PDA

View Full Version : Jockeys that deserve more mounts, or less mounts?

Nosed
07-15-2014, 10:54 AM
There's some jockey's I wouldn't mind seeing on more mounts. Don't even know if he's still riding but Hiram G. Rivera was one. John Bisono at Parx usually knows what to do when he gets a good mount. Corey Lanerie (even though he's a top Jock) kind of goes under the radar IMO.
On the other hand, jokers like Casey Kaufman, Jesse Lantz, Arguello should be cleaning the stables. Joe Johnson and Pat Johnston ( if he's still riding) should be retired.

TheEdge07
07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
There's some jockey's I wouldn't mind seeing on more mounts. Don't even know if he's still riding but Hiram G. Rivera was one. John Bisono at Parx usually knows what to do when he gets a good mount. Corey Lanerie (even though he's a top Jock) kind of goes under the radar IMO.
On the other hand, jokers like Casey Kaufman, Jesse Lantz, Arguello should be cleaning the stables. Joe Johnson and Pat Johnston ( if he's still riding) should be retired.

Bric Blanc brutal..there are those who will defend his turf riding..he sucks..

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Bric Blanc brutal..there are those who will defend his turf riding..he sucks..

Disagree. He's underrated. He rides the horses he has fine, he's improved as far as my eye can see.

Not4Love
07-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Brice is horrible . Can not get a speed horse to relax early. Favorite angle is Blanc to Talamo on a speed horse knocking on the door. I guess he's ok with a late closer or "one run" type of horse but not with a front runner.

plainolebill
07-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Tiago Pereira can ride, he should have a mount in every race.

Tall One
07-15-2014, 03:19 PM
That's not Fabio Arguello, Jr is it, Nosed? I thought he was done a long time ago...:confused:

One of the Johnsons, Joe I think, had a mount for Gary Hartledge (surprise!) I wanna say at Keeneland this April?

How's Gryder doing out on the coast, guys? I know he was picking up some mounts for Sheriffs (winner on Protocol a few starts back) but he seems out of the loop anymore.

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 03:24 PM

No doubt. He's strong.

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 03:25 PM
That's not Fabio Arguello, Jr is it, Nosed? I thought he was done a long time ago...:confused:

One of the Johnsons, Joe I think, had a mount for Gary Hartledge (surprise!) I wanna say at Keeneland this April?

How's Gryder doing out on the coast, guys? I know he was picking up some mounts for Sheriffs (winner on Protocol a few starts back) but he seems out of the loop anymore.

Gryder is fantastic, the guy rides very smart races whenever he gets a real shot, he should get more mounts, not sure why he doesn't.

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Brice is horrible . Can not get a speed horse to relax early. Favorite angle is Blanc to Talamo on a speed horse knocking on the door. I guess he's ok with a late closer or "one run" type of horse but not with a front runner.
Watch his rides on Do Some Magic at SA in Jan, Feb and March.

Nosed
07-15-2014, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=Tall One]That's not Fabio Arguello, Jr is it, Nosed? I thought he was done a long time ago...:confused:

Yep, that's him... pretty sure he's still riding in Kentucky circuit.

RunDustyRun
07-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Juan Hernandez at Golden gate is a jockey I would like to see try the SoCal circuit again...had a decent Del Mar meet a few years back but then couldn't get many live mounts at SA before heading back north....patient rider who can really rate a horse up front and was fairly decent on turf....other than on cheap speed, Edwin Maldonado is the SoCal jockey I have little time for...master of moving to quickly...

zico20
07-15-2014, 08:28 PM
Julien Laperoux sucks. He blows more races than all the other jockeys combined. Yes, I can't stand him.

moneyandland
07-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Excuse me while I puke my guts out, this joker cost me the Pk6 on a $12 ticket blowing the last at Los Al on Sat, terrible, terrible ride looking back waiting on competition in a 4 horse race, instead of pushing a cheap horse to an open lead, I realize everyone makes mistakes just too soon to see that name as a guy that deserves more mounts lol

Robert Fischer
07-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Junior Alvarado seems like he could handle even better mounts. http://form.horseracing.betfair.com/jockey?jockeyId=2.00125057

I don't know enough about Florent Geroux, but he seems like he understands turf race dynamics and can sit a good trip. I don't know whether or not he can be aggressive when the situation calls for it. http://form.horseracing.betfair.com/jockey?jockeyId=2.00119101

I used to like Luis Villanueva a lot, but he just has never gotten any mounts (and when he does, they're 30-1 shots for small barns). It's been a long enough time, and I also haven't noticed as many of the sporadic move-up rides that he had been producing, that I have kind of lost interest in him as a prospect at this point. http://form.horseracing.betfair.com/jockey?jockeyId=2.00147118

Rise Over Run
07-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Don't even know if he's still riding but Hiram G. Rivera was one.
He moved back to Puerto Rico last year. No idea if he is riding there or not.

