race, the gelding has as good a chance as any. I realize that neither the jockey nor the trainer are having stellar meets; yet, in this anything-can-happen race this gelding can surprise. Also: :8: All Over Me; :3: Harmony Bay; :11: Chasin Chama.

EvenSteven
07-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Sar03 :2: :5:
Sar04 :6: :3:
Sar05 :4: :6:
Sar06 :2: 2/5,8
Sar07 :6: :2:
Sar08 :6: :7:
Sar09 :5: :1: