PDA

View Full Version : Tom Durkin's "replacement"

Pages : [1] 2

EMD4ME
07-09-2014, 06:48 PM
I love Tom as much as anyone. No one could've made the calls that he made, as exciting and pulsating as they were.

Any news on who will technically replace the legendary TD?

Stillriledup
07-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Has there been talk that Johnny I won't be the full time guy going forward?

EMD4ME
07-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Has there been talk that Johnny I won't be the full time guy going forward?

I'm at Belmont 3 plus days a week. Haven't heard a single peep. Tom's last call, at Belmont not overall, is Sunday. Very sad, for me at least.

Stillriledup
07-09-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm at Belmont 3 plus days a week. Haven't heard a single peep. Tom's last call, at Belmont not overall, is Sunday. Very sad, for me at least.

It is sad for sure. Its the end of an era for racing's greatest announcer at one of America's greatest racetracks.

EMD4ME
07-09-2014, 07:36 PM
It is sad for sure. Its the end of an era for racing's greatest announcer at one of America's greatest racetracks.

Tiznow wins it for America!!!!

It's been 26 years, were just one furlong away but Birdstone looms an upset threat...

Kent Desormeaux EMPLORING real quiet to hold on....

In a race that doesn't deserve a loser!!!

I'm depressed :(

Rex Phinney
07-09-2014, 08:01 PM

It's been 26 years, were just one furlong away but Birdstone looms an upset threat...

A picture is worth a thousand words, this photo is worth $5,000,000

thespaah
07-09-2014, 08:58 PM
" And here he is.....The Incomparable, Invincible, Unbeatable CIGAR!!!!!"

Stillriledup
07-09-2014, 09:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysO_Fhc8Fpw

Rachel in the Woodward, another spine tingling call.

thespaah
07-09-2014, 09:01 PM
"And Concern is kicking in. He's picking off horses one by one...."
"Concern from out of the CLOUDS!!!!"

Stillriledup
07-09-2014, 09:06 PM

You and Carson Hollow (2002 Test) was the race that didn't deserve a loser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCuJjhBBCSs

NTamm1215
07-09-2014, 09:31 PM
The 2004 Belmont was racecalling perfection to me. He captured the moment with each word, even working in a carefully measured line about Smarty Jones holding the lead for one minute more as the field passed the 5f mark. The emotion of Birdstone surging by and all of us coming to the realization that this seemingly unbeatable colt was going to lose was articulated incredibly well.

Tom Durkin is a legend. The game will not be the same without him.

NY BRED
07-09-2014, 10:04 PM
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0wQzq9Yz
Uncertain you can click on this link ,if not google
Tom Durkin and Arrr, and the utube video of 8-16-08 will appear.

I had the tri coming into mid stretch,,refused to bet the winner.

the SAR grandstand was literally vibrating with Tom's call.

I still have chills listening to this call and have to simile /grimace even though this race cost me big $$$$

:ThmbUp:

v j stauffer
07-10-2014, 02:43 AM
" Sunday Silence braces for the oncoming power of Easy Goer "

" Bertrando is a stunned second "

" Mike Smith let's the bull roll. But there's cause for Concern"

" The two Derby winners hit the wire together"

" Barbaro in a sublime performance "

" A filly wins the Belmont "

PhantomOnTour
07-10-2014, 02:46 AM
"Dehere has been defeated - there's a new kid on the block, and his name is Brocco! "

Stillriledup
07-10-2014, 03:39 AM
" Sunday Silence braces for the oncoming power of Easy Goer "

" Bertrando is a stunned second "

" Mike Smith let's the bull roll. But there's cause for Concern"

" The two Derby winners hit the wire together"

" Barbaro in a sublime performance "

" A filly wins the Belmont "

Tiznow wins it for America? :ThmbUp:

Fingal
07-10-2014, 11:57 AM
After seeing this topic I've been thinking of the short list to take over for Durkin, & along with the other considerations of taking the position there's another that should be thought of- do you want to be the one to replace a legend & face the scrutiny that you're not him ? It goes toward the old adage of be careful of what you ask for, you just may get it.

Same when Frank Mirahmadi filled in for Trevor for a couple weeks at Santa Anita. While it was only temporary, I found myself thinking a couple times " he's not Trevor. "

Ideally you want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the legend.

