PDA

View Full Version : FOR THOSE WHO SIDED WITH STEVE COBURN

NY BRED
07-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Delmar was trying to get CC to appear on Pacific Classic Day.

Here's the response from one of the a*&hole owners of DAP.

It costs money to ship him; it’s a day off from the horse’s training and other things that affect the horse,” Martin said. “We bought the horse to race him, not parade him. Yuba City (where Martin is from) wants to do the same thing, parade him up here. We don’t own the horse to parade him. He’s a racehorse.”

Perry Martin is one of the DAP partners, all of sudden appears making this
statement instead of Steve Coburn, who will ultimately enter The
Racing Hall of Shame for thoroughbred Owners. :mad:

So much for America's horse ;hold up Delmar for 50k to ship and
insure the horse? If the horse was insured early on, he is covered
for the policy year! Aside from being an owner, I'm also an Insurance
Broker, so this is pure B.S. Losing a day from training is a monumental
issue??????
At the end of the day, this crew figures there will probably be a bigger
attendance with CC appearing at Delmar, so they too should profit.

Just about 3,000,000 banked with this horse and 50k is a deal breaker.

Said story for a fairy tale horse tainted by his owners.

Hopefully the emergence of certain rising stars will overshadow
CC.

ArlJim78
07-12-2014, 12:57 PM
not that I care much for these owners, but I can certainly understand not wanting to parade the horse. how many other top horses in active training are making appearances? none that I know of.

thespaah
07-12-2014, 01:05 PM
I think race fans may just be a bit sour on CC because of the owner's boorish behavior.
If one has bad thoughts, 'tis better to keep them to one's self.

Dark Horse
07-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Not only would there be no point in parading CC on Pacific Classic day, but Shared Belief may well be pointed towards the Pacific Classic.

Parading. :D

RXB
07-12-2014, 01:13 PM
I have no problem with the owners not wanting to parade the horse. When CC shows up to run, people can come and see him at what matters-- racing.

letswastemoney
07-12-2014, 01:15 PM
I can't complain since I just fed Chrome cookies on Tuesday.

What the above commenters wrote is right. He shouldn't be parading as an active horse if he's back at the racetrack. Prepare for the next race.

mountainman
07-12-2014, 01:43 PM
There have been very few 2-leg winners I would walk 50 feet to watch "parade." CC is not on the list. In fact, were I playing Del Mar that afternoon, I'd pay them to NOT parade him and just get on with the action.

But, then again, thanksgiving morning bores me to tears.

lamboguy
07-12-2014, 01:46 PM
There have been very few 2-leg winners I would walk 50 feet to watch "parade." CC is not on the list. In fact, were I playing Del Mar that afternoon, I'd pay them to NOT parade him and just get on with the action.

But, then again, thanksgiving morning bores me to tears.if they had a West Virginia Bred that happened to be in that spot and they were parading him in Charlietown and The Mountain, you would be buying binoculars to make sure you didn't miss anything.

RXB
07-12-2014, 01:53 PM
if they had a West Virginia Bred that happened to be in that spot and they were parading him in Charlietown and The Mountain, you would be buying binoculars to make sure you didn't miss anything.

And if a cow was jumping over a moon made of green cheese I'd have those binoculars ready, too.

Greyfox
07-12-2014, 02:19 PM
I have no problem with the owners not wanting to parade the horse. When CC shows up to run, people can come and see him at what matters-- racing.

I have no problem with the owners doing what they are doing either.
They once again though showed a lack of class in how they responded to turning down the request.

Rex Phinney
07-12-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't have a problem with the track wanting him there, I also don't see a problem with the owners turning it down.

The real moronic part of this is that it ended up in the papers. It's a bad look for all involved, discuss all this behind closed doors and keep moving.

One upside to the article is they might be shooting down the race at Los Al, that's a good move, he needs to prep for the BC at Santa Anita.

And FWIW Coburn is minority owner, Martin owns 66%.

Rex Phinney
07-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I can't complain since I just fed Chrome cookies on Tuesday.

I went to see him Yesterday, where do you live?

letswastemoney
07-12-2014, 02:35 PM
I went to see him Yesterday, where do you live?Near the Bay Area. Around Livermore/Pleasanton/Dublin area.

How was the visit? See, he is the people's horse!

mountainman
07-12-2014, 02:40 PM
if they had a West Virginia Bred that happened to be in that spot and they were parading him in Charlietown and The Mountain, you would be buying binoculars to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Not unless he was one of the 50 or so eclipse winners you claim to have owned, bought or sold.

nijinski
07-12-2014, 02:42 PM
I think the best thing for them to have said was simply...Thank You ! We
are honored to be invited to parade him but it wouldn't be a good idea to
change anything in his schedule at this time .

Greyfox
07-12-2014, 02:56 PM

:ThmbUp: Exactly.

MutuelClerk
07-12-2014, 03:00 PM

Exactly right. However the problem lies in people being people, getting big headed feeling more important and smarter than they actually are. Egos erupt. I really liked these guys after the Derby and LOVED they way they ripped on CD after the Preakness. Eventually though you get behind the curtain and it's the Wizard of Oz all over again. Sad.

