PDA

View Full Version : Ny Daily News ends daily horse racing coverage

thespaah
07-18-2014, 09:06 PM
"New York's Picture Newspaper" and former home of longtime handicapper Russ Harris has ended it's horse racing coverage.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/86254/new-york-daily-news-ends-daily-race-coverage

Tom
07-18-2014, 09:09 PM
It was only a matter of time....they ended their coverage of news a few years ago.

Fish mongers and bird dealers are rightfully concerned.

RunForTheRoses
07-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Definitely a sign of the times. I used to be a newspaper junkie only a decade or so ago, now I rarely buy the paper. Got the internets. It was cool while it lasted, even the lame Battle of Saratoga. RIP

thespaah
07-18-2014, 09:38 PM
This is going to go down the road of "remember when".
It was only a matter of time.
The internet is going to run the newspaper business out of business.
It's a shame. I am still kind of a newspaper junkie.
But even my interest in them is waning.

RunForTheRoses
07-18-2014, 09:55 PM
This is going to go down the road of "remember when".
It was only a matter of time.
The internet is going to run the newspaper business out of business.
It's a shame. I am still kind of a newspaper junkie.
But even my interest in them is waning.

My 84 yo father who has an NJbets/TVG account will be disheartened. He's not as into handicapping anymore but has trainers and jocks he follows so the News and Post were great for him. They already scaled back a lot, I think no Monmouth, no SoCal which not too long ago they had somewhat.

Tor Ekman
07-18-2014, 10:44 PM
It was only a matter of time....they ended their coverage of news a few years ago.

Fish mongers and bird dealers are rightfully concerned.
Some comedy gold, right there.

jk3521
07-18-2014, 11:07 PM
The good "News" is that they got rid of Bossert!

dirty moose
07-19-2014, 01:37 AM
The good "News" is that they got rid of Bossert!

You making light of a man being fired? **** is wrong with you?

tucker6
07-19-2014, 06:39 AM
I agree that this is less about horse racing than it is about the newspaper business and the dire straits they are in versus the internet. I haven't bought a newspaper other than in an airport since February and frankly don't miss it. I can read hundreds of online newspapers and news channels without spending a penny.

Thomas Roulston
07-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Didn't both the Daily News and the Post stop publishing the following day's entries quite a while ago?

They didn't seem to be in there when I was in NYC in May.

SandyW
07-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Why would anybody pay $3.00 for a Sunday paper ???? :confused::confused:

rastajenk
07-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Food coupons?

Moto Pete
07-19-2014, 10:54 AM
I still get our local paper delivered just because. I can see why papers are discontinuing daily racing entries/results. It's still sad to me. I grew up worshipping Russ Harris and the pre Murdock Post was pretty good too.

OTM Al
07-19-2014, 12:58 PM
The Daily News ended meaningful race coverage long ago.

dilanesp
07-19-2014, 03:36 PM
I agree that this is less about horse racing than it is about the newspaper business and the dire straits they are in versus the internet. I haven't bought a newspaper other than in an airport since February and frankly don't miss it. I can read hundreds of online newspapers and news channels without spending a penny.

it's about horse racing too. How many day to day fans are left in New York? If there were more, it would not be cut.

tucker6
07-19-2014, 04:06 PM
it's about horse racing too. How many day to day fans are left in New York? If there were more, it would not be cut.
yes and no. I get your point. However, newspapers are akin to people freezing to death. The body shuts down less meaningful systems in the hopes of saving the whole. Newspapers are shedding marginal clientele and stories for more mainstream news in hopes of staving off death. So in a way you are correct. Racing's decline has caused less press which should over time cause more decline. However, without the internet, newspapers may still be covering racing. A complicated subject with lots of chicken/egg discussion.

thespaah
07-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Newspapers are at the point where their highest and best use is selling and presenting ads, investigative reporting and writing stories of local interest.
Sports, weather, hard news, breaking stories, racing, etc, are easily gleaned from on line sources.
I've cut back from a daily subscription to Wednesday and weekends only.
Instead of getting the paper 7 days per week, I now get it just three.

Ocala Mike
07-19-2014, 08:30 PM
I grew up worshipping Russ Harris

Me too in kind of a reverse way; guy had some following with the denizens of OTB, and he steered a lot of "wrong" money bet by those handicapping without benefit of actual past performances.

Tara73
07-19-2014, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=Ocala Mike]Me too in kind of a reverse way; guy had some following with the denizens of OTB, and he steered a lot of "wrong" money bet by those handicapping without benefit of actual past performances.[/QUOTE

Exactly! It would be amusing if Harris had his best bet in the first race. OTB money would always cause his best bet to open at 2-5.

BettinBilly
07-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Ya' know what REALLY sucks about this for me?

