PDA

View Full Version : IRS IN TROUBLE?

dartman51
07-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Hey NJ. they might call you out of retirement. ;)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/hobbled-irs-cant-stem-flow-dark-money-2014-election-n155601

IRS Commissioner John Koskinen says the agency he’s led since December is in peril.
“We don’t have enough employees anywhere,” he told the Center for Public Integrity when asked about its ability to regulate nonprofit groups. “I think the whole agency is at risk at the level of under-funding we have.”

TJDave
07-15-2014, 06:15 PM
We Americans have a proud history of helping those in need.

Send in your donations.

Save the IRS

tucker6
07-15-2014, 06:37 PM
This reminds me of a TV show quote once, that I modified for this thread. Seems entirely appropriate.

"The IRS cannot be harnessed, cannot be controlled. It is therefore our recommendation that this department be terminated, and all records concerning it expunged. The various IRS buildings will be removed from existence. Burn it down, gentlemen. Burn it down and salt the earth."

NJ Stinks
07-15-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm finished spreading good cheer wherever I go, Dartman. :)

Anyway, for every buck cut from the IRS budget the country loses $7. It's beyond silly to treat the IRS like any other government agency - especially with the deficit we have.

The GOP is leading the way to Stupidity but don't worry. Spite must be a virtue somewhere. :jump:

http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/2012-Annual-Report/irs-funding/

tucker6
07-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Not all costs are the same NJ. Congress took $1.2B from enforcement, so even if we take your number as the truth, we'll lose $8.4B. However, you must admit that the IRS budget grew by over $800k in the last two years. I'm sure there's enough waste in the IRS and other programs to make up this difference. Besides, this is the penalty for lying to Congress and using the IRS for political reasons. Let's try to reduce foreign aid. It's a $33B budget line item in 2014. The total IRS budget is $13B. Do you see anything wrong here?

AndyC
07-15-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm finished spreading good cheer wherever I go, Dartman. :)

Anyway, for every buck cut from the IRS budget the country loses $7. It's beyond silly to treat the IRS like any other government agency - especially with the deficit we have.

The GOP is leading the way to Stupidity but don't worry. Spite must be a virtue somewhere. :jump:

http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/2012-Annual-Report/irs-funding/

Stupidity is having a tax code that is no dominated by complex social engineering laws that people and corporations have to spend billions in order to comply with the laws. Accordingly the complexity of the laws requires an IRS that must have enormous budgets along with enormous manpower requirements. A colossal waste of resources for both the taxpayers and the government.

NJ Stinks
07-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Not all costs are the same NJ. Congress took $1.2B from enforcement, so even if we take your number as the truth, we'll lose $8.4B. However, you must admit that the IRS budget grew by over $800k in the last two years. I'm sure there's enough waste in the IRS and other programs to make up this difference. Besides, this is the penalty for lying to Congress and using the IRS for political reasons.

There's not much at the IRS period, Tucker. People like me left and nobody is replacing us. No money for hiring, no money for training, no money for computer upgrades. I won't comment on the "poilitical reasons" because that is obviously an issue only deep-thinkers on the right can grasp. (Pick an icon.)

Andy, I'm not going to defend the IRS tax code. Congress wrote it. I'll let them defend it.

MONEY
07-15-2014, 07:47 PM
I thought that due to the A.C.A., health insurance companies now have the
power to collect federal taxes.

Clocker
07-15-2014, 08:21 PM
I thought that due to the A.C.A., health insurance companies now have the power to collect federal taxes.

Yes, but people aren't supposed to know that. They are supposed to think that if they can't afford insurance, it is just free.

TrifectaMike
07-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Apply occam's razor across the board.

Mike

johnhannibalsmith
07-15-2014, 09:08 PM
There's not much at the IRS period, Tucker. People like me left and nobody is replacing us. No money for hiring, no money for training, no money for computer upgrades. I won't comment on the "poilitical reasons" because that is obviously an issue only deep-thinkers on the right can grasp. (Pick an icon.)

Andy, I'm not going to defend the IRS tax code. Congress wrote it. I'll let them defend it.

Good.

I love you man and you are a loyal employee, but your former employer has spent decades earning its reputation. And it isn't good, and not just because people just don't like paying taxes.

It's hard to go hat in hand for more funding when you've made enemies of everyone. What a popular notion with the electorate, giving the IRS more money to harass them with.

You reap what you sow.

Tom
07-15-2014, 09:20 PM
We Americans have a proud history of helping those in need.

Send in your donations.

Save the IRS
Apply occam's razor across the board.

A razor is a good idea, but.......not across the board - across something else!
Remember all those bullets the Federal government bought?
I just thought of a good use for them.

GD the IRS......disband it and put those thieves in jail.

dartman51
07-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Good.

I love you man and you are a loyal employee, but your former employer has spent decades earning its reputation. And it isn't good, and not just because people just don't like paying taxes.

It's hard to go hat in hand for more funding when you've made enemies of everyone. What a popular notion with the electorate, giving the IRS more money to harass them with.

You reap what you sow.