OntheRail
07-12-2014, 03:03 PM

I agree with this... but as we know CC owners have hoof in mouth disorder. ;)

startngate
07-12-2014, 03:03 PM

It costs money to ship him; it’s a day off from the horse’s training and other things that affect the horse,” Martin said. “We bought the horse to race him, not parade him. Yuba City (where Martin is from) wants to do the same thing, parade him up here. We don’t own the horse to parade him. He’s a racehorse.”

Then why ask for $50k to do it? I agree with others, just say thanks for the offer, but we can't do it.

Stillriledup
07-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Delmar was trying to get CC to appear on Pacific Classic Day.

Perry Martin is one of the DAP partners, all of sudden appears making this
statement instead of Steve Coburn, who will ultimately enter The
Racing Hall of Shame for thoroughbred Owners. :mad:

So much for America's horse ;hold up Delmar for 50k to ship and
insure the horse? If the horse was insured early on, he is covered
for the policy year! Aside from being an owner, I'm also an Insurance
Broker, so this is pure B.S. Losing a day from training is a monumental
issue??????
At the end of the day, this crew figures there will probably be a bigger
attendance with CC appearing at Delmar, so they too should profit.

Just about 3,000,000 banked with this horse and 50k is a deal breaker.

Said story for a fairy tale horse tainted by his owners.

Hopefully the emergence of certain rising stars will overshadow
CC.

There's precedent for tracks to pay "appearance fees". Baffert has been known to collect fees from Monmouth to run one of his star horses in the Haskell, it has been done before, so for these guys to do it...with a HUGE name horse its not that big of a deal, its something we all would do, why leave 50k on the table if someone's going to give it to you?

Did these guys collect one red cent from Belmont for appearing in the Belmont? How many extra beers did Belmont sell specifically because of CC being in the race?

nijinski
07-12-2014, 03:15 PM
I agree with this... but as we know CC owners have hoof in mouth disorder. ;)

:lol: Team HIM aka as the California Coxsackies !

nijinski
07-12-2014, 03:21 PM
There's precedent for tracks to pay "appearance fees". Baffert has been known to collect fees from Monmouth to run one of his star horses in the Haskell, it has been done before, so for these guys to do it...with a HUGE name horse its not that big of a deal, its something we all would do, why leave 50k on the table if someone's going to give it to you?

Did these guys collect one red cent from Belmont for appearing in the Belmont? How many extra beers did Belmont sell specifically because of CC being in the race?

They gave him special permission to wear a nose band

johnhannibalsmith
07-12-2014, 03:40 PM
I'm surprised these guys don't offer an opinion about the horse's every shit on twitter.

the little guy
07-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Not unless he was one of the 50 or so eclipse winners you claim to have owned, bought or sold.

I laughed hard.

Tom
07-12-2014, 05:11 PM

That would have been the classy thing to do.
That's why Coburn didn't do it.

Game plan for Coburn:

1. Shut up.
2. Run your horse.
3. Stay shut up.

JustRalph
07-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Del Mar has carded a new race for that day

The Suck Up and Pay it Stakes!
Condition: Cal Bred Winners of "The Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum Brands" in the last six months, preferred. Horses who have one or more owners who could "stand in" for Wilford Brimley in his next TV commercial, preferred. Horses who were touted so heavily by Internet forum users that after a loss the users literally disappeared, preferred. An Entry Fee of $1 is required to start. All Starters will receive a $2 dollar rebate on their entry fee by Parading past the grandstands prior to the race start. A limit of 1.5 Starters is set on a first come first entered basis

Distance: The length of the Del Mar Grandstand

Start: Entrants will begin from a standing Start, to the sound of a cash register bell.

Purse: $50,000

johnhannibalsmith
07-12-2014, 06:32 PM
I'm sure that race is unfair to his horse somehow.

Stillriledup
07-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Del Mar has carded a new race for that day

The Suck Up and Pay it Stakes!
Condition: Cal Bred Winners of "The Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum Brands" in the last six months, preferred. Horses who have one or more owners who could "stand in" for Wilford Brimley in his next TV commercial, preferred. Horses who were touted so heavily by Internet forum users that after a loss the users literally disappeared, preferred. An Entry Fee of $1 is required to start. All Starters will receive a $2 dollar rebate on their entry fee by Parading past the grandstands prior to the race start. A limit of 1.5 Starters is set on a first come first entered basis. Ineligible, any runners, except California Chrome, who havent started at least 33 times this year AND raced in the Yum Derby, Preakness AND the Belmont Stakes.

Distance: The length of the Del Mar Grandstand

Start: Entrants will begin from a standing Start, to the sound of a cash register bell.

Purse: $50,000

Fixed that for you. :D

Rex Phinney
07-13-2014, 03:13 AM
The DAP Facebook page is now full of mudslinging at Del Mar. Insulting the track, bashing Del Mar PR.

These people need to pull their head out fast.

