PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Ramone R I P

GaryG
07-14-2014, 01:32 PM
The last of the original Ramones....gone too soon as were they all. Hey PA: As a metalhead you had to love Johnny's guitar playing. The rapid fire 1/8 note downstroke laid the foundation for what was to follow. No fancy hot licks, just kick as R&R. One of my favorite bands for sure.

PhantomOnTour
07-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Read about his death a few days ago...they are all gone now.
Sad news.

When I went to NY a few years ago I went to the Bowery to find CBGB's, but it is no longer, too.

Sheena Is A Punk Rocker was my favorite Ramones cut.

RunForTheRoses
07-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Rest in Peace!

Boy time flies, all gone now. I never got into them when I was real young in the late 70s, I didn't get them, they seemed to goofy and I wanted to hear long guitar solos. What I didn't realize at the time is that they were capturing a real Rock and Roll sound and stripping away all the bombastic bullshit.

This is a good documentary, I got it on a torrent site but you can watch on the computer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXpRBfC9Tq0

TJDave
07-14-2014, 04:50 PM
I didn't get them, they seemed to goofy and I wanted to hear long guitar solos. What I didn't realize at the time is that they were capturing a real Rock and Roll sound

God-awful, extremely loud, crap. Just the mention of the name Ramones is enough to give me a migraine.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2014, 11:59 AM
The last of the original Ramones....gone too soon as were they all. Hey PA: As a metalhead you had to love Johnny's guitar playing. The rapid fire 1/8 note downstroke laid the foundation for what was to follow. No fancy hot licks, just kick as R&R. One of my favorite bands for sure.I was never into the Ramones...I liked a few of their songs, but never bought a single album back in the day and never thought twice about it...totally indifferent about them...

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
The last of the original Ramones....gone too soon as were they all. Hey PA: As a metalhead you had to love Johnny's guitar playing. The rapid fire 1/8 note downstroke laid the foundation for what was to follow. No fancy hot licks, just kick as R&R. One of my favorite bands for sure.In terms of my favorite "no fancy hot licks" player...Angus Young comes to mind...there are probably others as well that I'm forgetting about...