Kind of like Obama, asking Congress for close to $4b for the border issue, and going out the same day and blaming the whole problem on them. :faint: Hold one hand out to shake your hand, while punching you in the nose with the other. :D

NJ Stinks
07-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Good.

You reap what you sow.

It's not easy trying to be fair but firm. I'm sure one reason the IRS jumps when getting a letter from a Congressman is because the IRS does not want to upset people who control their budget. The IRS does not want to play favorites with political parties for the same reason. Sooner or later the other party will be in the majority and will remember.

Same motivation to be fair with taxpayers. The last thing the IRS wants are the majority of Americans convinced the country would be better off without the IRS.

Having said the above, Lerner would have to be a complete fool to intentionally piss off either party or it's members. It's possible but the more plausible explanation is that Lois knew these non-profit applications smelled like dead fish but wasn't clever enough to dispose of the dead fish properly.

johnhannibalsmith
07-16-2014, 12:23 AM
It's not easy trying to be fair but firm. I'm sure one reason the IRS jumps when getting a letter from a Congressman is because the IRS does not want to upset people who control their budget. The IRS does not want to play favorites with political parties for the same reason. Sooner or later the other party will be in the majority and will remember.

Same motivation to be fair with taxpayers. The last thing the IRS wants are the majority of Americans convinced the country would be better off without the IRS.

Having said the above, Lerner would have to be a complete fool to intentionally piss off either party or it's members. It's possible but the more plausible explanation is that Lois knew these non-profit applications smelled like dead fish but wasn't clever enough to dispose of the dead fish properly.

I've never had a problem paying taxes, but you talk to enough people, and enough people isn't too many, you start really disliking the IRS.

The reality is that there is an expectation that we treat paying taxes as a duty and, honestly, I try to treat it as such.

Unfortunately - and this is just one reason why my liberal social attitude has become increasingly overshadowed by my conservative 'role of government' side - our representatives just piss our money away now without even the minimal consideration, break the country, demand more of our tax money for more frivolous shit, and then use the IRS to ruin your life if you don't merrily play along.

I'm a poor ****, you know that, pretty much always have been and usually by choice. Your tax code has become such a trainwreck that it is almost impossible to file honestly and not feel like you have something to worry about.

You people actually (sorry CJ's dad) have people believing that they will be in big mother****ing trouble if they don't windsprint to the mailbox before the last load goes out on April 15th. These people don't fear the warrant out for their arrest because of $4,000 in parking tickets in the glove, but they act like MacGuyver trying to snip the fuse before the timer hits zero they're so worried to death about what might happen if they happen to mail one of a billion envelopes going to the same place a day later.

Come on. Forget Lois Lerner. She's just the icing on the cake to piss off half the people that wrote your criminal tax code. People fear you and hate you. And you like it like that. But it does come at a price eventually.

mostpost
07-16-2014, 12:45 AM
If you are saying that the reason the IRS investigated more conservative applications than progressive was that the conservative applications were more deserving of investigation; then I have one response for you.
Right again, Mr. Stinks. :p

NJ Stinks
07-16-2014, 12:48 AM
I've never had a problem paying taxes, but you talk to enough people, and enough people isn't too many, you start really disliking the IRS.

The reality is that there is an expectation that we treat paying taxes as a duty and, honestly, I try to treat it as such.

Unfortunately - and this is just one reason why my liberal social attitude has become increasingly overshadowed by my conservative 'role of government' side - our representatives just piss our money away now without even the minimal consideration, break the country, demand more of our tax money for more frivolous shit, and then use the IRS to ruin your life if you don't merrily play along.

I'm a poor ****, you know that, pretty much always have been and usually by choice. Your tax code has become such a trainwreck that it is almost impossible to file honestly and not feel like you have something to worry about.

You people actually (sorry CJ's dad) have people believing that they will be in big mother****ing trouble if they don't windsprint to the mailbox before the last load goes out on April 15th. These people don't fear the warrant out for their arrest because of $4,000 in parking tickets in the glove, but they act like MacGuyver trying to snip the fuse before the timer hits zero they're so worried to death about what might happen if they happen to mail one of a billion envelopes going to the same place a day later.

Come on. Forget Lois Lerner. She's just the icing on the cake to piss off half the people that wrote your criminal tax code. People fear you and hate you. And you like it like that. But it does come at a price eventually.

I can't argue with your post, John. The IRS has made lots of blunders over the years - particularly when trying to collect money from somebody late making payment.

No doubt about it. People have more sympathy for the devil than the IRS.

Clocker
07-16-2014, 12:49 AM
If you are saying that the reason the IRS investigated more conservative applications than progressive was that the conservative applications were more deserving of investigation; then I have one response for you.
Right again

And you know this how? (Note that I said "know", not "believe".)

dartman51
07-16-2014, 08:34 AM
And you know this how? (Note that I said "know", not "believe".)

He doesn't "KNOW" jack shit about it. He is only parroting the party line. I guess he's not smart enough to know that the IRS "ADMITTED" the targeting, and apologized for it. :eek: I guess he felt he needed to "lend" some credibility to NJ's statement. :D :lol: Sorry, just thinking about that last line, makes me laugh. :D

Bettowin
07-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Flat tax.