PDA

View Full Version : Equibase Charts automatic download / parser software

GameTheory
01-03-2002, 12:21 AM
Hello,

I download the charts from Equibase everyday (and programs from TSN), which was a big pain in the butt, so I wrote a little script that downloads them all automatically with one click. I just put in the date that I want, and I have them all in less than a minute (broadband connection), instead of clicking on them one at a time (I download them for every track) which I find incredibly tedious.

I'm also making a parser that takes the charts, the program for the corresponding day (which has info the charts don't, like the trainers for all horses and morning lines) and makes a nice comma-delimited data file out of it all so I can use the info as a real database.

Currently, these scripts are in PHP, which means they run in your browser and you have to install PHP and your own mini-web server on your computer to run them. Most non-web developers can't/aren't going to do this, so I was thinking I'd redo them in a different programming language that would be portable and anyone could run easily.

Anyway, when I'm done, would anyone be interested in receiving a copy of these programs (they'll be for Windows) to make your life easier? If so, send me an email (renegade@earthling.net) with subject "Equibase" (I get lots of spam -- I don't want to miss it) and I'll make a list. Or if there are lots of people I'll just put it up somewhere for people to download...

GameTheory
01-06-2002, 02:16 AM
Ok,

I've gotten a fair number of replies, so I guess there is some interest in this.

The "mass downloader" is nearly finished -- I should have something in a few days. I just found out BRIS & TSN also have free charts now -- other than the display, there are only very minor differences, so I'm going to incorporate into the program the ability to choose from where you'd like to get your charts, and of course you can use one as backup as Equibase sometimes is unavailable.

After that's done, I'll get to work on the parser, which is a bit trickier and will probably take another week or two. I was thinking that there are many data fields I could create that could be calculated from the raw results quite easily. Total beaten lengths and final time/internal fractions for each horse come to mind. Any other requests? (It has to be something that can be calculated from the raw information available in the chart, or the chart/program combo.)

ranchwest
01-06-2002, 10:56 PM
Is the previous race included in any of those charts? That would be helpful.

Richard
01-09-2002, 10:19 PM
I'm DEFINITELY interested!I too download Equibase results charts every day(five different tracks).Please keep us all posted.

GameTheory
01-09-2002, 11:33 PM
Richard,

Please send me an email so I make sure to put you on my list:

renegade@earthling.net

GameTheory
01-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Just to let you know that I just e-mailed the first program (the downloader) to everyone who inquired about it. So if you haven't received it and you should have, or you want it, let me know...

ranchwest
01-24-2002, 05:39 PM
For anyone who hasn't tried it, this downloader is really useful. GT, thanks!

anotherdave
01-24-2002, 07:13 PM
Yes, it is great. Much appreciated!

stuball
01-28-2002, 08:17 PM
Hi GT
I would appreciate it if you could send me a
copy of your download program and conversion
program. I sent an e-mail but have not received an
answer yet....Please note my new e-mail is

stuballzzz@yahoo.com

I tried to change it under edit profile but it
wouldn't let me change it....wonder why?????
I have been waiting a long time for a program like
this to download charts to my Foxpro Database...
Thanks

Stuball

GameTheory
01-28-2002, 08:38 PM
I got your email and will send you the downloader some time tonight. I was making modifications to the program today, so it was "in transition"...

In fact, I'll probably be sending everyone a final version that has one new feature suggested by a user, and fixes some subtle bugs (programming inaccuracies, really -- they don't affect your output).

The parser is coming along nicely, and I'll probably have a crude test version that some of you can help me test by the end of the week.

stuball
01-28-2002, 08:46 PM
Thanks GT appreciate your response and your programming ability....have a nice day..count me in I will be glad to test your program if you need me to...have a nice day.

Stuball (a saint I ain't)

horseplayer14
02-09-2002, 10:38 AM
GameTheory I would like a copy of your equibase file parser. Thanks.

Tom
03-01-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by GameTheory
Hello,

I'm also making a parser that takes the charts, the program for the corresponding day (which has info the charts don't, like the trainers for all horses and morning lines) and makes a nice comma-delimited data file out of it all so I can use the info as a real database.

GameTheory...
Did you ever finish this program?

Tom :confused:

GameTheory
03-01-2002, 10:24 PM
I know, I know, I'm a terrible bastard -- it has taken me so long... I really thought I was going to release it about 4 days ago, but all the loose ends I was going to quickly wrap up turned out to take a day each to wrap up.

The good news is that yes it is done (not completely, but suitable for a test release), and that I am writing documentation right now so you will know how to use it. I have every expectation of sending it out in just a few hours from now, but since everything seems to take longer than I anticipate, I'm not going to promise! I will post here just as soon as I send it out, so if you don't get it you can let me know....

-- Andy

Tom
03-01-2002, 10:39 PM
That is great news, Andy.
The reason I ask is that I have been downloading TrackMaster
result filels for many tracks for a long time, and suddenly, they are selling more "bad" files than good ones. I downloaded 20 files last night and only 12 of them were able to be imported into their TrackProfile program. I need to do that so that I can take the date from the program and put it into Access. But a $1 a pop, I am stopping my use of TM since they oviously do not have any quality control on their products. (If you rename their file as a text file and open it. you can plainly see that they add extra fields
in random lines which makes it impossible to import the file-they are not very responsive to my complaints about this).
So it is time to find a new source of data.

Tom

:eek:

BillW
03-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Tom
The reason I ask is that I have been downloading TrackMaster
result filels for many tracks for a long time, and suddenly, they are selling more "bad" files than good ones. I downloaded 20 files last night and only 12 of them were able to be imported into their TrackProfile program.

Tom

:eek:

That's interesting, Tom. I started using their chart files when they first came out a few years ago(big cost advantage at the time, I think). I got to the point to where I added logging capability to my importer. I gave up on them about a month later.

It it easy to write a "scrubber" that can catch simple errors that are included in these files, but the providers don't seem to care.:rolleyes:

Bill

Tom
03-02-2002, 09:57 AM
I really like the amount a of data ina TM download, but it is getting to be a regualr problem these days. Once in a while, I can understand, but when quality goes out the window to this degree, I have to start thinking, do I trust any of their data anymore? Slather-*ssed work ethics are running rampant these days-it seems America can't spell Q_U_A_L_I_T_Y anymore. We generally settle for a lot of crap that we shouldn't in all areas.

Tom