PDA

View Full Version : Beer ? Anybody? Check it out

JustRalph
07-14-2014, 02:12 AM
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/the-current/eat-and-drink/What-If-You-Could-Bring-A-Beer-Tap-Hiking.html

I don't drink very much, but my interest is peaked........

http://cf-resrc.outsideonline.com/S=W800,U/C=W100P,H100P/O=90,P/http://media.outsideonline.com/images/Synek-draft-system-beer-main_h.jpg

HUSKER55
07-14-2014, 06:35 AM
when I was in college we used to buy tappers and keep in the fridge. This would have save us the trouble of getting up! :D :D

TJDave
07-14-2014, 09:37 AM
Buying a six pack doesn't work anymore?

DJofSD
07-14-2014, 09:52 AM
First there was wine in a box, now, beer in a bag. What will they think of next.

Time to remodel the kitchen or get rid of the coffee maker taking up room on the counter top.

P.S. http://www.museumofman.org/beer

ManU918
07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
As a big beer drinker (90% craft/local breweries) I can confidently say that if they can secure deals with breweries throughout the country to package their products to fit in a SYNEK, that this will be huge. They claim to have 700 breweries already signed up to start packaging their beers to fit in the SYNEK... That might sound like a lot but its really not. Especially since it would be illegal for me to buy packaged beer online from a different state. That being said... I love the fact that this comes with a cartridge that you can bring to a brewery to get filled. Once this hits the market I will definitely be buying one. I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by a bunch of amazing breweries where I currently go and get my growlers filled up from time to time. So if I can go and get 11 beer pouches filled... One word... Genius.

Clocker
07-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Looks like a solution in search of a problem. Projected cost of $300 for the machine, plus CO2 cartridges plus buying and shipping the beer. And you end up with the equivalent of 11 cans of beer on tap. With shipping, it is hard to imagine that the total cost of the beer would be less than buying a 12 pack at the local liquor store. I see no application for a home brewer. And no beer drinker is worried about keeping 11 cans of beer fresh for 30 days.

johnhannibalsmith
07-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Yeah but it looks cool and that's what drives everything I think.

ManU918
07-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Looks like a solution in search of a problem. Projected cost of $300 for the machine, plus CO2 cartridges plus buying and shipping the beer. And you end up with the equivalent of 11 cans of beer on tap. With shipping, it is hard to imagine that the total cost of the beer would be less than buying a 12 pack at the local liquor store. I see no application for a home brewer. And no beer drinker is worried about keeping 11 cans of beer fresh for 30 days.

You're never going to be able to get beer shipped to you. Also, you don't think if you buy the beer to fit in this device at a store or go to a brewery and have your cartridges filled that overtime it will pay for itself? Bottles and cans aren't free or reusable.

Clocker
07-14-2014, 01:13 PM
You're never going to be able to get beer shipped to you.

Are you kidding? Amazon will soon deliver it by drone. :p

JustRalph
07-14-2014, 03:32 PM
It appears that you will have full control over temperature, which is big deal in taste difference. Most people who buy a beer in a bar have no idea what temp it's being served. That could be a game changer for some. I rarely drink, but this could be a very nice little kitchen add on.

ManU918
07-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Are you kidding? Amazon will soon deliver it by drone. :p

It's illegal to bring alcohol across state lines... Sure everyone does it when they are traveling to see someone going from state to state or in my case a lot of people drive to Delaware because its a lot cheaper than buying beer in the city but unless there is a law change coming that I don't know about... Amazon will not be selling beer anytime soon.

ManU918
07-14-2014, 04:06 PM
It appears that you will have full control over temperature, which is big deal in taste difference. Most people who buy a beer in a bar have no idea what temp it's being served. That could be a game changer for some. I rarely drink, but this could be a very nice little kitchen add on.

I agree 100% with this. But then of course we will have those who will say beer is beer and that's definitely the case if you're drinking beers like bud, coors, miller, etc.

Clocker
07-14-2014, 04:16 PM
It's illegal to bring alcohol across state lines...

The remark about beer from Amazon was sarcastic.

Legality of interstate purchases depends on the state you live in. You can buy wine and liquor on line and have it delivered to most states. Here is one online store in NJ (http://www.winechateau.com/csupport-shipping.html#) (picked at random, I know nothing about it). The site says:

Domestic State Restrictions
Currently, we are NOT shipping to: North Dakota, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah.

Jeff P
07-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I LIKE the idea - and will probably get one.

re: The Amazon comment and restricted states...
Domestic State Restrictions
Currently, we are NOT shipping to: North Dakota, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah.If you go to an ADW (for horse race betting) and try to sign up for a new account - you will find the the list of restricted states to be much longer - and restrictions such that you as a customer have to jump through way more hoops to bet on a horse race - than you do to get a bottle of wine delivered to your home.

Anyone else find that truly sad?

-jp

Wiley
07-14-2014, 05:19 PM
I see no application for a home brewer.
I homebrew and recently attended the AHA home brewers convention in Grand Rapids and these guys had a booth there, unfortunately I did not talk to them.

If you brew in 5 gallon batches my guess is you would just need 5 of their containers or just syphon off a storage carboy as you go. The problem I do see is how many CO2 cartridges would you need to force carbonate your non primed homebrew? My guess is a couple to get to a decent carbonation level as opposed to the normal amount to push already carbonated beer out of the tap.

I built my own tap system out of an old frig, 5 gallon soda keg, and a tank of CO2 for my homebrew, but if this works with homebrews, it would be a neat way to go.

I am sure if these become popular you will be able to buy full containers of your favorite brews for this device at your local party store or you can always go to a nearby brewpub and get the containers filled like a growler so don't really see a need for shipping unless you are into a beer you cannot get locally.

I would like to see how easy it is to clean because tap lines do need to be cleaned once in awhile otherwise you can get contaminated beer.