PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Picks: Friday, July 11

Teach
07-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Race One:

:6: Buckeye Heart is my choice in the opener, a six-furlong claiming event. This Tale of the Cat-bred horse has been sharp lately while competing in this general company. The 5 year-old has finished second in his last two and third prior to that. Trainer Chris Englehart is having a solid Belmont meet and rider Luis Saez is capable of getting the job done. The way I see the race: it looks like there's enough early speed to allow this horse to come off the tailgate and mount a closing stretch drive. As in life, timing is everything; the same is true here. With proper handling this horse can get to the winner's circle.

Others: :1: I Want You To Know; :3: Rigby; :4: Straight Fax.

Race Two:

My pick here is :5: Stockholder. I see a significant rider switch to "Johnny V". This highly-priced 3 year-old roan colt made a sustained run in the stretch in his only start. Stretching out a panel should further enhance his chances. One caveat: He's been away from the races for nearly two months; morning work-tab is adequate but nuthin to write home about. Trainer John Sherriffs is having less than a stellar meet. Yet, when all is said and done, this Broad Brush-bred grey has a solid shot.

Others: :3: Sublime; :4: Rare Eagle; :7: Successful Runner

Race Three:

In this allowance route on the turf I like :5: Wine Burglar. The 4 year-old Rock Hard Ten-bred filly won her last against weaker; yet, she's capable of once again gracing the winner's circle. Jockey Javier Castellano retains the ride for trainer Bruce Brown who's very good with horses who break their maiden in their previous race.

Others: :6: Quick As A Bunny; :2: Wraith; :3: Funky Monkey Fever.

Race Four:

In this tough-to-handicap maiden-special turf sprint, I'm gonna take a shot with :5: Granny's Kitten. This Kitten's Joy-bred colt's pedigree says that the horse should take to the turf at first asking. The most capable Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons for trainer Mike Maker. A solid recent work seems to indicate that this colt is ready.

:6: Escondido; :8: Magic Apple; :3: Security Risk.

Race Five:

:3: Light Weight lost any chance of winning her last when this 4 year-old was "sandwiched" between foes at the start in her last. She had broken her maiden at "The Big A" a few weeks prior to that most recent start. She now drops back down into the company she should handle. With a cleaner start she should be able to acquit herself quite well with this bunch. Rosario Montanez for Ed Barker.

Others: :8: Wisdom of Oz; :9: Mononoke; :4: Cajun Wedding

Race Six:

In this claiming route on the inner turf I'm going with :10: Knox. This English Channel-bred colt finished third in his last against similar. The Seeking The Gold-bred was claimed out of his last and now resides in the red-hot Chad Brown barn. Any slight improvement from his last effort and he can prevail here. The colt may improve with blinkers.

Others: :7: Pilatus; :8: Imawarrior; :4: Seal Team Six.

Race Seven:

In this claiming route on the turf, non-winners of 3, I like :9: Favor Factor. This Harlan's Holiday-bred colt was bumped and squeezed at the start of his last, yet he still managed to finish a fast-closing fifth, a little over a length off the winner. A cleaner trip would put this 4 year-old in the thick of things. The Hall-of-Famer, John Velazquez, for trainer Mike Wilson.

Others: :1: Artic North; :8: Mop Head; :3: Manocor

Race Eight:

In the eighth race, a six-and-one-half furlong allowance for New York state-breds, I'm going with :4: Weekend Hideaway. The Speightstown-bred colt is turning back a panel and a-half and should find that reduced distance of ground to her liking. The chestnut colt is dropping in class off her last and, as cited, returns to the sprinting ranks. Her most recent morning work-tab was very good. Jose Lezcano for trainer Phil Serpe who, by the way, is winless at the meet.

Others: :5: Amberjack; :6: I'm Stoked; :2: Night Maneuver.

Race Nine:

In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf route, I'm leaning toward :9: Corinthian Summer. The Pulpit-bred colt was second and third in her last two starts at the distance on the grass. Any slight improvement...
Admittedly, the colt has chewed up a lot of "do-re-mi" as the beaten fave in all four of his most recent starts; yet, today could be the day he visits the winner's circle. The Veteran Joe Bravo for trainer Christophe Clement.

Others: :1: C'S Smart Strike; :6: Jigsaw; :10: Perfect Stormy