PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Picks: Sunday, July 13

Teach
07-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Final day of the Belmont Park spring-summer meet. As “The Happenings” would sing: “See You In September”.

Race One:

Can they make them any tougher? I think I can make a case for and against every horse in this maiden-claiming route field. I feel as if I were throwing darts blindfolded, but I’ve settled on :4: Quality Legend. Admittedly, this Gone West-bred filly has shown cero. Yet….she does have excuses, which is more that I can say for some of the others. First, in all her races she’s faced much better. In her first try on a sloppy surface she showed little and finished “up the track”. Her second try was also on a wet surface; in that one, a short field event, she finished last. In her most recent effort, about a month ago, she tried the lawn and finished near the rear. Yet, she does have excuses. Are these excuses a big enough explanation for her poor showing to make her a player here. I just don’t know; yet I’m willing to expend some “lettuce” to find out.

Others: :3: Tordita; :2: Pitched; :7: Kevin’s Kool Kat

Race Two:

I like two horses here in this maiden-special turf-sprint for New York state-breds. My choices are: :7: The Lady’s Cruisen. The Southern Halo-bred filly finished third in similar company a little less than a month ago. Solid connections in jockey Cornelio Velasquz and trainer Linda Rice. Any slight improvement… Also receiving strong consideration is the rail horse: :1: Jennys Creek with “Johnny V” in the irons for trainer Carlos Martin. This Mr. Greeley-bred mare has never won on the lawn, but she has graced the tote on nine of 15 lifetime lawn tries.

Others: :5: Babby B; :3: Josie’s Prospect

Race Three:

In the ungraded Rockville Center sprint, I like :5: International Star. I mean I’m frothing at the mouth, drooling even. My only caveat is that the Mr. Prospector-bred colt won his first and only start on the lawn. I see no receive why he also should do well on the main track. Anything resembling that maiden-breaking win... I repeat any resemblance to that maiden-breaking win and it should be clear sailing to the winner’s circle. Now don’t expect much in return. You’re looking at a paltry payoff on your straight-bet action; you might want to consider exotics and hope that you can “skooch” in a bomb behind the perceived winner.

Others: :6: Cosmo Storm; :2: Bustin It; :4: Midnight Nick

Race Four:

A claiming 7-panel turf race. I’m leaning toward :9: Implied, almost by default. The Wild Again-bred filly is cutting back and adding blinkers. One of the top riders, Joel Rosario, is in the irons. Although beaten by weaker in her last in Delaware, this filly should be a factor here in a wide-open race.

Others: :8: Mo Didn’t Know; :7: Fall Into Faith; :3: Poor Etiquette

Race Five:

In this 6-Furlong claimer I’m leaning toward :3: Valerie Victoria. Yes, Dylan Davis has been shutout in the few rides she’s undertaken at Belmont, but this horse in this race could get her "off the schneid”. For one, the filly has faced much better. At Churchill, back around Thanksgiving of last year, Dylan Davis did record a convincing win. Oh, the capable Bruce Brown trains. If Davis decides to jump out for the lead, she immediately becomes a factor here.

Others: :5: High Inflation; :8: Rettalfa; :7: Vinhdication

Race Six:

In this claiming event on the turf, non-winners of three, I’m taking a stab with a bit of a longshot, :7: Mr. Masterpiece. This Mr. Greeley-bred gelding is dropping down the claiming ranks and cutting back a couple panels off his last effort. On his best, this horse could surprise at a nice price. Rajiv Maragh is in the irons.

Others: :2: Rangey; :3: Slamarama; :6: Special Selection.

Race Seven:

In this optional claimer at a mile, I’m going with :4: Crafty Dreamer with Joel Rosario in the irons. The 5 year-old Danzig-bred horse had a sharp recent work in which he drilled five panels in a minute and two ticks. The horse could do little in a late-May in a New York state-bred stakes, a race in which he finished fifth from the extreme outside post. He now draws better and faces a less taxing crowd.

Others: :3: Summer Sunset; :5: Mighty Ian; :7: Wabbajack.

Race Eight:

In this allowance route for state-breds on the turf , I like :2: Lubash. The Christophe Clement trainee has hit the board in all five of his most recent starts. The Freud-bred horse was second in the Kingston in his last. A recent sharp work says he’s ready. Junior Alvarado reprises the ride. In his current sharp form, he should prevail here.

Others: :1: Compliance Officer; :5: Notacatbutallama; :7: Barrel of Love

Race Nine:

In the Belmont finale, an optional claiming turf sprint for New York state-breds, I’m going with :1: White Sangria. This chestnut Giant’s Causeway-bred mare just may skim the hedge and never look back. “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario, rides for trainer Tom Bush. The only caveat is that the mare has been away from the races for nearly four months. Yet, if reasonably ready, she can prevail.

Others: :2: One Time Only; :4: Fancy Boss; :9: Image of Noon.

DeltaLover
07-13-2014, 11:54 AM
Race One:

:4: Quality Legend. Admittedly, this Gone West-bred filly has shown cero.

For whatever this means, Quality Legend is by Elusive Quality who is a son of Gone West..

Rise Over Run
07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Race Five:

In this 6-Furlong claimer I’m leaning toward :3: Valerie Victoria. Yes, Dylan Davis has been shutout in the few rides she’s undertaken at Belmont, but this horse in this race could get her "off the schneid”. For one, the filly has faced much better. At Churchill, back around Thanksgiving of last year, Dylan Davis did record a convincing win. Oh, the capable Bruce Brown trains. If Davis decides to jump out for the lead, she immediately becomes a factor here.

FYI - Dylan is a dude. :eek: :eek: