PDA

View Full Version : RIP Johnny Winter

horses4courses
07-17-2014, 08:43 AM
One of my favorite blues artists - terrific slide guitar player.
Died yesterday aged 70 in Switzerland during a Euro tour.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/07/17/blues-legend-johnny-winter-dies-in-switzerland/12771833/

aCApLGaeBdQ

Tom
07-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Wow, 70!
He was one mean gee-tar player.
RIP brother!

classhandicapper
07-17-2014, 09:32 AM
I love the blues in general and Winter brought a great talent to the genre. I'm sorry I never saw him live.

RunForTheRoses
07-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Oh wow, that sucks. He was a huge talent, played in Muddy Waters band at one time.
Growing up I heard him on NY classic Rock radio-usually Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo and New York New York. Thought he was good but...ca.1986 bought tickets to Hot Tuna and The Band Pier 84, Johnny was also on bill figured he was opener...long story short he headlined and absolutely destroyed. Was huge fan ever since.RIP

johnhannibalsmith
07-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Dang, can't believe he's that old. Hell of a musician, one of the best at what he did - something that has been extinct for a couple of decades now, I think.

Marshall Bennett
07-17-2014, 12:10 PM
One of the best guitar players I've ever seen play.
Rest in Peace.

pandy
07-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I saw him at the Fillmore on the same show with The Allman Brothers and The Elvin Bishop Band. He was recording Johnny Winter And, a great live album with Rick Derringer playing guitar with Johnny. And the Allmans were also recording their Live at the Fillmore East album. Elvin Bishop also had a hit record at the time, and the tickets were like, $6.50!

On that Johnny Winter And live album, he has a rip-roaring version of Jumpin Jack Flash, and a smokin' cover of Johnny B Goode, amazing guitar riffs.

DJofSD
07-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Sorry to hear of JW's passing. I'll expect something this weekend, if not sooner, on JAZZ88.

RaceBookJoe
07-17-2014, 01:53 PM
I believe he was the 1st guitar player I recall playing with a thumb pick, not saying he was the 1st ever to use one, just the first one I remember seeing. Nothing better than a great blues guitarist, not sure why I don't listen to the Sirius Radio Blues Station more often? RIP

DJofSD
07-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Use Pandora and create your own blues channel.

classhandicapper
07-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Use Pandora and create your own blues channel.

My Pandora not only has a blues channel, it is broken up type of blues.

Delta, Piedmont, Chicago, Texas, Piano, and Modern.

I love blues. :ThmbUp:

rastajenk
07-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Can't say I've heard of Piedmont-style blues; who might be some examples of that?

RaceBookJoe
07-17-2014, 04:03 PM
My Pandora not only has a blues channel, it is broken up type of blues.

Delta, Piedmont, Chicago, Texas, Piano, and Modern.

I love blues. :ThmbUp:

Interesting, the channel on Sirius is called BB King's Bluesville...not sure if they are all-encompassing blues or mainly a certain kind because I just don't listen to it enough. Going to keep it on the rest of the day. What do you think of Gary Moore's playing..ie his Blues Alive cd, one of my favorite cd's in my small collection.

classhandicapper
07-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Can't say I've heard of Piedmont-style blues; who might be some examples of that?

It's a finger style acoustic blues style that I believe originated "around" (and I use that term loosely because I'm not a historian) the same time as the original Delta Blues.

It's blues that's sometimes mixed with a little ragtime.

Blind Blake and Reverend Gary Davis are 2 of the big names. You should be able to find examples on youtube.

There's one guy, Blind Willie Walker, that was considered the best of them all, but only 2 of his recordings managed to survive. I heard one of them. The guy was freaking awesome.

But this is very roots oriented acoustic stuff. Most people today will either hate it or become bored with it quickly.

RaceBookJoe
07-17-2014, 05:51 PM
It's a finger style acoustic blues style that I believe originated "around" (and I use that term loosely because I'm not a historian) the same time as the original Delta Blues.

It's blues that's sometimes mixed with a little ragtime.

Blind Blake and Reverend Gary Davis are 2 of the big names. You should be able to find examples on youtube.

There's one guy, Blind Willie Walker, that was considered the best of them all, but only 2 of his recordings managed to survive. I heard one of them. The guy was freaking awesome.

But this is very roots oriented acoustic stuff. Most people today will either hate it or become bored with it quickly.

Is Walker the "Dupree Blues" person? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Qa2ICfu5M

classhandicapper
07-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Is Walker the "Dupree Blues" person? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Qa2ICfu5M

No, but now I heard both of them. :ThmbUp: Thanks.

This is the one I was talking about.

There are a few riffs in this where he flies, given this is acoustic finger style from the 30s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSS2CFqnIYM

Zydeco
07-17-2014, 07:35 PM
For Piedmont blues search for John Jackson. Was a grave digger in Northern Va. but played some sweet blues ...kind of like Mississippi John Hurt

Zydeco
07-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Saw Danny Gatton...followed by Buddy Guy...followed by Johnny Winter at The Warner Theater in DC in late 80's, all came out for the finale and they were all trying to cut each other and it was great!