PDA

View Full Version : more breakers

imofe
07-20-2014, 01:55 AM
I have no data to back this up, but it seems to me that more horses break stride than in previous years. I expect young horses, especially trotters to break a lot. But it seems that pacers are starting to break often too. Pacers over a certain age should not be back missing the gate as often as they do. Anyone else find this to be a trend or is it just me losing my mind?

Stillriledup
07-20-2014, 03:16 AM
its possible because trainers are using lightweight hopples, lightweight shoes, the drivers are trying to make as much speed as possible and horses are more fragile...so, you could be onto something.

tamaharbor
07-22-2014, 06:24 PM
I have tabulated the total number of race-lines and how many race-lines contain a break (for whatever reason) for both trot and pace races at all USTA parimutual tracks between 3/22/2009 and 7/13/2014, inclusive. See attached spreadsheet.

Observations:
1) The average percentage of breakers in a race has decreased almost every year of the last five for both trotters and pacers.
2) The best behaved horses are pacers at Yonkers.
3) Maywood has almost no trotting races (0.1% of total)
4) Vernon Downs and The Meadows run a lot of trotting races (44% and 43% of total, respectively).
5) I don't think I will bet on trotters any more. Lol.

imofe
07-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Could not open the file, but thanks for the info Tamaharbor. I guess it was just the races I have been watching in the last month or so.

tamaharbor
07-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Attached is the same info in pdf format.

imofe
07-22-2014, 08:52 PM
I bet a lot of Maywood and Balmoral . Both are up. Maybe that explains why I felt that way. Thanks for putting up the PDF.

Ray2000
07-23-2014, 06:26 AM
I have tabulated the total number of race-lines and how many race-lines contain a break (for whatever reason) for both trot and pace races at all USTA parimutual tracks between 3/22/2009 and 7/13/2014, inclusive. See attached spreadsheet.

Observations:
1) The average percentage of breakers in a race has decreased almost every year of the last five for both trotters and pacers.
2) The best behaved horses are pacers at Yonkers.
3) Maywood has almost no trotting races (0.1% of total)
4) Vernon Downs and The Meadows run a lot of trotting races (44% and 43% of total, respectively).
5) I don't think I will bet on trotters any more. Lol.

Good job tama, thx. I've always been curious if the break pct is really different on a sloppy track vs fast but was too lazy to do the work.
If you have the overall numbers right at hand great, but don't go to any trouble.

tamaharbor
07-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Results of track conditions vs breaking horses attached.

Ray2000
07-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Thanks a lot, tamaharbor

Looks like trotters handle the off-track better than pacers,...interesting numbers.

wilderness
07-24-2014, 08:15 AM
tamaharbor,
Very interesting many thanks.

For some years, we rarely see the worst off-track conditions (heavy, muddy & slow).

Any idea what tracks those conditions are from?

pandy
07-24-2014, 09:44 AM

Great stuff. Do you mind if I use your stats in a column?

tamaharbor
07-24-2014, 09:19 PM
That would be fine, Pandy. Use whatever you need.

tamaharbor
07-25-2014, 06:28 PM
wilderness,

Interestingly, most FROZEN races were carded at Balmoral, the NOT RECORDED races were at Miami Valley, most MUDDY races at Scarborough, and a majority of the HEAVY track conditions were found at either Bangor and The Meadows. SLOW and SNOW track conditions occurred once in a while at all tracks at various times.

- tamaharbor

wilderness
07-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Many thanks