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Excuse me while I puke my guts out, this joker cost me the Pk6 on a $12 ticket blowing the last at Los Al on Sat, terrible, terrible ride looking back waiting on competition in a 4 horse race, instead of pushing a cheap horse to an open lead, I realize everyone makes mistakes just too soon to see that name as a guy that deserves more mounts lol

The stretch is 4 million feet, all the jocks hand ride that lane, he didnt' do much different than anyone else would have done, these are very cheap horses, you can't push the button too soon.

moneyandland
07-15-2014, 09:38 PM
The stretch is 4 million feet, all the jocks hand ride that lane, he didnt' do much different than anyone else would have done, these are very cheap horses, you can't push the button too soon.

So you give up your 4 length lead to let another horse draw even with you before you begin to ask your horse? Rather take a shot and push it too soon than not push it at all. A cheap horse will quit chasing if it cant get close, but let em get half a chance and they'll surprise you with the fight they have, he lost by 1/2 inch not 2 lengths in that case i'm going to blame the jock 99.9% of the time if they acted like it was a given turning for home

affirmedny
07-15-2014, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Tall One]That's not Fabio Arguello, Jr is it, Nosed? I thought he was done a long time ago...:confused:

Yep, that's him... pretty sure he's still riding in Kentucky circuit.

Riding at Louisiana Downs, but currently injured

sandpit
07-15-2014, 10:00 PM
Geroux was on fire on Arlington Million Preview day; he won all three stakes he rode in against some of the heavy-hitters who were in town. Always nice to see a home-track jock hold his own.

I haven't talked to Fabio in years, but he was always super-nice when I was around him. Won the KY Oaks in the early 90s. I know he took a long time off when his father, who also rode, passed away.

EMD4ME
07-15-2014, 11:00 PM
The answer to this post is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY simple.

Every single jockey in north America deserves less mounts as they all have huge and apparent shortcomings.

There is only one jockey who deserves more mounts..... but unfortunately due to an early retirement can not ride any more....

RAMON DOMINGUEZ PERIOD

plainolebill
07-16-2014, 01:22 AM

You do know Pereira won the Dubai World Cup? ;)

moneyandland
07-16-2014, 07:37 PM
You do know Pereira won the Dubai World Cup? ;)

Yeah and Bill Turner won the triple crown and Stewart Elliott won the KY Derby, a good horse can turn a chump into a champ, were talking about jockeys that can do the opposite...

Tall One
07-16-2014, 08:10 PM
I haven't talked to Fabio in years, but he was always super-nice when I was around him. Won the KY Oaks in the early 90s. I know he took a long time off when his father, who also rode, passed away.

He was one of my favorite jocks on the local circuit here, I just wasn't aware where he'd moved his tack.

Didn't know of his father's passing, sandpit. I remember out at Keeneland years ago, both Arguellos rode against each other in the same race.

affirmedny
07-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Yeah and Bill Turner won the triple crown and Stewart Elliott won the KY Derby, a good horse can turn a chump into a champ, were talking about jockeys that can do the opposite...

Mr. Elliot evidently is one of the few jockeys who's recognized the speed bias at Del Mar today.

EMD4ME
07-17-2014, 08:48 PM

Ramon Ramon Ramon Ramon.... the only one in the last ten years who could elevate a horse.

EMD4ME
07-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Mr. Elliot evidently is one of the few jockeys who's recognized the speed bias at Del Mar today.

Maybe true but a broken clock is right twice a day. The jockey's today don't know their ass from their elbow. They are legally brain dead.

affirmedny
07-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Maybe true but a broken clock is right twice a day. The jockey's today don't know their ass from their elbow. They are legally brain dead.

This clock has been right over 4600 times......

Stillriledup
07-17-2014, 09:09 PM

:D

Good post, i agree, most jocks just hop aboard and go where the wind blows them.

PhantomOnTour
07-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Ramon Dominguez deserves more mounts :(

EMD4ME
07-17-2014, 11:47 PM
This clock has been right over 4600 times......

Longevity and many mounts. That's how that clock told the correct time 4600 times.

Ramon rides Smarty in the Belmont, he wins wrapped up by 7.

johnhannibalsmith
07-18-2014, 02:06 AM
Julien Laperoux sucks. He blows more races than all the other jockeys combined. Yes, I can't stand him.