ILovetheInner
07-10-2014, 12:27 PM
I am incredibly saddened over his leaving. Not adjusting well to the thought of it! He is bar none the best big race caller there has ever been, yet could call the cheap horses just as incredibly when they put on a good show. His ability to inject humor into a race call is utterly singular, such as his calls through fog or blinding snow, or my spouse's favorite is "Eternity's Breath is rank." One of the things to ensure his greatness is that while he could be in awe of a 1-5 showing his mastery as all had hoped, he was equally aroused by an improbable longshot totally upsetting the apple cart. I think of him layering on Arazi's spectacular showing in the Juvenile with an astounded call, the shock at how effortlessly that colt drove by reflected in his call...."Arazi, Arazi runs right by him!"....concluded with "here indeed is a superstar!" Whereas the next year in the Mile, a quick dismissal with "Arazi does not have it!" I can never get into Trevor because there is not that celebration when the fates of racing play out.

I am not all that interested in who replaces him. He will not be Tom Durkin and we'll all have to adjust somehow. Johnny I is fine with me.

dilanesp
07-10-2014, 12:54 PM
The 2004 Belmont was racecalling perfection to me. He captured the moment with each word, even working in a carefully measured line about Smarty Jones holding the lead for one minute more as the field passed the 5f mark. The emotion of Birdstone surging by and all of us coming to the realization that this seemingly unbeatable colt was going to lose was articulated incredibly well.

I hated that call. I think it was unprofessional and inappropriate.

Lots of people bet Birdstone. They don't need the track announcer openly rooting against them.

It would have been OK (though not really right) had it just been on television, but on track, the announcer can't be openly rooting against a horse.

More generally, I'm not a fan of Durkin's screaming style. He was quite accurate in the early days, and had a way with words, so I liked him better circa 1984 or so than any of his more famous stuff. Here's an example of a call of his I liked (arguably this was the first one that got him any national attention):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKP1nBlgAbc

But the best announcer I ever heard was probably Luke Kruytbosch (I was very sad when he died), and Larry Collmus is very good. You don't need to scream to deliver an accurate, informative racecall.

Trevor, in his prime, was also far better than Durkin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJjJphmr10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JOIvALlzE4

But what I will say about Durkin is this. He has definitely become a symbol of New York racing. The last announcer you could really say that about was Fred Capossela. It's not going to be the same with someone else doing it.

EDIT: I also would add that our own Vic Stauffer was very good and he's one of the things I miss about there being no more BHP this year. I've heard his calls dating all the way back to when Waquoit won the Michigan Mile in the 1980's.

ILovetheInner
07-10-2014, 01:47 PM
But what I will say about Durkin is this. He has definitely become a symbol of New York racing. The last announcer you could really say that about was Fred Capossela. It's not going to be the same with someone else doing it.

He made himself that. I remember when he came, was lesser thrilled with the "looming boldly" guy coming in to call. He was already calling the Breeders' Cup (which will always be a part of his legend, as that voice when the Breeders Cup was a newer deal and IMO a better one) then and a lot of NY'ers were fairly negative when he arrived, worrying about his presumed showboating style. I don't know if I was running in a specific circle then or not, but this ain't L.A., and a lot of us NY crustys were none too thrilled about having THAT come to town. Didn't last long, though.

dilanesp
07-10-2014, 02:06 PM
He made himself that. I remember when he came, was lesser thrilled with the "looming boldly" guy coming in to call. He was already calling the Breeders' Cup (which will always be a part of his legend, as that voice when the Breeders Cup was a newer deal and IMO a better one) then and a lot of NY'ers were fairly negative when he arrived, worrying about his presumed showboating style. I don't know if I was running in a specific circle then or not, but this ain't L.A., and a lot of us NY crustys were none too thrilled about having THAT come to town. Didn't last long, though.

I can totally see that. Capossela was very restrained (and VERY "New Yawk", though he did work on national television and radio too). Dave Johnson and Chic Anderson both adopted extremely restrained styles while they were working for NYRA (perhaps at NYRA's request, I don't know). And Marshall Cassidy, who I kind of liked and who was the announcer when I first started paying a lot of attention to racing on the other coast, was an utterly catatonic presence at the mike.

So along comes Durkin and yeah, I'm sure it was like the Parisians hearing "Le Sacre du Printemps" for the first time. (Trevor had sort of the same effect out here.)

Rex Phinney
07-10-2014, 05:07 PM

Lots of people bet Birdstone. They don't need the track announcer openly rooting against them.