Stillriledup
07-13-2014, 03:19 AM
The DAP Facebook page is now full of mudslinging at Del Mar. Insulting the track, bashing Del Mar PR.

These people need to pull their head out fast.

I dont understand, what is their beef?

Rex Phinney
07-13-2014, 04:19 AM

I guess they feel Del Mar is trying to pressure them into it???

Maybe they think Del Mar promised Chrome would be there without a deal in place???

Did you read the posts? There was something there referring to Del Mar as the Spa??? Does DAP think Del Mar is the Spa?????

The whole thing is a disaster

WP1981
07-13-2014, 04:27 AM

Not what, but whom?

Answer: Lester

He must have filed a case today claiming they are REQUIRED to have CC parade. Dmtc in turn shook in their collective boots and turned up the pressure on Coburn.

That is all I got. Lester controls all at DMR.

Billnewman
07-13-2014, 04:36 AM
I don't see anything wrong with how he responded. Just because he owns a racehorse that almost won the Triple Crown, he has to respond with perfect manners grace and political correctness and act like he shouldn't be interested in making money off this stupid idea from Delmar management because he already banked $3 million and he should be grateful and thankful to the horse racing world and he owes it to whomever to honor this ridiculous request. But you guys say he should've put his kid gloves on and said no thanks but thank you anyway. Or maybe he should've done whatever shug McGahey's would've done. Because he has "class" and he would've said the right thing to say. I think he should've said "that's a great idea maybe we can have Goody gumdrop lead cc out onto the track with his little white pony and put up pictures of lollipops rainbows and hello kitty all over the grandstand"

olddaddy
07-13-2014, 05:22 AM
What has DelMar done for this ownership? Why would this ownership put money in DelMars pockets? If it was me, I would just have said, NO.

NY BRED
07-13-2014, 08:47 AM
As stated by many of you, the class/polite response would be
to politely reject the offer of Delmar.

But looking for 50k, in light of what CC has earned who
supposedly was/is America's horse, inmho, sucks.

The again, this response should have been expected by Coburn's
rant to change the timing of the Triple Crown races, claiming he was
robbed by fresh starters.

Clearly this group of morons envision they are invincible
and have zero class, simply looking for big $$.

Have a great day DAP, what goes around comes around.

:ThmbDown: :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Redboard
07-13-2014, 09:10 AM

You’ll need those night vision binoculars , West Virginia breds only come out at night. (except WV Derby day, 2pm)

affirmedny
07-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Maybe Del Mar should invite Tonalist to parade.

mountainman
07-13-2014, 10:35 AM
That ANY of this EVER went public speaks poorly of all involved. Deals like that are always brokered behind the scenes.

sam i am
07-13-2014, 11:40 AM
i don't think this horse will race again this year. They should take all the parades they can get him in.

stringmail
07-13-2014, 11:45 AM
While DAP may have responded somewhat non-traditionally for those who expect some degree of politeness (although I'm not sure why seeing previous behavior), I put the blame squarely on Del Mar on this. It's one thing to discuss with trainer and owners to get the horse to work out in between races while stabled there but to simply have a horse in training, canter down the stretch seems a bit absurd.

I'm not a DAP fan but Del Mar should just move on to the next big drawing card, the Miss Cougar contest.

johnhannibalsmith
07-13-2014, 11:55 AM
However stupid the idea is in the practical sense, which it most definitely is in my opinion, this is the same damn horse that a few weeks ago was "America's Horse" according to these fine gentlemen.

So Del Mar offers them a chance (and themselves) to get more exposure, which they apparently love, and maybe even draw out and with any luck at all, imprint a few new fans and perhaps eventually customers.

The only problem I see in any of this is that it somehow became news and it became news because once again these guys act as though anything short of ego fellatio is a determined insult or something. Jesus, relax.

Tom
07-13-2014, 01:55 PM
CC is a good horse, but not good enough to have to put up with his big mouthed owner. Can't wait until he retires. Enough already. Tired of hearing about the whole damn bunch of them.

AndyC
07-13-2014, 02:34 PM
While DAP may have responded somewhat non-traditionally for those who expect some degree of politeness (although I'm not sure why seeing previous behavior), I put the blame squarely on Del Mar on this. It's one thing to discuss with trainer and owners to get the horse to work out in between races while stabled there but to simply have a horse in training, canter down the stretch seems a bit absurd.

I'm not a DAP fan but Del Mar should just move on to the next big drawing card, the Miss Cougar contest.

Absurd, really? The most recognized horse in US racing today is stabled 60 miles from Del Mar. In my view, it would benefit Del Mar, racing in general and certainly wouldn't hurt the horse or the owners. It's not like racing is riding a wave of incredible popularity that can't be enhanced.

