PDA

View Full Version : Tampa, where nothings changed since the 70's

tampahorseplayer
07-23-2014, 01:28 PM
My dad sadly passed last year, he would tell me storys of him being in sam davis's office (usually to get a loan lol) and sometimes pete rose would walk in, and other really cool storys. He said once stella thayer bought it not much else changed, Ive been going since the early 2000s and other then getting rid of the tube tvs a few years back nothing has changed. The parking is horrible on busy days you have to walk a 1/4 mile, the paint is peeling and the same drab color scheme, and the food other than in the poker room (of course, not for horseplayers!) truly blows. The tellers save a few are super old and not friendly at all and many times Ive lost due to incorrectly punched ticket. Based on my last few visits even though I like to see live racing Id rather sit on the couch and bet online. Anyone here have any funny storys on tampa or memorys etc?

Ocala Mike
07-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Lots of changes of ownership, right? Also names of the place. Wasn't it once called Sunshine Park?

tampahorseplayer
07-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Ya it used to be called sunshine park. Sam Davis sold it to a joint Stella Thayer and George Stienbrenner, then Stella owned it all eventually. According to my dad Sam Davis was a people man, always walking around talking to people, regulars. The president now, Peter berube never smiles, in fact Ive never seen him talk to a patron, and I get the feeling he looks down on the "common degenerates". How hard is it to be kind to those who keep you in business?

Tom
07-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Sunshine Park, Florida Downs....used to be the track on the Let's Go to the Races TV show for some supermarkets. Lots of Finger Lakes horses used to ship down for the winter, so I followed it as best I could in the papers.

Hard2Like
07-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Sorry for your loss, losing dad sucks.
Tampa Bay Downs has an outdoor picnic area,with a huge tent, that offers free parking, free admission, bring your own coolers with food and drink, tellers, TV's, bettin machines, bathrooms and concessions.It backs up to the walking ring.Somethin about (cold and on sale)beer,steamed shrimp,flip-flops and live horse racing that makes me happy.
Mr. Berube was top notch host when a few fellow PA's and myself met for a day at the track some 6 or 7 years ago. Let us sit in his box seats directly on the finish line.Introduced himself to each of us and came by to check out how our day was going later on.
Aging employees, long lines on big days, that snowbird smell, the Ness Express... been on the wrong end of all that stuff,and more, many times. You can throw a few gut-wrenching Grunder calls in there.All together a small price to pay for what is a much improved racing product and an enjoyable place to spend the afternoon wagering.
Please adjust for the obvious hometown bias. I love the place.

fmolf
07-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Sorry for your loss, losing dad sucks.
Tampa Bay Downs has an outdoor picnic area,with a huge tent, that offers free parking, free admission, bring your own coolers with food and drink, tellers, TV's, bettin machines, bathrooms and concessions.It backs up to the walking ring.Somethin about (cold and on sale)beer,steamed shrimp,flip-flops and live horse racing that makes me happy.
Mr. Berube was top notch host when a few fellow PA's and myself met for a day at the track some 6 or 7 years ago. Let us sit in his box seats directly on the finish line.Introduced himself to each of us and came by to check out how our day was going later on.
Aging employees, long lines on big days, that snowbird smell, the Ness Express... been on the wrong end of all that stuff,and more, many times. You can throw a few gut-wrenching Grunder calls in there.All together a small price to pay for what is a much improved racing product and an enjoyable place to spend the afternoon wagering.
Please adjust for the obvious hometown bias. I love the place.
i was there in february and as a denizen of belmont and aqueduct i enjoyed the small town feel, the paddock was beautiful..you can get much closer to the horses there than at any nyra track. The smallness of it gave me a down home feeling i do not get at my favorite track, the cavarnous Belmont.People and employees were chatty and helpful and very pleasant...maybe i twas just my charming and thick new york accent.All in all i loved the place and will go back next time i visit my in laws in sarasota

OTM Al
07-23-2014, 09:09 PM
I was there for the first time this spring. It is very small compared to what I'm used to, but it wasn't at all bad. Sat up in the restaurant and food was good as well as the service. Walked around a little though was a bit limited as it was raining hard. I liked it fine and would go back if I was in the area.

thespaah
07-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Sunshine Park, Florida Downs....used to be the track on the Let's Go to the Races TV show for some supermarkets. Lots of Finger Lakes horses used to ship down for the winter, so I followed it as best I could in the papers.
Hmm I thought they used Tropical Park...The one with that tartan track....

thespaah
07-23-2014, 11:53 PM
I was there for the first time this spring. It is very small compared to what I'm used to, but it wasn't at all bad. Sat up in the restaurant and food was good as well as the service. Walked around a little though was a bit limited as it was raining hard. I liked it fine and would go back if I was in the area.
I've been there a couple times. My parents live pretty close( less than an hour away) So the wife and I took our son who was like 7 at the time. We liked it. Was different for sure.
I went back a couple years ago and they did some good things there. Looks nicer. I enjoy the laid back atmosphere. The racing is also much better.

Ocala Mike
07-23-2014, 11:54 PM
Yeah, Tom, it was Tropical. I remember that game on tv; used to get the card at the supermarket.

Tom
07-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Hmm I thought they used Tropical Park...The one with that tartan track....

Both, I think.

cnollfan
07-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Yeah, Tom, it was Tropical. I remember that game on tv; used to get the card at the supermarket.

It had to have been both, then, because I remember the races from Sunshine Park when I was a kid. Loved the show. Could usually tell from the pre-race summary who was going to win, too. Looking back, it was whichever low-odds horse was not on my ticket.

Moto Pete
07-24-2014, 11:06 AM
I moved to the Tampa area 13 years ago. I loved the track up until about 3 years ago. Too many dirty trainers and horrible dirt races on the weekday cards. Turf racing is still OK. In 2012-13 I bet almost exactly half what i bet the year before. This past year it was microscopic. Maybe with Calder closing the cards will be better but the presentation needs a facelift. Please say good bye to Margo and good guy Grunder. Berube is alright, he comes out of his office to Legends and says hi every now and then. I think he's feeling the pressure over the Margo/Cibelli thing and Ness basically taking the fun out of handicapping resulting in a negative buzz amongst the regulars. JMO.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-24-2014, 11:42 AM
I thought Calder, when first created, had Tartan Track.

thespaah
07-24-2014, 01:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Park_Race_Track

FrankieFigs
07-24-2014, 04:11 PM
I had the opportunity to visit in December 2012 and loved it. Didn't have a bad experience at all. I've been working on my wife to change our family vacation from Gulf Shores in October to Tampa anytime in December to March.... :)