It would have been OK (though not really right) had it just been on television, but on track, the announcer can't be openly rooting against a horse.

I have to disagree, I will call the 2004 Belmont one of my top 3 calls of all time. Easy.

Why can't an announcer root for greatness? He isn't rooting against any horse, he is rooting to see something great. I've never understood that idea, that the announcer has to be numb to the obvious rooting interest of the masses or he can't pull to see something great with his own two eyes. I was 24 years old for Smarty's Belmont, and I will never forget it as long as I live. That's the point.

Collmus puts me to sleep, I'm sorry he isn't close to Trevor or Durkin.

Trevor is for my money the best announcer for a Wednesday card full of claimers, his voice is just regal, quick when he needs it, and full of class all around.

Probably I would take Durkin to call one big race though, he seems to have a way of coming up with something totally original and yet completely obvious.

andtheyreoff
07-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Speaking of Tom, the field for his last race at Belmont has come out. It's a 10 horse, n/w2x allowance race for filly and mare New York breds. Post time is 5:28 PM EDT on Sunday, so make sure to listen in.

dilanesp
07-10-2014, 07:25 PM
I have to disagree, I will call the 2004 Belmont one of my top 3 calls of all time. Easy.

Why can't an announcer root for greatness? He isn't rooting against any horse, he is rooting to see something great.

He didn't just cheer for Smarty Jones. He CRIED because Birdstone won. He dropped his voice like some great tragedy happened.

It was no great tragedy for the thousands of people at the track who bet Birdstone. Or the owner of Birdstone (a woman who contributed more to this sport than Smarty Jones ever will and who was BOOED by the classless New York racing fans during the trophy presentation).

The 2004 Belmont was a great race. But because we had a 2 year old in the announcer's booth, it was called as a devastating tragedy.

It's awful. It isn't Durkin's business to hope that people lose their bets and to cry when they win them.

I've never understood that idea, that the announcer has to be numb to the obvious rooting interest of the masses or he can't pull to see something great with his own two eyes.

The second one is fine. But the first one can't take the form of dropping your voice and whining when it doesn't happen.

dirty moose
07-10-2014, 07:34 PM
The 2004 Belmont was a great race. But because we had a 2 year old in the announcer's booth, it was called as a devastating tragedy.

It's awful. It isn't Durkin's business to hope that people lose their bets and to cry when they win them.

The second one is fine. But the first one can't take the form of dropping your voice and whining when it doesn't happen.

What is he a robot? He human too....

dilanesp
07-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Speaking of Tom, the field for his last race at Belmont has come out. It's a 10 horse, n/w2x allowance race for filly and mare New York breds. Post time is 5:28 PM EDT on Sunday, so make sure to listen in.

I suspect the one he's going to make count is the one at Saratoga this September.

dilanesp
07-10-2014, 07:41 PM
What is he a robot? He human too....

Human beings who want to do jobs that involve announcing on public address systems can be required to control themselves.

Indeed, Durkin did much of the time. His calls of Sarava and Da Tara were fine. For some reason, it was only Birdstone which really offended him.

jk3521
07-10-2014, 08:10 PM
It was 10 yrs ago, let it go! SHHEEESH!!

PhantomOnTour
07-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Dear Tom,

I know you are retiring soon; bringing a stellar career to a close, and taking your place among the greatest American race callers ever. You have been fantastic, but I am still sore about your call in the 2004 Belmont.
Boy did you really screw that up...I mean, geesh, don't you know that no one cared about the Triple Crown? Why would you even let something as trivial as that creep into your race call? I would have preferred a stoic monotone and the heaping of praises on Birdstone. After all, who cares about Smarty Jones now? He lost.

Gonna miss you - big fan,

Dilanesp

ArlJim78
07-10-2014, 09:04 PM
to dilanesp, there is no bigger screamer than Collmus. It's hard to listen to the end of a big race he calls without turning the volume down. exhibit A, jump to the 1:50 mark get your earplugs ready for the forced phony screaming at the wire. It adds no drama or excitement either, its just some guy screaming.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byImGPuNDBc
byImGPuNDBc

If you start a thread about Durkin and ask for people to name their most memorable Durkin calls, the thread will go on for 10 pages or more and people will nominate dozens of different races over his career.

Pick any other top caller from today, and ask yourself what are his most memorable calls? Add them all together and how big is that list compared to Durkins? The guy is a maestro at his craft, in a league of his own.

