Do you remember where you were?
Did you watch it on TV?

American exceptionalism.
The stuff that embarrasses Obama.

horses4courses
07-20-2014, 01:07 PM
The stuff that embarrasses Obama.

What a crock!
Can't even celebrate a great achievement without stooping to the gutter.

Pathetic.

I never hated W this much. Cheney, maybe.

Tom
07-20-2014, 01:44 PM
The truth hurts, huh?

horses4courses
07-20-2014, 02:03 PM
The truth hurts, huh?

Umm, no.
Seeing what conservatism does to people, and this country, is what really hurts.

Greyfox
07-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Umm, no.
Seeing what conservatism does to people, and this country, is what really hurts.

Seeing what happens when America gets a poorer credit rating and approaches bankruptcy if the National Debt isn't paid attention to will hurt even more.

Tom
07-20-2014, 03:55 PM

You validate conservatism.
Thank you.

Shemp Howard
07-20-2014, 04:49 PM
San Francisco Giants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Giants) pitcher Gaylord Perry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylord_Perry), some six years after his manager quipped, "They'll put a man on the moon before he hits a home run", hits the first home run of his career just hours after Neil Armstrong (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Armstrong) lands on the moon.

JustRalph
07-20-2014, 05:10 PM
I was sitting in front of the TV with my whole family. It was a big deal to my dad.

For some reason I remember a Christmas time mission even more though. Late night watching over Christmas. I can't recall what that one was about........

OTM Al
07-20-2014, 08:25 PM
I was sitting in front of the TV with my whole family. It was a big deal to my dad.

For some reason I remember a Christmas time mission even more though. Late night watching over Christmas. I can't recall what that one was about........
You are likely remembering Apollo 8, which orbited the moon but never touched down. They did a famous bible reading on Christmas Eve 1968 that was one of the more memorable transmissions.

TJDave
07-20-2014, 08:52 PM

My dad was crying. Born in a small Polish town in 1905. No running water or electricity. Transportation was horse and wagon. Never believed he would see something like that.

For those old enough three things stick in our minds:

JFK...9/11...and this.

Tom
07-20-2014, 09:31 PM
I was working as a cook/janitor at the American Legion and was in the bar watching on TV.

cj's dad
07-21-2014, 12:30 AM
http://theweek.com/article/index/265042/speedreads-watch-a-72-year-old-buzz-aldrin-punch-a-jerk-in-the-face-for-calling-him-a-liar

TBD
07-21-2014, 03:34 AM
I watched the landing live on TV. Neil was always a hero of mine. In the 80's I got to meet and talk with him. I was in the Air Force and they were taping one of the Wings shows about the B-1b bomber. RIP Neil.

horses4courses
07-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Seeing what happens when America gets a poorer credit rating and approaches bankruptcy if the National Debt isn't paid attention to will hurt even more.

Enough with the debt scare mongering :bang:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/the-debt-apocalypse-has-been-called-off-1.1873611

budget office predicts that this year’s federal deficit will be just 2.8 per cent of GDP, down from 9.8 per cent in 2009.
It’s true that the fact that we’re still running a deficit means federal debt in dollar terms continues to grow, but the economy is growing too so the budget office expects the crucial ratio of debt-to-GDP to remain more or less flat for the next decade.

sandpit
07-22-2014, 08:52 PM
I was a wide-eyed six-year-old watching on our black and white tv. Never will forget it.

Tom
07-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Enough with the debt scare mongering

The debt is still north of 17 trillion.
You do understand that deficit still means we are losing ground and feeding the monster?

Libs and math.....sheeze! :lol:

Clocker
07-23-2014, 10:57 AM
The most transparent administration in history commemorates the event. In secret. Why would they do that?

President Obama met (http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2014/07/22/obama-apollo-11-crew-visit/12990241/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories)with surviving members of the Apollo 11 crew at the White House Tuesday morning to commemorate the 45th anniversary of their visit to the moon.News photographers were allowed in to the meeting briefly, but there were no reporters or television crews present.

CBS News White House correspondent Major Garrett lodged a complaint about the lack of availability, noting that the astronauts are American heroes whose space adventures were financed entirely by American taxpayers.

"These are legitimate American heroes," White House press secretary Josh Earnest replied. "On that you and I can agree."

Earnest said the lack of press availability was a scheduling issue.

Scheduling issue? Oh, yeah, got to get out of town on a 3 day fund raising tour on the west coast.

Tom
07-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Hard to deny exceptionalism and celebrate WALKING ON THE FREAKING MOON at the same time!

witchdoctor
07-23-2014, 06:03 PM
When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind" statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors' bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Sex? Sex you want? You'll get Sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

witchdoctor
07-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Seriously, I was watching on TV. My Dad was in mission control. He brought home of the flight log with everyone who was working mission control signing it. It now hangs in my bedroom.

Tom
07-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Cool!

OTM Al
07-23-2014, 09:00 PM
When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "One small step for man; one giant leap for mankind" statement, but followed it by several remarks, including the usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and Mission Control. Before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, [they found] there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have questioned him as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, FL, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26- year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question. When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the backyard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors' bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Sex? Sex you want? You'll get Sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

Funny story but unfortunately not a bit of truth to it. I was disappointed when I found out it was only an urban legend

JustRalph
07-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Funny story but unfortunately not a bit of truth to it. I was disappointed when I found out it was only an urban legend

I have heard it told different ways. Armstrong laughed about it whenever asked. He was aware of all the "tales" A reporter from Columbus asked him once and he denied saying it.

He was a very low key guy after his time in the spotlight. I knew a guy who took a class from him in college and he never once mentioned the NASA stuff.

He passed up a ton of money refusing to be a full time speaker.

BettinBilly
07-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Armstrong was a very low key guy. Even when he passed, the media was not big on reporting his death, at least my local stations were not. Just a quick blurb that he passed. End of story. Sheesh. First man to walk on the moon. Dead. OK. "Hey, let's take a look at the weather this weekend, over to our Meteorologist, Jim, how's the weekend look?"

My father (RIP) was involved with the Apollo project at the time. He was an Electrical Engineer, not a Rocket Scientist, but he had to know a lot of collateral information regarding the program. I remember asking him when they put the Astronauts into orbit around the Moon for the first time what would happen if they couldn't fire the Command Module engine to get them home.

He said something like, "The engines WILL fire on command. They have to."

I asked, "But what if they don't?"

He said something like, "They have to. They are Hypergolic. You open the valves, the gasses mix and they have no alternative but to burn."

I asked, "But what if the valves get stuck and don't open?"

He replied, and this is accurate, "I think it's time for you to go to bed."
;)
You gotta' love kid's questions.