I get it that there are many long time players who couldn't care less about seeing CC parade. But there are many potential fans whose only introduction to the game was watching CC win the Derby and Preakness. The idea is to get people to the track.

nijinski
07-13-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't see anything wrong with how he responded. Just because he owns a racehorse that almost won the Triple Crown, he has to respond with perfect manners grace and political correctness and act like he shouldn't be interested in making money off this stupid idea from Delmar management because he already banked $3 million and he should be grateful and thankful to the horse racing world and he owes it to whomever to honor this ridiculous request. But you guys say he should've put his kid gloves on and said no thanks but thank you anyway. Or maybe he should've done whatever shug McGahey's would've done. Because he has "class" and he would've said the right thing to say. I think he should've said "that's a great idea maybe we can have Goody gumdrop lead cc out onto the track with his little white pony and put up pictures of lollipops rainbows and hello kitty all over the grandstand"

His rant (P Martin) is sarcastic and also comes off as arrogant IMO . Rather than discuss to his fans how Delmar has the Media in their pocket . What if
the owners asked to speak to someone in a high position and not the PR people . Perhaps something would have been offered in the least their
transport expenses and covering employee pay.
There's some hypocrisy when you say you purchased your horse to race
not to parade and then you discuss the personal fee you think your worth
appearing for too . Make up your mind .

These owners obviously are not happy with the some racetrack operations .
Honestly they've earned the right to sit down with management and
discuss . This stuff does not belong on their fan website . Turning your fans
against the racetrack does not help the industry and it's classless . Maybe
all racing venues should walk on eggshells dealing with them .
Sorry that's how Martin is coming off right now the quiet one .

BTW nice winning photo of Tonalist with congrats on their site . Hopefully
DAP is forgiven for that earlier rant .

Tom
07-13-2014, 03:28 PM
I get it that there are many long time players who couldn't care less about seeing CC parade. But there are many potential fans whose only introduction to the game was watching CC win the Derby and Preakness. The idea is to get people to the track.

Won't help. Look at all the fans Zenyatta brought out to Hollywood Park.
You know, the track that closed?

ArlJim78
07-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Absurd, really? The most recognized horse in US racing today is stabled 60 miles from Del Mar. In my view, it would benefit Del Mar, racing in general and certainly wouldn't hurt the horse or the owners. It's not like racing is riding a wave of incredible popularity that can't be enhanced.

yes it is absurd. I can think of no other instance where such an appearance was made. Please give some examples if you can remember it happening.

CC is first a race horse in training, not a goodwill ambassador or member of a traveling carnival.
If people want to see him they need to come to the track on race day.
After he's retired then you can consider this type of thing.

Stillriledup
07-13-2014, 03:40 PM

Things in life aren't free, why would i put my horse on a truck to Del Mar for free, that makes no sense. How does it benefit DAP, that's the 64 dollar question.

AndyC
07-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Things in life aren't free, why would i put my horse on a truck to Del Mar for free, that makes no sense. How does it benefit DAP, that's the 64 dollar question.

I am sure Del Mar would be happy to pick up the vanning charges.

A prospering racing environment allows DAP to run their horse for large purses. It is in their interest as a horse owner to help promote the game. More fans, more handle, larger purses.

I can't even imagine what it might mean for their crybaby attitudes.

Plus, I am not seeing a downside. If you love the sport and it has been good to you shouldn't you give back a little?

horses4courses
07-13-2014, 07:00 PM
Looks like California Chrome won't ever run at Del Mar again.
DAP sure seems to have a way of making enemies.

http://www.dapracing.com/resources/DumbAss%20Partners%20Response%20to%20Del%20Mar%20a nd%20Media%20Pressure%20Applied%20Through%20the%20 Press.pdf

Sacramento, CA, July 12, 2014–
Contact Perry Martin
Telephone 916 920-4110
Cell 916 997-9551
Email perry@martintesting.com
Website http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iFG9isQpzs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 12, 2014