PhantomOnTour
07-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Thank you ArlJim...Collmus is a screamer and hard to listen to sometimes, esp the big races.
He got a LOT of pub for his "The wife knows - the wife doesn't know" call.
Which was excellent, I'll admit....but I somehow look back and wonder if that call catapulted him past some other announcers who I think are his equal, or better (Dave Rodman).

hogoffate
07-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Durkin had a call for a race at Belmont where the horse was Do Ray Me.. when it finally was going to win, he sang the do rey me fa so la… it was hilarious.

Also at Aqueduct, there was a race where Woodman and Woodwinner were battling down the stretch. Woodman, Woodwinner, Woodman, Woodwinner….

I think Vic Stauffer would be a great replacement for Tom. He's observant, funny, intense, and can make it exciting.

Stillriledup
07-10-2014, 09:33 PM

More generally, I'm not a fan of Durkin's screaming style. He was quite accurate in the early days, and had a way with words, so I liked him better circa 1984 or so than any of his more famous stuff. Here's an example of a call of his I liked (arguably this was the first one that got him any national attention):

But the best announcer I ever heard was probably Luke Kruytbosch (I was very sad when he died), and Larry Collmus is very good. You don't need to scream to deliver an accurate, informative racecall.

EDIT: I also would add that our own Vic Stauffer was very good and he's one of the things I miss about there being no more BHP this year. I've heard his calls dating all the way back to when Waquoit won the Michigan Mile in the 1980's.

I have to disagree with your points on the Birdstone call. It was brilliant and it was an artform and it was the only possible way he could have called it. People who were at the track were there to see Smarty Jones win, not lose. They went to see a triple crown, not to see the TC horse have the lead down the lane and get passed.

If he would have went nuts and called Birdstone as if he was happy the horse won, people would have said he was glad Smarty lost and how could he be so happy that the TC horse got beat.

Trevor openly rooted for Zenyatta.....it happens.

Gulchy
07-10-2014, 10:02 PM
There wasn't one person holding a winning ticket on Birdstone that even heard the race call. They were screaming their a s s off.

I've never in my life been concerned that a track announcer was rooting against me.

Stillriledup
07-10-2014, 10:20 PM
There wasn't one person holding a winning ticket on Birdstone that even heard the race call. They were screaming their a s s off.

I've never in my life been concerned that a track announcer was rooting against me.

Some of these guys you WANT rooting against you. :D

EMD4ME
07-10-2014, 11:08 PM
If you start a thread about Durkin and ask for people to name their most memorable Durkin calls, the thread will go on for 10 pages or more and people will nominate dozens of different races over his career.

Pick any other top caller from today, and ask yourself what are his most memorable calls? Add them all together and how big is that list compared to Durkins? The guy is a maestro at his craft, in a league of his own.[/QUOTE]

I 1000000000000% AGREE

thespaah
07-10-2014, 11:39 PM
I can totally see that. Capossela was very restrained (and VERY "New Yawk", though he did work on national television and radio too). Dave Johnson and Chic Anderson both adopted extremely restrained styles while they were working for NYRA (perhaps at NYRA's request, I don't know). And Marshall Cassidy, who I kind of liked and who was the announcer when I first started paying a lot of attention to racing on the other coast, was an utterly catatonic presence at the mike.

So along comes Durkin and yeah, I'm sure it was like the Parisians hearing "Le Sacre du Printemps" for the first time. (Trevor had sort of the same effect out here.)
I liked Cassidy when he was in his prime years with NYRA. Toward the end of his tenure he seemed bored and his calls reflected that.
It happens. It's not a character flaw. I think the guy had just had enough.
I was a fan of Chic Anderson. I thought his delivery and precision were unmatched.

thespaah
07-10-2014, 11:44 PM

I thought the call was fine. Reason being is everybody wanted to see a TC Winner. So what if Durkin was being a 'homer'....The Belmont Stakes with a TC on the line is not just a horse race. It is an event. Perhaps an historic event.
BTW, the call of the race has absolutely ZERO bearing on the race or the outcome. ZERO.
I cannot count how many times losing bettors went so far as to vent anger toward the announcer....Jeez. That's like blaming the Tv weather guy for a rainy day.

dilanesp
07-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Dear Tom,

I know you are retiring soon; bringing a stellar career to a close, and taking your place among the greatest American race callers ever. You have been fantastic, but I am still sore about your call in the 2004 Belmont.
Boy did you really screw that up...I mean, geesh, don't you know that no one cared about the Triple Crown? Why would you even let something as trivial as that creep into your race call? I would have preferred a stoic monotone and the heaping of praises on Birdstone. After all, who cares about Smarty Jones now? He lost.

