PDA

View Full Version : Surface Pro 3

hracingplyr
07-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Just wondering if anyone has purchased a Surface Pro 3 and what are the pros and cons of it?

bob

DJofSD
07-15-2014, 10:35 AM
I played with one in a store yesterday.

One of the first things I always check is the keyboard. And, as I expected, it is a bit on the small side for me.

What I mean is the width of the keyboard and how my fingers fall onto the keys in the home position. With my hands and fingers, it requires the fingers to be gathered together instead of naturally falling onto the keys.

For short periods of time, it would be OK, and, it is not any different than my MBP. And to be complete, for most of my computers, especially the ones used for writing code, I have full sized externals.

Whether or not these new beasts could actually be used for a main code development machine is still not clear to me.

TonyMLake
08-03-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm not running a windows tablet - a Samsung here. I know the Windows tablets are more full featured than just about any of the other tablets in terms of being desktop-like... but... there are IDE's for Android devices.

But Main code development machine?

No way! Not for me, and for precisely the reasons you've said. Basically, the speed of doing everyday small tasks is exaggerated by the environment. Even though these mini time-dilations seems small, they add up to a giant pain in the behind overall.

I've heard great things about the Windows Surface devices - and from other developers... but then, none of us were considering them for serious development (It usually devolves into enjoying the MS-Office features but hating the MS-Office Subscription paradigm no matter who I'm talking to).

Quick code updates or throwing together some small app for a specific purpose, maybe. I absolutely must have my desktop and an emulator for developing and testing.

... at least so far.