PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express help?

so.cal.fan
04-27-2004, 08:23 PM
All of a sudden I get error messages. I can access my mail through my ISP, but not through outlook express......anyone know what to do?
Thanks,
scf

Tom
04-27-2004, 08:31 PM
What message are you getting?

so.cal.fan
04-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Error Message
The connection to the server failed. Account "adelphia.net"
Server "adelphia.net".
Protocol Pop 3110 Secure (SSL)
No. scocket error 10060
Error Number OX 800CCOE
I sometimes get the mail.....even with an error, sometimes not....
I know OE is a crappy mail server, maybe I should change?

Tom
04-27-2004, 09:10 PM
You might have to go into Internet tools and re-enter your mail server. Mine disappears sometimes.
Outlook Depressed seems to have Alztimers some days.

so.cal.fan
04-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks, Tom,
I have Alzheimers as well.
How do I do that in tools?

JustRalph
04-27-2004, 09:20 PM
So. cal....go into your mail via the provider and delete the messages that "were new" when this problem started. Then try outlook again.

This usually means that there is something about a particular message that is stopping outlook...............usually this is a "message related error" if you get rid of the offending message you may be ok. Give it a whirl.........

so.cal.fan
04-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Everything has been deleted, Ralph.
?????????????????

JustRalph
04-27-2004, 10:12 PM
So Cal....are you running any firewall applications...?

so.cal.fan
04-27-2004, 10:47 PM
I think the one on Windows XP

so.cal.fan
04-27-2004, 11:01 PM
Ralph and Tom,
After the THIRD CALL TO THE TECH SUPPORTS.....A guy finally told me how to do it.
Tom, you were right, but you have to know how to do this, to get it to work.
Thanks you guys.

andicap
04-28-2004, 02:10 PM
I have OE on two computers in my house and want to merge the address books. Is there any way to do that?

JustRalph
04-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Ralph and Tom,
After the THIRD CALL TO THE TECH SUPPORTS.....A guy finally told me how to do it.
Tom, you were right, but you have to know how to do this, to get it to work.
Thanks you guys.

I take it you re-entered your server settings and this fixed it?

If so ..... I have one question.........are you running Norton Anti-virus?

so.cal.fan
04-28-2004, 03:43 PM
The answer is yes, Ralph. Thanks.
I would like to know the answer to Andi's question as well.
I tried to transfer mine to hotmail....but no luck.

JustRalph
04-28-2004, 04:38 PM
So Cal

If you were running Norton and it was set to automatically scan email........ and you went in and changed your server settings to go direct to the server.....you may have just bypassed your automatic email scan......... depending on how you were setup...I bet your actual problem was with Norton......and all you did by re-entering your server settings was "bypass" the norton filter. You may want to check Norton.......and maybe reset the email scan.

Check out this link.......

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000020716064206

I will check into Andi's question.......I think I know the answer off the top of my head........but I want to look into it.

so.cal.fan
04-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Thanks, JR
Actually, I checked and I am not using Norton.....AVG
On another topic, we heard a "rumor" that one of your favorite jockeys may be back at Del Mar.......even though this jockey's spouse isn't keen on the idea.

JustRalph
04-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by so.cal.fan
Thanks, JR
Actually, I checked and I am not using Norton.....AVG
On another topic, we heard a "rumor" that one of your favorite jockeys may be back at Del Mar.......even though this jockey's spouse isn't keen on the idea.

thanks for the info.......

JustRalph
04-28-2004, 09:46 PM
On the outlook express address books.....this is how I would do it

This is the latest version of Outlook...if you are using ver. 4 or 5 please let me know and I will get you instructions for those versions.

To export your Outlook Express address book:
On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
Click Browse.
Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
Click Next.
Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
Click OK and then click Close.

Copy the file this procedure creates and take it to the other computer. Or share it across a network. Then run this procedure:

Import the Address Book File
To import your Outlook Express address book:
On the File menu, click Import, and then click Other Address Book.
Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
Click Browse.
Locate the Mail Backup folder on your desktop, click the address book Backup.csv file, and then click Open.
Click Next, and then click Finish.
Click OK, and then click Close.

Now if you want to merge these address book files..on different computers...do the same as above going the other way ....reverse the computers.....you are going to get a message asking what you want to do with duplicate entries.....choose whatever you want to do....and then pull the same procedure going the other way. I have done this before and allowed duplicate entires...don't do that unless you want to go thru later and delete the ones you don't want. I hope this is clear enough. It is basically taking one csv file from each machine and importing it to the other and answering the question about duplicate entries..........