Gonna miss you - big fan,

Dilanesp

That's a complete straw man.

PhantomOnTour
07-10-2014, 11:50 PM
That's a complete straw man.
I admit it was a stretch...should have put a :rolleyes: or a ;) after it.
My bad...just poking a little fun.

No hard feelings

dilanesp
07-10-2014, 11:52 PM
I thought the call was fine. Reason being is everybody wanted to see a TC Winner. So what if Durkin was being a 'homer'....The Belmont Stakes with a TC on the line is not just a horse race. It is an event. Perhaps an historic event.
BTW, the call of the race has absolutely ZERO bearing on the race or the outcome. ZERO.
I cannot count how many times losing bettors went so far as to vent anger toward the announcer....Jeez. That's like blaming the Tv weather guy for a rainy day.

It really isn't a matter of bettors venting anger. It's more on the level of "the racetrack is supposed to present a fair betting environment, the public address is to inform spectators of what is happening, and the PA announcer should not be rooting for anyone to lose a bet or seem upset that they won it".

Listen to Durkin's Sarava and Da Tara calls. He knew how to do it correctly. For some reason, however, Birdstone's victory, and only Birdstone's victory, was an unspeakable tragedy comparable to the Hindenberg.

thespaah
07-11-2014, 12:29 AM
It really isn't a matter of bettors venting anger. It's more on the level of "the racetrack is supposed to present a fair betting environment, the public address is to inform spectators of what is happening, and the PA announcer should not be rooting for anyone to lose a bet or seem upset that they won it".

Listen to Durkin's Sarava and Da Tara calls. He knew how to do it correctly. For some reason, however, Birdstone's victory, and only Birdstone's victory, was an unspeakable tragedy comparable to the Hindenberg.
I do not understand how you make the great leap from a race call that accurately painted a picture of disappointment among the vast majority of those in attendance and across North America who wanted to see a TC winner, to "rooting against the horse on which you wagered.
In what way was Durkin rooting against your wagering selection?
Because he like 90% of the other people watching wanted to see a TC winner?
Come on now.
And let me tell you right now...I have witnessed these bettor tamper tantrums with my own two eyes.
Tell me what does this scenario say to you.....the guy crumples his tickets and fires them at the ground and screams "He called the wrong effing horse!!!" ...?

bello
07-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Back to the original thread question. I hope someone is taking a lok at Tony Calo of Finger Lakes. Excellent knowledge of how the race is setting up and who will still challenge turning for home. Great voice. Deserves a shot at the big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfegveyR_mw

Tor Ekman
07-11-2014, 11:35 AM
As long as it's not the guy with the Aussie accent from Mountaineer.

bello
07-11-2014, 11:56 AM
I truly hope the Aussie, English, Kiwi trend is over. Plenty of American talent.

Please NYRA

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:00 PM
I couldn't agree more. Is there a worse caller in the country?

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
I truly hope the Aussie, English, Kiwi trend is over. Plenty of American talent.
Amen to that.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:13 PM
I would seriously stop betting on NYRA races if he got the job.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't think the Kiwi invasion has started.

bello
07-11-2014, 12:21 PM
I don't think the Kiwi invasion has started.

Sorry, Hard for some of us to tell the difference so I thought I would include all possibilities. Isn't Emerald announcer from New Zealand?

AfleetAlex
07-11-2014, 12:27 PM
Thank you ArlJim...Collmus is a screamer and hard to listen to sometimes, esp the big races.
He got a LOT of pub for his "The wife knows - the wife doesn't know" call.
Which was excellent, I'll admit....but I somehow look back and wonder if that call catapulted him past some other announcers who I think are his equal, or better (Dave Rodman).

I couldn't agree more. Dave Rodman always seems to get overlooked. The New Orleans native can have fun with any race-call, whether it is a stakes race or bottom level. It is a shame he won't have a Virginia Derby to call this summer :(

Tor Ekman
07-11-2014, 12:27 PM
I couldn't agree more. Is there a worse caller in the country?The calls are fine, it's just the accent I find incongruous and disconcerting. But then again, I'm a New Yawker ;)

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Sorry, Hard for some of us to tell the difference so I thought I would include all possibilities. Isn't Emerald announcer from New Zealand?
He was born in England and raised in Australia.

wisconsin
07-11-2014, 12:29 PM
I couldn't agree more. Is there a worse caller in the country?