First name that popped into my head too. I know the guy wins a pile of races, but it is a mystery to me how it happens.

Robert Fischer
10-11-2021, 02:24 PM
Luis Villanueva listed as Jock of :2: SUGAR STREAK r6 Parx today.

It's nice to see his stats. He's had some rides. I don't know his story.

Always been a favorite rider of mine. Style is like a poor-man's Ramon Dominguez. Smart great hands.

I used to like Luis Villanueva a lot, but he just has never gotten any mounts (and when he does, they're 30-1 shots for small barns). It's been a long enough time, and I also haven't noticed as many of the sporadic move-up rides that he had been producing, that I have kind of lost interest in him as a prospect at this point.

Robert Fischer
10-11-2021, 03:34 PM
R6 - not as much horse as the rivals, today.

did some race riding into the 1st-turn. Got position. Heavy pressure late on the backstretch. Cool to see him.

it was interesting to hear the Parx handicapper pick the :2: on top and some positive words about Luis.

Probably an underlay today betting.

I didn't realize that this thread was so old. Should have posted it in the 'excellent rides' current thread. Sorry can delete.

classhandicapper
10-11-2021, 06:16 PM
I'm with EMD4ME.

I've seen a lot of great jockeys, but it's hard for me to come up with someone that does/did virtually everything well and moved up horses so often when they switched to him. Ramon was probably the best I ever saw (sorry Angel). It was a monumental loss when he had to retire.

Robert Fischer
10-11-2021, 11:00 PM
I'm with EMD4ME.

I've seen a lot of great jockeys, but it's hard for me to come up with someone that does/did virtually everything well and moved up horses so often when they switched to him. Ramon was probably the best I ever saw (sorry Angel). It was a monumental loss when he had to retire.
So who are the best jockeys today?

yea agree on Ramon
Ramon is one of the all-time greats. You can just start pulling up races near the beginning of his with his stakes resume and you get like 2006 Pimlico Special Invasor... and OK, it looked like a great ride and stretch, but we know Invasor is a better horse than Wanderin Boy,
and then you go somewhere like 2007 Clark Handicap, and Ramon virtually picks A P Arrow up and carries him through the stretch. So many occasions. I tend to remember his runs into the first turn of routes on forward horses. Synergy, or at the very least 'teamwork' with a horse.

Today? - Wish I knew them all better. Ortiz is great. Prat seems to have that skill. I don't know enough about Prat to say that he isn't as athletic as some other jocks but the intelligence and feel and position is evident.
Rosario seems to flash some greatness. Rosario is a guy who gets some good open mounts, but just the same, some of his trainer-jock numbers outshine the trainer's baseline. Saez rises to the biggest meets.
Geroux?
Rispoli?
Hernandez?
Frey?
do these guys belong?
Know I missed some
International?

Don't know the book on every jock, and I'm usually not even factoring jocks.

Robert Fischer
10-12-2021, 11:55 AM
looking at Thistle
Probably not the home of elite jocks, but they have interesting variety, and you find some jocks that have great agents and medium skill, some with skill, and some journeyman (be kind).

/digging through the card
Race 4 today

:1: 3-1ml - I have the jock as 'solid', projects to lead. Just broke mdn and is 3-1, 2/5from TFUS power ratings... potentially a lean against here.

:4: 9/2ml - Chavez seems to me one of the better jocks at circuit. Fair ml price. One of the Presque Isle shippers. Hasn't done much running lately. Troublesome that pedigree suggests 'Turf', but has done all his 'running' on dirt. Better speed on dirt, but that was for Schikedanz, not Winters/Lodono. On the fence with this one, but I do think that circuit-switch and Chavez will put into the game. Exotics.

:5: 7/2ml - Berrios has strong stats. I don't know all of the subtleties of this circuit, but he did not impress me as a top rider on the circuit. Last race 10/1 vs. better, 'even' 3rd after leading a slow bunched up pace and being tackled early and wide. I'm leaning against today if at or below ml'

:7: 15/1ml - 1 for 66... Halder is a smart jock at the circuit. Haldar isn't going to swing form reversals, but is a nice rider. Unfortunately, has already been riding this one. The Interesting change here is switch from Inirio/Inirio to Nabu Morales/Morlona Racing... even posts a work. Hey if he's longest or 2nd longest shot, could get 3rd or 4th...

betting? - maybe 'Action'.. I'll throw a dime :4:/most/most/:7:
some 'happenings' but not a dream scenario

perhaps a double r4 -r5 :4: over :3:
r5
:3: Haldar projects loose 8-1ml accurate? (if so, some 'Win' etc)
:2: Rivera and :6:Gonzales capable of contending

