PDA

View Full Version : Visual Handicapping – Different Than Trip Handicapping

TheEdge07
07-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Read this on a blog found it interesting,thoughts.

Different from pure trip handicappers, visual handicappers are looking for something else. Instead of focusing on how a horse reacted to race dynamics, or was impacted by the actions of other horses, a visual handicapper is interested mainly in the actions of a single horse and their jockey. Some of the questions asked by a visual handicapper are:

How well did the horse move over the surface?
Did the horse gallop out strongly, or was he out of gas after hitting the finish line?
Was the jockey asking for an all out effort from the horse?
How much running did the horse do on his own?
How did the horse react when eye-to-eye with another horse?
Was the jockey riding the horse confidently?
How did the horse respond to the use of a whip?
Were the jockey’s hands low, or high up on the neck?
Is the horse a “one-pace” type, or are they capable of a “burst” or “turn-of-foot” as referred to by some?
Did the horse change leads at the appropriate times?

ArlJim78
07-09-2014, 08:15 PM
do you have a link for that blog? this is precisely what I do although I've never seen an actual write-up on it.

TheEdge07
07-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Race before the Breeders Cup take time look up the NewMarket prep and watch her turn of foot.Similair to her BC win.http://gettingoutofthegate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Chriselliam-PPs.jpg (http://gettingoutofthegate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Chriselliam-PPs.jpg)

thespaah
07-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Different from pure trip handicappers, visual handicappers are looking for something else. Instead of focusing on how a horse reacted to race dynamics, or was impacted by the actions of other horses, a visual handicapper is interested mainly in the actions of a single horse and their jockey. Some of the questions asked by a visual handicapper are:

Did the horse gallop out strongly, or was he out of gas after hitting the finish line?
Is the horse a “one-pace” type, or are they capable of a “burst” or “turn-of-foot” as referred to by some?

I ask these questions and if the pros outweigh the cons, I add the horse to my virtual stable on equibase.
IMO, The VS is an invaluable handicapping tool

Fingal
07-10-2014, 12:10 PM
I think it was Tom Brohamer in his book that said that one of the best things a bettor can have is a photographic memory. Numbers in past performances are just figures unless they can be put into context.

classhandicapper
07-10-2014, 03:24 PM

I think 2. 3, 6, and 9 can definitely give you clues about whether a horse is better or worse than it looks on paper.

I wish I could evaluate #1 better, but I can't.

I've observed the others, but I'm not sure there is much incremental value in them. Either that, or I just haven't found it. I've made notes on lead changes from time to time, but it never lead me to anything consistently.

traynor
07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
Trip handicapping includes visual handicapping. It was only when trip handicapping was packaged as a quickie skill that could be learned from watching a few videos and reading a few articles that it became one-dimensional. "Real" trip handicappers have been doing visual handicapping all along. Still do.

mountainman
07-10-2014, 05:48 PM
These, too:
1) Does the horse behave well behind the gate and load like a pro? Or fight the ast starters, wash out, and waste energy? Poor break calls almost always trace back to bad behavior and phobia.
2) Does the horse move smoothly, or bobble some (a big negative)?
3) Does the horse switch leads and remain fluid in the late stages? Or lose action, stay on the left lead, or get choppy? A seasoned observer can tell the difference between fatigue and soreness when a horse shortens stride.
4) Does the horse come away fast, or gather itself and accelerate to the break call?
5) Does the horse corner well coming out of a turn? Or decelerate and take baby steps before extending again on the straightaway?
6) Does the horse respond well, or pout under the whip? And does the horse dig in, or drift away from the whip-strike? Must the jock pause and straighten course after each strike?
7) Does the horse throw its head in the air and panic when challenged, or fight back-and perhaps pin its ears?

Just a few of the things I look for....there are more, that mainly relate to running style...