PDA

View Full Version : Tapit .. no workout over the track !

BeatTheChalk
04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Most winners of the Derby .. have at least one workout over the
track. I think Charismatic might be the exception..Cant recall
for sure. In any case - I dont understand why the connections
are shipping on Wednesday ... and not working the horse over
the track ( a gallop and a walk around the area...doesnt count )
So I am picking against the horse....perhaps the trainer knows
best ...we will find out.

TravisVOX
04-27-2004, 12:43 PM
Agreed. Everyone is raving about his Wood Memorial race...well the Beyer wasn't that good. Granted, there wasn't much comparison in terms of route races that day, I still don't buy it. They sailed early up top and Tapit had things his own way to win like that and still turned in an okay number. First time at the dance for both trainer and jockey...the price will be short, something I can't swallow in this years race.

Speed Figure
04-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Funny Cide had no works over the track last year.

cj
04-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Workouts are annually the biggest farce leading up to the Derby. These horses are already fit. If they aren't by chance, it's too late!

thelyingthief
04-28-2004, 12:58 PM
the old saw about arriving on site two weeks before or the day before, nothing in between seems pretty accurate, though.

andicap
04-28-2004, 01:49 PM
With Tapit, you're buying into the magic of Michael Dickinson who has gotten a ton of PR this week for Da Hoss' BC win after a year layoff.
But older horses aint immature three year olds and the formula for winning has befuddled many a great trainer, like Mandella.

Backers also expect Tapit to be a much tighter horse this time around and Sheet players -- I'm not one -- know that young horses can improve by leaps and bounds when they show "explosive" moves.

No shock if Tapit wins but i too will search for better value and more experience.

rokitman
04-29-2004, 01:00 PM
The Genius sure picked a terrible post for a horse that has absolutely no early speed. You'd think he's blind in one eye. Several additional lengths to make up after he gets a long shuffle back to last place. I expect this horse to be thoroughly thrashed.

Dickinson gets way too much credit. So, Dahoss won the BC Mile off a long layoff. Dahoss won the BC Mile without a layoff too. Obviously, the horse was all heart- which Dickinson didn't have a thing to do with.

jotb
04-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by TravisVOX
Agreed. Everyone is raving about his Wood Memorial race...well the Beyer wasn't that good. Granted, there wasn't much comparison in terms of route races that day, I still don't buy it. They sailed early up top and Tapit had things his own way to win like that and still turned in an okay number. First time at the dance for both trainer and jockey...the price will be short, something I can't swallow in this years race.

The Beyer number was not that good for Tapit and the Cliffy Beyer was tremendous. All I know is one thing, Tapit came off an illness and ran against a speed favoring racetrack Wood day. As far as, Cliffy's Beyer number, I'm going to say this number is certainly inflated. There were 2 route races that day on the card and I'll guarantee you, that track was souped up for that race and that's why the time came back as fast as it did. Comparing the times to the early races that day which were on the slow side make the Cliff's race look that much better, but I don't buy this Beyer number. Take a closer look at the internal fraction of that race and you will see what I mean.

Joe

kenwoodallpromos
04-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Trainer says Tapit's lung infection is pretty much over, ESPN2.

thelyingthief
05-01-2004, 12:06 AM
if tappit wins the kentucky derby they should shoot the rest of the horses, and sell em for glue.

kingfin66
05-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Lots of resentment about Dickenson here. To me, he will always be legendary just because of A Huevo. If he could bring that horse back for a big win, I wouldn't put anything past him. I have decided to have a Guinness and eggs tomorrow for breakfast, then immediately switch to Mint Juleps, then soon to straight whiskey. Then I won't care if Tapit beats me and costs me money.