DAP IN THE NEWS AGAIN
The untold story

The chess game began a little over three weeks ago. Del Mar PR let it slip “accidently” that there was a
chance California Chrome might appear at Del Mar on sPacific Classic Day (I forget is Del Mar the Spa or
Saratoga?). Well, “let slip” might not be quite right, they called the Media persons they have in their
pocket to get the news out. (Does not take much to have these local media types in their pocket. They
invite to a race day, slap them on the back saying they are honored to have them there. Escort them to
an “Exclusive Track Venue” and wink to the bartender. “Joe, Mr/Ms XXX’s drinks are on Del Mar”) The
opening gambit did not work well. Sure the local pocket media went with it but very few secondary
outlets picked it up. Most ran stories of Chrome’s vacation at Harris Ranch. Next, the middle game.
After a few days when it was clear that they had not really created the buzz they were looking for, Del
Mar PR called Chrome’s trainer Art Sherman. Art is an amiable guy and when they told him they wanted
to honor “Team Chrome” on sPacific Classic Day he said the right thing, “That sounds good but you’ll
have to check with the owners.” That phone conversation somehow (?) got to the local pocket media
and they ran with it. Del Mar in conversations with “Team Chrome” for appearance at Del Mar on
sPacific Classic Day. This did get picked up by a few secondary outlets and made local Chromies happy
they may have a chance to cheer on Chrome locally.
The phone call I was waiting for from Del Mar PR finally came while I was at work at Martin Testing Labs.
The voice on the other end of the line said Del Mar wanted to honor Chrome and Team Chrome on
sPacific Classic Day. I was supposed to be honored to pay a van driver to drive Chrome to and from Del Mar. Honored to travel 500 miles, put my wife and I up in a hotel then sit under a tent in the hot sun to
sign autographs for an hour or two. Honored to pay for an insurance rider to cover the horse in case
injured in the performance of non-racing activities. Honored to pay the horse’s handlers (groom,
exercise rider and hot walker) to work during their usual time off. Let me make this clear, there was no
offer from Del Mar to cover any expenses. I was quiet and listened hard for some time and nothing was
forthcoming. I then said, “I can see how Del Mar will benefit from Chrome appearing. He is very
popular and people will come out to see him. How do we benefit?” The voice on the other end of the
line sounded quite surprised, “You mean a financial agreement?” I said, “Is there any other kind?” The
voice, “Well Del Mar is a not for profit and turns over all monies to the State. We don’t usually have
money for appearance fees. I’d have to discuss this with management. What would you want?” I asked
for and received his e-mail address, I told him I would discuss with my partner Steve and e-mail him.
Steve and I knew that what was best for the horse was staying home and concentrating on his return to
racing. The fans are important to us but the horse will be racing just a few weeks later not very far
away. The only real benefit here is to Del Mar to spike attendance that was clear, at least to these
Dumb-Asses. I e-mailed our requirements in detail, none of the detail was picked up by the local pocket
media. $10,000 for expenses (Vanning, insurance, travel & per diem). A little high yes but not much and
I was not going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Besides, it got us to a nice round number.
$20,000 to the owners ($10,000 each) and $20,000 to “Team Sherman”. $50,000 total. I wanted to
make sure everyone on the team got an appearance fee, especially the so-called unappreciated ones
like Raul and Willy. We appreciate them! Hey, I thought it was a good deal. Baffert got $50K for 45
minutes of autographs in New Jersey. I’m only worth $10K and I know it
Within an hour of sending the e-mail I started getting calls from the local pocket media. “Chrome would
not be appearing because of the greedy owners – DAP”. I wonder how they knew? Was Del Mar
playing chess with the Dumb-Ass Partners? Will we be shamed into having our horse appear? Well, I’ve
checked Chrome’s schedule and he will not have time to appear at sPacific Classic Day and there is no
race of interest to us at Del Mar until 2017 (Breeders Cup). I’m wondering if he’ll be racing then. People
take the Dumb-Ass Partner name way too serious. We may have to change it. How about Checkmate
Partners?

horses4courses
07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Paulick Report published the press release and drew some comment.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/checkmate-partners-chrome-owners-call-out-del-mar/

Here's what owner and celebrity chef Bobby Flay had to say about Team Chrome:

bobby flay • 35 minutes ago
To the owners of California Chrome….Please stop making public statements that dig you into a hole that you can't get out of. You guys have no idea how lucky, yes lucky you are to have such a talented thoroughbred. In a time when thoroughbred horse racing could use only positive moments you guys are squandering the fun. I dare say that you owe it to the fans and the industry to be more friendly. I watched for 5 hours, just a few rows away on Belmont stakes day as "team Chrome" continued to rise to their feet and wave to the crowd as if you were waving to the people at St Peter's in Rome. The NY crowd treated you guys like you were the Pope and it was only because we were all hoping that you'd be part of history. Ninety seconds after Chrome ran 4th the bitterness began and it hasn't stopped since. STOP IT! You're new members of this amazing game. You're having success that you'll never have again and you're making us look bad to those looking through the glass. The folks at Del Mar are only trying to celebrate Chromes accomplishments and are excited that he hails from Cali. Don't blame them for that.
If I was lucky enough to have a major race track want to parade one of my horses, I'd be so honored. If expenses were actually an issue I'd have a quiet conversation about what they might actually be, not try to make a score for the whole team. NEWS FLASH.. California Chrome won the the Derby and the Preakness…I'm guessing money won't be an issue for his expenses going forward.
I completely understand that dealing with the media whether it's local or national can be tricky and takes a little experience. In fact, the day after the Belmont debacle I chalked up to disappointment and lack of media training. You guys got your mulligan.
I've made media mistakes in the past and I try to learn from them. If I can offer any advice in this regard going forward I'd be happy to oblige free of charge. I think it's important especially because you own the most famous horse in America right now.. think about it.

Stillriledup
07-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Paulick Report published the press release and drew some comment.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/checkmate-partners-chrome-owners-call-out-del-mar/

Here's what owner and celebrity chef Bobby Flay had to say about Team Chrome:

Hmmm, i must have missed the part where BF said he would foot the bill to get CC down to DMR.

Its a once in a lifetime ride, stick money in your pocket whenever you can. :D

taxicab
07-13-2014, 08:08 PM
One thing I learned a very long time ago.
Class can't be bought or taught.
Either you have it or you don't.
The horse has it.
The owners don't.

