PDA

View Full Version : "Three Strides Before The Wire"

Milkshaker
07-17-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't quite understand why the Chris Antley thread was closed (looked like some decent debate going on and some respectful reminiscence of his riding ability), but for anyone looking for further reading, Elizabeth Mitchell's "Thee Strides Before the Wire" is an outstanding book that artfully outlines Antman's demise.

Not your traditional racing bio--It's about a cancer patient wanting to experience the Kentucky Derby, and getting drawn into racing by Charismatic's '99 Derby. The author then becomes fascinated by Antley, and traces his career from his Carolina roots to his narcotic downfall.

wisconsin
07-17-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't quite understand why the Chris Antley thread was closed (looked like some decent debate going on and some respectful reminiscence of his riding ability), but for anyone looking for further reading, Elizabeth Mitchell's "Thee Strides Before the Wire" is an outstanding book that artfully outlines Antman's demise.

Not your traditional racing bio--It's about a cancer patient wanting to experience the Kentucky Derby, and getting drawn into racing by Charismatic's '99 Derby. The author then becomes fascinated by Antley, and traces his career from his Carolina roots to his narcotic downfall.

That book goes in depth about several people, Antley and Lukas to name a couple. What a great read!

johnhannibalsmith
07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
I don't want to take away from the subject of the book, but as the heir to the previous Antley thread, I guess this is the right spot.

For those that weren't around or engaged enough to know Antley as a jock and the tragic character that was so outwardly perfect doing what he loved and so otherwise imperfect in every other way like so many of the greats - ESPN did one of those 60 for 60 or 30 for 30 shows on him and Charismatic and Lukas. I still watch it about once a year and miss the guy's presence in racing.

There may be a better way to watch it since the video is atrocious by today's standards (ESPN or Netflix or whatever), but if interested:

rH_yuKTj61Q

rrpic6
07-17-2014, 11:53 PM
I rank that book in my top 5 of all time. "Unbroken" is #1. RIP Louie Z.!

RR

CryingForTheHorses
07-18-2014, 08:23 PM
I don't want to take away from the subject of the book, but as the heir to the previous Antley thread, I guess this is the right spot.

For those that weren't around or engaged enough to know Antley as a jock and the tragic character that was so outwardly perfect doing what he loved and so otherwise imperfect in every other way like so many of the greats - ESPN did one of those 60 for 60 or 30 for 30 shows on him and Charismatic and Lukas. I still watch it about once a year and miss the guy's presence in racing.

There may be a better way to watch it since the video is atrocious by today's standards (ESPN or Netflix or whatever), but if interested:

rH_yuKTj61Q

WOW..I had a hard time pulling myself away from watching this video and others.Yes The Antman was a wonderful rider who is still missed by many..God Bless him,I hope he found peace with himself.Thank you for sharing.