Nearly fell out of my chair! Sharp post, Peter, very good :lol:

Keep up the good work, btw.

ps-Do you think we should tell him?

olddaddy
07-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Well played Mr. Berry.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:33 PM
The calls are fine, it's just the accent I find incongruous and disconcerting. But then again, I'm a New Yawker ;)
"Incongruous" the perfect word to describe an Australian accent in West Virginia.

bello
07-11-2014, 12:36 PM
He likely figured it out.....Just playing along as well Peter. But I do feel New Yorkers will object to a caller that does not sound somewhat like them.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Nearly fell out of my chair! Sharp post, Peter, very good :lol:

Keep up the good work, btw.

ps-Do you think we should tell him?
I'm fine with what he said. He's OK with the calls, just not the accent. I totally get that.

Tor Ekman
07-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Oh snap! No sh*t, you're the Mountaineer guy? That's awesomely hilarious. Well played, indeed.

bello
07-11-2014, 12:53 PM
He was born in England and raised in Australia.

I guess that is the proof we cannot tell the difference.

BTW great call after that thunder hit during a race last week. Sounded like it knocked you off your chair.

PaceAdvantage
07-12-2014, 08:15 PM
As long as it's not the guy with the Aussie accent from Mountaineer.As a lifelong NYRA homer, I have to completely disagree with you. I don't care about the accent. I care about the call. And Peter Berry is definitely on my short list of announcers who I think would deserve a shot at the big stage.

Peter Berry
07-12-2014, 08:29 PM
For the record, I didn't apply for the NYRA job. They no doubt would like someone a little younger. I'll be happy enough if the new Mountaineer owners keep me.

Billnewman
07-12-2014, 10:23 PM
I don't know how to trim the video down to just the ending but it's my favorite call at the finish. Slambino won!! He's 88 to 1 !!!!!

http://youtu.be/PzvFTRWJzYM

alhattab
07-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Back to the original thread question. I hope someone is taking a lok at Tony Calo of Finger Lakes. Excellent knowledge of how the race is setting up and who will still challenge turning for home. Great voice. Deserves a shot at the big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfegveyR_mw

Anyone know if Collmus knew of Durkin's intentions and was able to consider when taking the Churchill gig? Collmus to me would have/is an obvious choice, but I presume he is locked up by Churchill for some time frame.

BTW saw Collmus @ Mth on UN Day last Sunday. He's living on the Shore for the summer.

Thebigguy
07-12-2014, 11:39 PM
As a lifelong NYRA homer, I have to completely disagree with you. I don't care about the accent. I care about the call. And Peter Berry is definitely on my short list of announcers who I think would deserve a shot at the big stage.
Any idea about who is being considered? I can't find any info anywhere. I hope its Vic, I always liked his calls.

thespaah
07-12-2014, 11:50 PM
Any idea about who is being considered? I can't find any info anywhere. I hope its Vic, I always liked his calls.
When Vic was on here discussing his options going forward, he indicated a desire to not travel a lot and to stay on the west coast.
I would really like to see Vic take the NYRA job, but I think that possibility is remote.
RATS!!!!!

TheEdge07
07-13-2014, 08:46 AM
John Dooley my 1st choice
Vic
Sam McKee

alhattab
07-13-2014, 09:59 AM
John Dooley my 1st choice
Vic
Sam McKee

Sam McKee would be an interesting choice. Same path Durkin took. I think McKee's calls are really good and he does a nice job of elevating the excitement as the race progresses. Very descriptive too.

jballscalls
07-13-2014, 10:05 AM

my experience in applying for announcer jobs, which is only a few...is rumors will circulate amongst the boys...someone will quietly get interviewed and hired....an announcement will be made.....then everyone will start gossiping on who is gonna get the job of the guy who just got the NYRA job.

it never ends LOL

But you won't hear any "info" or rumors. they keep the lid tight on these deals

Tom
07-13-2014, 10:09 AM
NYRA already has the best announcer out there on its payroll.
And it ain't Tom.

Johnny I is far and away there best there is.
If I were NYRA, I'd be looking for a good second man to learn from the best.