Stillriledup
07-13-2014, 08:19 PM
The horse has it.
The owners don't.

Some people would rather have the money, than NOT have the money and have strangers think they're 'classy'.

horses4courses
07-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Some people would rather have the money, than NOT have the money and have strangers think they're 'classy'.

There are two sides to the money issue.
Del Mar stood to make a lot of $$$ with a CC appearance.

Personally, I believe that $50K is excessive, but asking for $10-20K
to cover expenses would not have been.

For Del Mar to expect them to do it for nothing is, imo, asinine.

johnhannibalsmith
07-13-2014, 08:36 PM
America's Horse, indeed.

Stillriledup
07-13-2014, 08:38 PM
There are two sides to the money issue.
Del Mar stood to make a lot of $$$ with a CC appearance.

Personally, I believe that $50K is excessive, but asking for $10-20K
to cover expenses would not have been.

For Del Mar to expect them to do it for nothing is, imo, asinine.

If DMR asked a famous actor or actress to show up and make a public appearance, they would have to pay.....but people expect a famous horse to show up for free for the "good of the game"?

nijinski
07-13-2014, 09:19 PM
If DMR asked a famous actor or actress to show up and make a public appearance, they would have to pay.....but people expect a famous horse to show up for free for the "good of the game"?

Like I said earlier and the point was brought up by Flay .A civil discussion and negotiation could have been arranged . I think most agree there are
costs involved for the owners and Delmar might have agreed . It doesn't matter though . It was made clear the horse was purchased to race not parade .

taxicab
07-13-2014, 09:38 PM
You're missing the point by about a block and a half here.
If Coburn/Martin don't want to parade CC then politely tell DMR "no thank you".
If DMR leaked out the 50k appearance fee then they're in the wrong,no two ways about it.
DAP should of taken the high road and let it die there.
But no, Martin(I'm only guessing but I would guess that Coburn had some say in it also) just had to author a "woe is me" E-Mail...
The way Martin was bitching about DMR and the way they deal with the local media......quit crying,it's none of DAP business anyway.
Then Martin was moaning about a phone call he was waiting for.....who cares ?
And he sounded upset that he got his desired phone call while at his job.....life's hard homeboy,there's starving children in Africa don't ya know....
Martin then proceeds to start babbling on about the money issue.
Nobody want's to hear a guy who's horse has made him a millionaire in less than a year and a half bitch about an appearance fee.
And it stands to reason that CC could earn DAP millions more on the track before he's through.
Plus CC is worth at least 10 million in the shed.......that's more money coming DAP way.
And hey Martin!!
If you're so worried about the "little guys" on your team being rewarded then reach into your pocket and give them $500 or $1000 each for going the extra mile for you when they are asked.......after all in about 16 months your net worth is going to be well over 10 million dollars.....loosen the purse strings Diamond Jim.
Like I said SRU,Class.....either you have it or you don't.

takeout
07-13-2014, 09:43 PM
If DMR asked a famous actor or actress to show up and make a public appearance, they would have to pay.....but people expect a famous horse to show up for free for the "good of the game"?Good example. :ThmbUp:
They don't have any problem charging their customers a ridiculous 22.68% exacta takeout (for comparison Saratoga's is 18.5%) but when it comes to them they want a freebie.

iceknight
07-13-2014, 09:44 PM
The horse has it.
The owners don't. Del Mar's the one that has no class. How does media get all the details when the communication is between the owner and Del Mar

taxicab
07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Del Mar's the one that has no class. How does media get all the details when the communication is between the owner and Del Mar
You are correct IceK,DMR was wrong to release the appearance fee info.
I wrote that in my second post in this thread.
I never said DMR was blameless in this fiasco.
They also should of kept their mouths shut.
I gave Coburn a pass after the Belmont because he obviously can't hold his liquor, but the E-Mail DAP sent reeks of a petulant child.

iceknight
07-13-2014, 11:10 PM
You are correct IceK,DMR was wrong to release the appearance fee info.
I wrote that in my second post in this thread.
I never said DMR was blameless in this fiasco.
They also should of kept their mouths shut.
I gave Coburn a pass after the Belmont because he obviously can't hold his liquor, but the E-Mail DAP sent reeks of a petulant child. You're right just noticed that. Coburn too can definitely learn some diplomacy/play cards close to the chest instead of emailing demands.

Stillriledup
07-14-2014, 03:21 AM
Baffert "appearance fee" article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/02/sports/horse-racing-baffert-cashing-in-on-war-emblem.html

NY BRED
07-14-2014, 06:20 AM
Closing time.

The stage is set for the spin and drama of CC's next race.

Hoping Mrs. Coburn sits in a different row than the DAP
prior to the race.

:eek: :eek:

Track Phantom
07-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Virtually everything I've seen or read about the owners of California Chrome indicate low class.

Anyone with a modicum of character would be flying so far above this. The smallness and pettiness of these people are absolutely astounding to me.

