PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Monday, July 21, 2014

Teach
07-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Race One:

In this maiden-special , 6-furlong sprint for New York State-breds, I’m leaning toward: :9: Keen’s Cupla. In a similar race, this Louis Quatorze-bred colt finished a game second to a runaway winner in his only previous start. I watched the replay. The colt dropped back from his rail-hole start and immediately spotted the field several lengths. Well, jockey Rosario Montanez (I hope he is feeling better; he suffered an eye injury after taking a spill aboard Piquant over the weekend) adeptly guided this colt to the outside down the backstretch. He started to put the colt into gear only to run into traffic (one horse bolted to the outside). He then fanned six wide at the top of the stretch; yet the colt moved alertly and came on willingly in the stretch to garner the place spot. I feel that this 3 year-old should have much more of a chance today starting from the outside post. If the colt demonstrates the closing kick he showed in his only race, he can become a player at a decent price. Oh yes, a recent sharp work. My big question is: Who fills in for Rosario Montanez? Answer: Luis Saez. That will have a bearing on how strongly I consider this colt. Also: :6: Curious Cal; :2: Dusk to Dawn; :4: Broadway Bay.

Race Two:

This second race is a tough-to-handicap, maiden-special sprint on the turf. I’m giving my tepid nod to: :3: Neilinger. This first-time starter, Tapit-bred filly has put together an array of sharp “bullet” works that includes a solid three-panel effort on the lawn about a month ago. Owner Lee Pokoik must have thought this filly was something special to have forked over 200k at the Ocala sales. Other factors here are the training skills of Gary Contessa and the riding skills of Julien Leparoux. I like Leparoux on the green in these sprints. Also: :6: Sashay; :8: Rainha de Bateria (Brazilian Drum Queen); :2: Partisan Politics

Race Three:

In this 7-furlong short-field allowance, I’m looking at a few horses whom I like but I believe want to go longer than seven panels. This makes for an interesting yet difficult to decipher race. Well, I giving my lukewarm nod to the outside horse, :8: Corinthian’s Glory. Guiseppe Ladisernia is a South Florida trainer who has a knack of conditioning winners. Yet, there are caveats here. First and foremost, this 4 year-old Pulpit-bred filly hasn’t been out since mid April. Logic would say that she needs a race. Yet, why would the owner-trainer bring her 1,500 miles north if he didn’t think his filly could do it. I’ll say this much: If this filly reprises her maiden-breaking win from back in early January down at Gulfstream, she could romp over this field. But, as they say, that’s a big “If”. Also: :4: Another Incident; :5: Wraith; :1: Annie Walker.

Race Four:

In this 7 furlong maiden-claimer for 3 Year Olds and Up, I’m going with :4: Tony B (they paid a half-a-million dollars for this horse; blinkers off). Admittedly, the colt, heretofore, has shown little, but this just might be his wake up call. Certainly, his last effort at Monmouth was nuthin' to write home about. But, today, he’s (I’ll say almost mysteriously) dropping into the “selling ranks”. Yes, water does seek it’s own level and horses sometimes drop into a race where they have a good chance of winning. Well, this might just be the case for Tony B. As cited, blinkers do come off, that may help. Luis Saez for Nick Zito. Also: :6: Artemus Paperboy; :10: Neilos; :1: Okey Dokey Smokey

Race Five:

My choice in this turf allowance sprint is :3: Console. Well, first of all, this Danzig-bred horse is off the synthetic - he finished sixth and second - and back on the turf, his favored surface. I like it that he has the services of Javier Castellano and that the horse is one-for-one at “The Spa”. I also believe the turn-back will help the horse. Mike Maker is a solid trainer who’s very good with shippers and turf starts. Yes, the horse has been off for over two months, but he’s had an array of recent, solid morning works. Also: :2: Came Back; :8: Isn’tlovejustgrand; :1: Thomas Hill.

Race Six:

In this turf claiming route, I’m giving my nod to :3: Fire Ship. This filly looks like the main speed here; yet can jockey Shaun Bridgmohan ration that speed out effectively enough to hold on for the win. That is the question. I feel that the filly - with proper handling - has a distinct shot here. Rick Violette, Jr, who is good with maiden claimers, is the conditioner. I might add the filly’s morning works are good; that may be a harbinger as to the outcome of the race. Again, Bridgmohan must dole out that speed. Also: :1: Make Your Point; :8: Sweetdreamsaboutme; :10: Kevin’s Steel.

Race Seven:

In this optional claiming turf sprint, I’m taking a chance with an ML longshot, :9: Dreamsgonewild. This Freud-bred 5 year-old gelding has been on the shelf for nearly nine months. Does he need a race? Logic would say yes. However, I do like the gelding’s morning works, particularly his recent effort in which he drilled five panels in two ticks over a minute, breezing from the gate. Further, the gelding has hit the tote in nine out of 13 lifetime turf starts. The Hall-of-Famer, John Velazquez, is in the irons for trainer Bruce Alexander. Also: :10: Sandy’z Slew; :5: Mr Rosenthal; :4: Danceteria

Race Eight:

In the Shine Again 100k ungraded stake for fillies and mares at seven panels I like :4: My Miss Aurelia. Why, you ask? For one, this lightly-raced Mr. Prospector-bred mare is a perfect three for three at “The Spa”. Secondly, “Johnny V.” is in the irons.; he's off to a red-hot start.
The mare has put together two straight “bullets”. This mare has outstanding back class, e.g., winning the Grade 1 BC Juvenile Fillies.
Oh, lest I forget, the mare is trained by Todd Pletcher. He’s also off to an excellent start. My only caveat is that she’s been off since mid March when she finished third in the Grade Azeri at Oaklawn Park. Yet, I cited the aforementioned work-tab and the fact that she’ll be turning back over a panel. Also: :2: Grace Hall; :6: Better Lucky; :3: Bridgehampton.

Race Nine:

In this turf claiming route, I’m going to try for some longshot action. Again, you might say: “Tu sei pazzo!” Yet, I think he’s got a shot. I’m talking about 10 H Town Brown. Yes, he hasn’t raced in nearly two months and yes, he did win his last at AP, but he did defeat a weaker bunch. Luis Saez (I woulda preferred Frankie Detorri) is in the irons for Wesley Ward. The Big Brown-bred gelding has his the tote in both his turf tries. I know. His morning works have been mediocre. But Wesley Ward is good with shippers. As you can see I’m sorta on the fence, or should I say “the hedge”. A lot will depend on whether Saez can get this gelding out quickly enough and on or near the lead before the field hit’s the first turn. If he struggles, then this colt’s chances will disappear faster than a puddle of water in Miami’s “Little Havana” in the middle of a hot summer day. Also: :3: Belly of the Whale (watch out for Jonahs); :4: Honor the Kitten; :1: Branded Hand

LAP_520
07-21-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks for your insight,,,,

Good Luck today Teach !

cordep17
07-21-2014, 04:51 PM
have you picked up on any turf bias? I'm looking at playing the ninth and almost exclusively play dirt races.