TheEdge07
07-13-2014, 10:32 AM
Sam McKee would be an interesting choice. Same path Durkin took. I think McKee's calls are really good and he does a nice job of elevating the excitement as the race progresses. Very descriptive too.

Mckee is real good
Listen to his call Somebeachsomewhere vs Art Officail in the Meadowlands pace final..

Somebeachsomewhere defeated AO earlier in the card..In that race SM used the phrase SBSW has kicked some SANDUST ON ART OFFICIALS FACE..it was classic..

NTamm1215
07-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Mckee is real good
Listen to his call Somebeachsomewhere vs Art Officail in the Meadowlands pace final..

Somebeachsomewhere defeated AO earlier in the card..In that race SM used the phrase SBSW has kicked some SANDUST ON ART OFFICIALS FACE..it was classic..

Sam McKee is a great harness caller with a significant job at the Big M. I'm sure he's happy to do what he's doing moving forward. Doubt he's even interested in NYRA.

BlueShoe
07-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Sam McKee would be an interesting choice.
Odd, do not recall ever hearing him call a TB race. Have heard Ken Warkentin, who is pretty good. With California's very restrictive simulcast policy, there are many announcers that we never or only rarely get to hear.

Another top announcer, whom I consider to be among the top five in the nation, is Kurt Becker. However, believe that he is involved with auto racing when away from Keeneland, so he might not be available or interested in the NYRA position.

ArlJim78
07-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I've heard Sam McKee call thoroughbred races at the old Detroit Race Course when it was owned by Ladbroke. This was probably some 20 years ago. Actually he was/is quite good at it.

Exotic1
07-13-2014, 11:43 AM
And it ain't Tom.

I happen to like Johnny I. Sometimes you want to hear someone who just doesn't get in the way - he has many other positive attributes.

Picking up live horses from the mid or back of pack is important. T. Durkin picked up the #5 from another galaxy in the fifth yesterday.

I think Travis Stone is very good at Monmouth.

wiffleball whizz
07-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Sam McKee is a great harness caller with a significant job at the Big M. I'm sure he's happy to do what he's doing moving forward. Doubt he's even interested in NYRA.

With the meadowlands only racing fri and sat and dark a lot of the year I'm sure he wouldn't turn down the announcer job

Ken warkentin is great....and can call both breeds

Curlin
07-13-2014, 12:36 PM
And it ain't Tom.

Not as good as Tom, but no doubt the best after Tom retires. Never heard a bad call from the guy. I don't know what "it" is, but he has it.

jballscalls
07-13-2014, 01:18 PM
With the meadowlands only racing fri and sat and dark a lot of the year I'm sure he wouldn't turn down the announcer job

I believe Sam is also director of Simulcasting and TV Production at the Big M. at least according to their website.

TheEdge07
07-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Whatever happen to John Bothe he was pretty good.

Tom
07-13-2014, 01:52 PM

Didn't he shoot Lincoln?

andtheyreoff
07-13-2014, 01:55 PM

He's announcing at Fair Meadows in Oklahoma.

TheEdge07
07-13-2014, 02:07 PM

Wow from the Big M to FM

He aslo had a ongoing lawsuit against the Meadowlands(I think)

johnhannibalsmith
07-13-2014, 02:18 PM
"Ongoing" might not be the right adjective since he settled and resigned a decade and a half ago or something.

jballscalls
07-13-2014, 02:34 PM
"Ongoing" might not be the right adjective since he settled and resigned a decade and a half ago or something.

haha!

mountainman
07-13-2014, 03:15 PM
I'll be happy enough if the new Mountaineer owners keep me.

Amen. You and a few hundred others. But I wouldn't worry if I were you. You're good at what you do. And unlike edgy, sometimes over-candid analysis, a personable voice giving the blow-by-blow makes few enemies.

Stillriledup
07-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Wasn't he calling at Indiana?

Cholly
07-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Tom Durkin's last Belmont call coming up in about ten minutes...

alhattab
07-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Odd, do not recall ever hearing him call a TB race. Have heard Ken Warkentin, who is pretty good. With California's very restrictive simulcast policy, there are many announcers that we never or only rarely get to hear.

Another top announcer, whom I consider to be among the top five in the nation, is Kurt Becker. However, believe that he is involved with auto racing when away from Keeneland, so he might not be available or interested in the NYRA position.