GaryG
07-14-2014, 07:42 AM
What has he done, won two legs of the TC. Sure, he is a very nice horse, but he is not yet a Tiznow, Native Diver or Swaps in the pantheon of Cal-breds. Parading should be reserved for beloved retired champions, although if CC would have won the TC it would be different. Just when a big horse owned by two working stiffs was a nice story....it wasn't.

AndyC
07-14-2014, 11:12 AM
What has he done, won two legs of the TC. Sure, he is a very nice horse, but he is not yet a Tiznow, Native Diver or Swaps in the pantheon of Cal-breds. Parading should be reserved for beloved retired champions, although if CC would have won the TC it would be different. Just when a big horse owned by two working stiffs was a nice story....it wasn't.

Who cares what CC has actually accomplished? The fact is that the horse is the most well-known horse in racing today. Given that racing is losing appeal with the public year-after-year isn't it time to do something different than what has been done in the past?

Using a football analogy, would a public appearance by Terry Bradshaw or Peyton Manning draw bigger crowds?

stringmail
07-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Using a football analogy, would a public appearance by Terry Bradshaw or Peyton Manning draw bigger crowds?

They would both be paid to appear but the answer is obvious. Now let me ask, if that request had coming during July and Peyton had to drive 500 miles in the middle of training camp to be honored, would he?

Peyton probably would as he is a nice guy, supposedly, and there may not have been much of an appearance fee but would the Broncos have let their "thoroughbred" go at this time?

I don't dispute that there is a need to drive popularity and that is why I thought it would make sense if a workout between races had occurred but if not going to be stabled and targeting a race at Dmr, I see no reason. If horse racing wants to drive popularity, maybe some other under-attended track could seek his appearance. Del Mar has enough people already.

AndyC
07-14-2014, 12:30 PM
They would both be paid to appear but the answer is obvious. Now let me ask, if that request had coming during July and Peyton had to drive 500 miles in the middle of training camp to be honored, would he?

Peyton probably would as he is a nice guy, supposedly, and there may not have been much of an appearance fee but would the Broncos have let their "thoroughbred" go at this time?

I don't dispute that there is a need to drive popularity and that is why I thought it would make sense if a workout between races had occurred but if not going to be stabled and targeting a race at Dmr, I see no reason. If horse racing wants to drive popularity, maybe some other under-attended track could seek his appearance. Del Mar has enough people already.

It's only 60 miles and training camp for CC lasts about 10 minutes in the morning.

I certainly don't think Del Mar would say they have enough people already.

Track Phantom
07-14-2014, 12:38 PM
The issue isn't whether the appearance is good for the horse or not. The issue is the owners of California Chrome were QUITE WILLING to make him available as long as their fees AND their time and profit were covered.

I absolutely think any out of pocket expense should be covered by the track. I think Del Mar should have (and may have) come to the table with that in hand. However, any additional "we all need to make a killing" money or whatever Martin put in his letter is absurd.

Bottom line....either shipping the horse for an appearance at Del Mar will impact the horse or it wont. Owners basically said it won't as long as they are "paid". So, the real issue is whether $50k for having the horse appear is reasonable and if the subsequent pissing match in public is warranted.

mountainman
07-14-2014, 01:47 PM
A little naïve to expect them to parade for free-or even for shipping money. Appearance money and payola are more common than believed in t-racing. But 50 k is just krazeee high. (Well-heeled super-tracks don't go THAT high to get "name" horses in g1 stakes.) Were I brokering the deal for Del Mar, I would probably have started at 10k, and expected to pay 15. 20 would be my hard ceiling.

On the other hand, if he were MY horse, I'd have him there at MY expense, and be honored to have even been asked. It never hurts to make friends in this business. A good steak dinner would have done it.

letswastemoney
07-14-2014, 02:05 PM
I guess Del Mar will not be getting Chrome for the Pacific Classic next year if he stays in training lol.

NY BRED
07-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Race CC in the Awesome Again stakes at SA on 9/27, if he wins he is
in the Breeders Cup with "all" expenses paid(??):

That said .if LA wants DAP to race at their track, DAP will enter
CC in the 9/20 mile stakes at LA, providing LA pay all expenses
for the trip CC must take to the BC.

Intriguing demands from the "tansparent" crew

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Looks like California Chrome won't ever run at Del Mar again.
DAP sure seems to have a way of making enemies.

http://www.dapracing.com/resources/DumbAss%20Partners%20Response%20to%20Del%20Mar%20a nd%20Media%20Pressure%20Applied%20Through%20the%20 Press.pdfThis reads like it could have been written by any number of well known "retreads" that have populated this board in the past... :lol:

I particularly like the continued use of sPacific... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...holy moly....

johnhannibalsmith
07-15-2014, 12:33 PM

I particularly like the continued use of sPacific... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...holy moly....

No shit. I really wanted to be objective and read it without any prejudice, but that ridiculous nonsense with the "Spa", "Pacific" hybrid just put the ole' punctuation mark on the image that they've been procuring.

letswastemoney
07-15-2014, 12:39 PM
He probably overbid on purpose, thinking rather than turn Del Mar down, it would be polite to ask for 50k knowing they'd never come up with the money.

horses4courses
07-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Their horse is not going to be ready to run at either big meet.
September at the earliest - and even if he could, he won't run at DMR.