Tom
10-12-2021, 01:21 PM
Dylan Davis and Kendrick Carmouche should get a lot more mounts.
Probably any rider who had the lead in any race over the weekend....:rolleyes:

Robert Fischer
10-12-2021, 02:33 PM
Thistle- Too bad they didn't offer race1 P5 today.
4-15-7 su a few dimes pending 'official' ok.. $21? su not terrible... Nabu:7: nearly won that race. Significant improvement.
2nd-at-worst if Chavez let Haldar 'team up' in the drive (lucky he herded him wide)
chalk-chalkChavez-Haldar-ChavezPick-r5 w/ the 38-1ml or 3rivalchalks likely..

Tom -Kendrick Carmouche made me a few bucks on a multi-race wager, or two, at Belmont/Saratoga. Thinking it was on the pace turf routes.
Dylan Davis and Kendrick Carmouche should get a lot more mounts.
Probably any rider who had the lead in any race over the weekend....:rolleyes:

the little guy
10-12-2021, 02:43 PM
Tom -Kendrick Carmouche made me a few bucks on a multi-race wager, or two, at Belmont/Saratoga. Thinking it was on the pace turf routes.

Kendrick didn't ride at Saratoga

Boomer
10-12-2021, 02:55 PM
Dylan Davis is having his breakout year and seems to be launching his way into the elite status IMO. Wondering if he is heading south for the winter. I think he is ready.

Boomer
10-12-2021, 02:58 PM
And guys like Arnaldo Bocachica, king of CharlesTown. Would be interesting to see how he would do in the Major Leagues. But likely not to see that.

He makes plenty of $$$ at CT and I imagine he would win the quality of life catagory. 8 wins Saturday

the little guy
10-12-2021, 03:09 PM
Dylan Davis is having his breakout year and seems to be launching his way into the elite status IMO. Wondering if he is heading south for the winter. I think he is ready.

Ready to ride for less money and struggle for mounts? Hard to see Dylan heading South. In fact, more riders are starting to stay in NY during the Winter. Javier Castellano and Jose Ortiz are staying at Aqueduct.

Robert Fischer
10-12-2021, 03:10 PM
Kendrick didn't ride at Saratoga
thanks, had to've been Belmont then. Projected loose. Mid-price.

looking at Thistle
Haldar is a smart jock at the circuit. Haldar isn't going to swing form reversals, but is a nice rider.
betting? - maybe 'Action'.. I'll throw a dime :4:/most/most/:7:
some 'happenings' but not a dream scenario

r5
:3: Haldar projects loose 8-1ml accurate? (if so, some 'Win' etc)
:2: Rivera and :6:Gonzales capable of contending

https://i.ibb.co/v4nLppm/fist-bump.png
https://i.ibb.co/JkV6smJ/Haldar.png

i have no idea in no order thistle
Haldar
Chavez
dominguez
Correa
rivera
a. diaz - smart
j bracho -athletic

quit for the day

Boomer
10-12-2021, 05:18 PM
Ready to ride for less money and struggle for mounts? Hard to see Dylan heading South. In fact, more riders are starting to stay in NY during the Winter. Javier Castellano and Jose Ortiz are staying at Aqueduct.

Maybe, if Javier and Jose stay North, there are two elite jocks he does not have to compete with.

At this point in his career, shouldn't he be staying to the top trainers, who will have their best horses in Florida. And he has already started gaining traction with some of the big boys. The timing seems to be right for him to make the move.

Clemente and Chad also ship to Tampa or actually stable there and he can pick up some of those mounts, and they may not always be their second string?

And he is still young. Winter in Ozone Park or Hallandale?

the little guy
10-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Maybe, if Javier and Jose stay not North, that are two elite jocks he does not have to compete with.

At this point in his career, shouldn't he be staying to the top trainers, who will have their best horses in Florida. And he has already started gaining traction with some of the big boys. The timing seems to be right for him to make the move.

Clemente and Chad also ship to Tampa or actually stable there and he can pick up some of those mounts, and they may not always be their second string?

And he is still young. Winter in Ozone Park or Hallandale?

Tampa? Their purses are tiny.

Wintering in NY is his best career move.

RunDustyRun
10-12-2021, 05:42 PM
Javier Castellano seems to be fading...just not as strong in the lane these days and it is noticeable when a stronger jockey is riding next to him down the stretch...