I just subscribed to the NY Daily News via Kindle two weeks ago. It's only 99 cents per month! Yep. A buck a month handily delivered to my Kindle every morning. Cheapest electronic paper available for Kindle, that I have found anyway. If you can't afford a buck a month for a daily newspaper, well, then I guess you can't afford it. ;)

Horse Racing was included in the electronic edition, albeit very very abbreviated. Just read a blurb today about Saratoga. At least it was in there. Still, abbreviated or now for me, it is too damn bad they are eliminating it. I liked reading the NY Daily Paper Edition when I lived in NYC. Was delighted to find it so dirt cheap on Kindle.

All things change. I just wish once we'd have something change in our favor re: Horse Racing.

thespaah
07-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Speaking of Russ Harris. Some time in the mid to late 80's, word got out that on occasion he did not bet his own picks, but may have bet other horses in a particular race. He drew the ire of many NY area bettors.
One day at Saratoga while doing the Paddock Club with Harvey Pack, Harris took a question on this matter from one of the attendees. Harris could have blown off the question, but instead handled the situation by explaining his reasons.
The short short version was that Harris normally made his picks as much as 48 hrs in advance of the paper being "put to bed"..One can figure out the rest.

dilanesp
07-21-2014, 01:10 AM
Speaking of Russ Harris. Some time in the mid to late 80's, word got out that on occasion he did not bet his own picks, but may have bet other horses in a particular race. He drew the ire of many NY area bettors.
One day at Saratoga while doing the Paddock Club with Harvey Pack, Harris took a question on this matter from one of the attendees. Harris could have blown off the question, but instead handled the situation by explaining his reasons.
The short short version was that Harris normally made his picks as much as 48 hrs in advance of the paper being "put to bed"..One can figure out the rest.

That's a valid excuse. I remember Jay Privman and other handicappers talking about it at Santa Anita in the 1980's; they actually had to handicap without even having seen the Racing Form.

NJ Stinks
07-21-2014, 01:48 AM
Not saying this is untrue but I bought the NY Daily News Friday and Saturday and Jerry's picks were there both days. I still have Saturday's paper and Dave Little made his picks at the Meadowlands & Yonkers too.

Anyway, I'll send them a letter complaining if and when I buy the paper and there is no racing coverage.

This stinks! :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

titans1127
07-21-2014, 01:52 AM
Not saying this is untrue but I bought the NY Daily News Friday and Saturday and Jerry's picks were there both days. I still have Saturday's paper and Dave Little made his picks at the Meadowlands & Yonkers too.

Anyway, I'll send them a letter complaining if and when I buy the paper and there is no racing coverage.

This stinks! :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:No pics in today's(Sunday) paper. From what I saw while my dad was reading it looked like they were down to just a single page.

NJ Stinks
07-21-2014, 02:00 AM
No pics in today's(Sunday) paper. From what I saw while my dad was reading it looked like they were down to just a single page.

Thanks for the info, Titans.

ubercapper
07-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I was expecting to defend the "Battle of Saratoga" title I won last year and had a hunch something was up when I emailed them about a month ago and was told they weren't sure it would be coming back.

I then got an email last Wednesday that the editor's had scheduled a meeting for Thursday (the day before opening day at Saratoga) at 4:30 to discuss the Battle and Saratoga coverage. To steal from the person that emailed me "I guess the 5:30 slot was taken."

I don't see any reason they couldn't continue the Battle, and other racing coverage like Jerry's Picks and Blog, on their site. However, like many print outlets, they may not understand how to compete that way. Last year when I was asked to keep my commentary to 125 words due to print limitations, I inquired about submitting two articles, one for the paper and one for the web (without the same size constraints) but they weren't interested.

Honestly, I wasn't aware of the Battle until invited to participate for the first time last year. After it started I was made aware of it's long and "storied" history. It was a lot of fun and I was humbled to have beaten two veteran handicappers.

Sadder still was learning a hard working man lost his job.

NJ Stinks
07-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Two points:

1. Ellis, I enjoyed reading your picks in the Battle last year. That you beat Mr. Chalk (Dave Little) was justice served IMO! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

2. I think it's worth noting that Jerry Bossert gave out the winner (4-5), exacta ($26.80), and trifecta ($123) in exact order in Saratoga's last race on Saturday. It was Jerry's last race "Analysis" in the New York Daily News newspaper. One could say Jerry closed with a rush! :cool:

thespaah
07-23-2014, 11:58 PM
That's a valid excuse. I remember Jay Privman and other handicappers talking about it at Santa Anita in the 1980's; they actually had to handicap without even having seen the Racing Form.
Harris explained that he normally had to make his picks 48 hrs in advance.
Things change over two days. Hence the reason why his bets may have been different.