If this plays out the way I believe it will, CC will be proven to be
an exceptional early season 3yo, and others caught up to him.

It will surprise me if he is a "live" contender come BC Classic time.

Dark Horse
07-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Why could be more anti-climatic than CC parading on the same day that Shared Belief is expected to run in the Pacific Classic? When those two meet on the track then it's time to pay attention.

:sleeping:

dilanesp
07-15-2014, 07:05 PM
I guess they feel Del Mar is trying to pressure them into it???

Maybe they think Del Mar promised Chrome would be there without a deal in place???

Did you read the posts? There was something there referring to Del Mar as the Spa??? Does DAP think Del Mar is the Spa?????

The whole thing is a disaster

The Racing Form used to call Del. Mar "the spa" for years. I never liked that- Saratoga is "the spa". But I guess the usage persists.

dilanesp
07-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Good example. :ThmbUp:
They don't have any problem charging their customers a ridiculous 22.68% exacta takeout (for comparison Saratoga's is 18.5%) but when it comes to them they want a freebie.

I don't know what takeout Del Mar "wants" to charge. Takeouts are set by the CHRB.

AndyC
07-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Why could be more anti-climatic than CC parading on the same day that Shared Belief is expected to run in the Pacific Classic? When those two meet on the track then it's time to pay attention.

Ask any non or casual horseplayer who Shared Belief is and they will just look at you with glazed over eyes. You would get a completely different answer if you asked about CC. Bring fans to the track who can still remember the excitement with CC and they might feel even more excitement with Shared Belief.

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 07:21 PM
I don't know what takeout Del Mar "wants" to charge. Takeouts are set by the CHRB.

Nobody cares who sets takeout rates, the track is the one accepting the bets, so they are the ones who hear about it when people don't like the rates. If you hate your fish dinner that was served by your local restaurant, you complain to the restaurant, not the distributor.

dilanesp
07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Nobody cares who sets takeout rates, the track is the one accepting the bets, so they are the ones who hear about it when people don't like the rates. If you hate your fish dinner that was served by your local restaurant, you complain to the restaurant, not the distributor.

I agree with this as far as it goes.

But I was responding to someone who said that Del Mar "had no problem" charging their high takeout. And I don't think you can say that, any more than you can say that Wal-Mart "has no problem" charging sales tax. They have to charge it. It doesn't matter whether they have a problem or not.

AndyC
07-15-2014, 08:15 PM

But I was responding to someone who said that Del Mar "had no problem" charging their high takeout. And I don't think you can say that, any more than you can say that Wal-Mart "has no problem" charging sales tax. They have to charge it. It doesn't matter whether they have a problem or not.

Del Mar certainly supported the increased California rates when they were proposed. When Craig Fravel, the former president of the DMTC, came out with his support for increased take-out rates in California I officially started my own personal boycott of Del Mar and California racing.

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 08:16 PM

I think most racing fans and bettors believe that if Del Mar wanted to lower the takeout, they would find a way to get it done and that the state wouldnt' stand in their way. Now Bob Baffert and Mike Pegram might stand in their way, but the state govt would not.

ArlJim78
07-15-2014, 09:50 PM

nothing that I can think of. It's an idea so idiotic that even Coburn had the sense to say no.

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 10:27 PM
They should get a horse who looks like CC and parade him and tell the drunken once-a-year crowd its CC, they won't know the difference.

Rex Phinney
07-16-2014, 01:44 PM
The Racing Form used to call Del. Mar "the spa" for years. I never liked that- Saratoga is "the spa". But I guess the usage persists.

I never knew.

I'm from California and even I know that Saratoga is The Spa.

elhelmete
07-16-2014, 02:24 PM
I never knew.

I'm from California and even I know that Saratoga is The Spa.

I never knew that either.

Bettowin
07-16-2014, 04:26 PM

Del Mar paid Saratoga to use the "Spa" name:)

Prairie Bettor
07-16-2014, 09:00 PM
They should get a horse who looks like CC and parade him and tell the drunken once-a-year crowd its CC, they won't know the difference.

Without looking at the tattoo I'm thinking no one would know.

I'm kinda surprised the owners didn't do that, then after the parade while talking to the annoying media: "We brought a replica because Del Mar wouldn't pay us and all you stupid fans couldn't tell the difference"

classhandicapper
07-17-2014, 09:46 AM
I would have said, "Thank you for the opportunity, but the horse will be preparing for an important race. So this is not a convenient time".

the little guy
07-17-2014, 10:09 AM
I would have said, "Thank you for the opportunity, but the horse will be preparing for an important race. So this is not a convenient time".

From the man who types epic tomes on a daily basis on the Internet.

classhandicapper
07-17-2014, 11:21 AM
From the man who types epic tomes on a daily basis on the Internet.

lol.

Some things are easy for me to explain clearly. Others.....not so much. ;)