Rafael Hernandez is a rider I've always had time for....tried Keeneland a few years back and I thought he was on to bigger and better things but it's not like Woodbine is some back water track

the little guy
10-12-2021, 05:48 PM
Javier Castellano seems to be fading...just not as strong in the lane these days and it is noticeable when a stronger jockey is riding next to him down the stretch...

Rafael Hernandez is a rider I've always had time for....tried Keeneland a few years back and I thought he was on to bigger and better things but it's not like Woodbine is some back water track

I don't think you have been paying attention to how well Javier is riding this meet at Belmont.

Robert Fischer
10-14-2021, 12:34 PM
Thursday, Belmont back.

Gonna check out some of these riders

Tom
10-14-2021, 01:45 PM
I don't think you have been paying attention to how well Javier is riding this meet at Belmont.

I have. 29% exacta finishes in turf routes.
That is far better than his 10% at Saratoga.

Jeff P
10-14-2021, 02:21 PM
Imo, Javier has been really effective from off the pace - especially when he works out a trip allowing him to tip to the outside. (Saturday's G1 on the turf. Earlier in today's BEL R3.)

On the other hand, when he rides from off the pace and decides (or is forced) to stay inside - his bid usually fizzles. (Earlier in today's BEL R1.)

Could be the prevailing bias hasn't been kind to rail closing trips. Or maybe he's been unlucky and managed to find traffic the handful of times I've seen him try to close along the inside through the stretch.

Guess I need to go back and watch a lot more video if I want to better understand why he's been so much better closing on the outside than on the inside.

-jp

Robert Fischer
10-14-2021, 02:28 PM
Davis with a nice drive to win R1
I don't 'love' him visually #eyetest on a horse, but solid

but in the 4th
ouch... Rosario completely outclassed them all. Apparently 'live' or perhaps he actually had awareness of getting forward mid race given the obvious pace scenario.

Davis broke with :6: Tingling Mint, but seemed to either have the misfortune of a really off-form mount, or ride as if he had no understanding of the race.

Cherry on top was having to 'wait' and swing out near last :bang:

I'm still looking at these guys. Just been getting into the physicality stuff, but 'positional awareness' is a skill that is a must have to compete at the highest level.

Lezcano looks pretty good on a horse at the moment. I'm looking before I know the names.

SG4
10-14-2021, 09:06 PM
There's a jockey named on a mount at Belmont tomorrow, Edward Escobar, who according to Equibase has ridden sparingly in North America since 1997 with 79 rides, and has yet to hit the board. That has got to be a record for futility I'd think :confused:

classhandicapper
10-15-2021, 10:40 AM
I'm going to say Jose Vargas Jr deserves more and better mounts in NY despite recent struggles in NY.

Robert Fischer
10-17-2021, 01:54 PM
Lezcano looks pretty good on a horse at the moment. I'm looking before I know the names.

https://twitter.com/jason_kassa/status/1449793726830813187

Another good recent ride by Jose Lezcano.

(among several recent rides, Yesterday a nice ride in the G2 Sands Point aboard the Abreu long shot.)

you know, made the comment above after scouting Belmont and Thistle Downs briefly for 'physicality' (sorta like the eye test, w/ some reasonable fundamental insight) of how a jock looks to me on a horse. I didn't want the names to bias me, so did it 'blind' (unintentional humor).

Was surprised it was Lezcano and not Jose Ortiz (who also sits nice on a horse) or someone.

Is it me :coffee:, or did Lezcano recently riding a nice streak where he's gone from a 'C' rider in the colony to a 'B-' or even 'B' for a while?

I know Keeneland is running, I know even Javier has come roaring back to form and looking a bit better than the Summer racing, but hey I made a message board comment, and hit a $5.70 exacta... :jump::jump:

I'm going to say Jose Vargas Jr deserves more and better mounts in NY despite recent struggles in NY.

seen some good solid rides from Vargas:ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
10-19-2021, 09:32 PM
Luis Villanueva

had two more mounts since I posted the other day.

both were long shots that ran 3rd, both over $10 to show. :ThmbUp:

handicapped the most recent one. $12k?clm Turf horse who had no business finishing in the top half of the field. Didn't worry about it and went to a funeral. Horse was no good.

He got the lead inside and took it a long way, looked beaten for 3rd but persevered to hold 3rd and galloped out well.

looked like a bad $5k? claim a while back, and then 3-back the jockey change and has been chipping away at relatively 'break even' and certainly entertaining.

Didn't play either one. This recent race had a horse who dueled him who fin 2nd while much-the-best... pretty logical 'key', and then luis V. 3rd... about $500 Tri... $11? to show... Always looks good after the race..