I don't know if he has or hasn't. I saw the other poster mentioning DRC. As far as I know before NYRA Durkin had called T'breds only at Cahokia.

rstp354
07-13-2014, 08:14 PM
His career went "zooming" downhill.

reckless
07-13-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't know if he has or hasn't. I saw the other poster mentioning DRC. As far as I know before NYRA Durkin had called T'breds only at Cahokia.

Dave Johnson started his announcing career at Cahokia before going to NYRA.

Durkin did call the races at both Tampa Bay Downs and Hialeah prior to his landing the NYRA gig.

alhattab
07-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Dave Johnson started his announcing career at Cahokia before going to NYRA.

Durkin did call the races at both Tampa Bay Downs and Hialeah prior to his landing the NYRA gig.

Yeah right. Forgot about Hialeah. I think he was calling Hialeah and Meadowlands in the same year and would winter in Fla. didn't realize he did Tbd

affirmedny
07-13-2014, 09:16 PM

He was the announcer at DRC in the 90s. He's also called thoroughbreds at Monmouth and the Meadowlands.

thespaah
07-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Mckee is real good

In my opinion Ken Warkentin is a better announcer.
What breaks it for me is Mc Kee's obvious upper mid west regionalism.
Warkentin did a fine job calling Monmouth in the fall.

thespaah
07-13-2014, 09:23 PM

Becker? I agree 100%. That guy has the goods.
Great voice. Smooth calls. He'd be a real good guy for NYRA's booth

thespaah
07-13-2014, 09:25 PM
I believe Sam is also director of Simulcasting and TV Production at the Big M. at least according to their website.
Yep..Mc Kee and Warkentin both wear several different hats.

thespaah
07-13-2014, 09:28 PM
He was callling races in Indiana. I think Hoosier Downs..
Here's the rub on him....Meadowlands management wanted him to do the handicapping show similar to what Warkentin does now.
When Meadowlands management wanted to have Bothe do the show..
Well, here's a link to the story. Pretty thick, this one is.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=19924

TheEdge07
07-13-2014, 09:35 PM
McKee at work
2008 Meadowlands Pace Final - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOKLGsu3Glo)

Somebeachsomewhere Meadowlands - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-YdjQRi75o)

Somebeachsomewhere - Meadowlands Pace Elim - YouTube (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCQQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D62D UsgYxOO4&ei=rTTDU5-DGYOeyAT57oKYBA&usg=AFQjCNG9pNeNjl5qf0zSuidfe9XXKm3ujQ&bvm=bv.70810081,d.aWw) the 200 minute mark calls SBSW has kicked sanddust in ART OFFICIALS FACE...classic

thespaah
07-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Wow from the Big M to FM

He aslo had a ongoing lawsuit against the Meadowlands(I think)
That conflict started in 1999.
Never heard whether or not the suit was settled, or if it went to trial, which party prevailed.
I do not believe, I could be incorrect, the Americans With Disabilities Act and a NJ State accommodations statute, under which Bothe's attorney filed suit does not apply to compulsive gambling.

thespaah
07-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Durkins final call at Belmont today was smooth and professional.
I would not expect anything else.
I am curious if he did some sort of sign off upon completing his post race announcements.

wisconsin
07-13-2014, 10:13 PM

Balmoral as well.

affirmedny
07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
That conflict started in 1999.
Never heard whether or not the suit was settled, or if it went to trial, which party prevailed.
I do not believe, I could be incorrect, the Americans With Disabilities Act and a NJ State accommodations statute, under which Bothe's attorney filed suit does not apply to compulsive gambling.

He settled for 225K

Tara73
07-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Durkins final call at Belmont today was smooth and professional.
I would not expect anything else.
I am curious if he did some sort of sign off upon completing his post race announcements.

NO sign off. Just a very professional call as stated. Durkin did mention opening day at Saratoga.

Milkshaker
07-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Here's something I haven't heard mentioned.

John Imbriale announced his retirement from NYRA about 8-9 years ago but was soon back on the mic as a fill-in backup.

Should we expect that Tom's "final call" at Saratoga will not actually be his final call?

the little guy
07-14-2014, 07:24 PM

John Imbriale announced his retirement from NYRA about 8-9 years ago but was soon back on the mic as a fill-in backup.

Should we expect that Tom's "final call" at Saratoga will not actually be his final call?

Not exactly Logic 101.

Del Park
07-14-2014, 08:35 PM
tom is the greatest. I still have his call when Time for a change beat

Devils bag! A classic :kiss:

dilanesp
07-14-2014, 09:29 PM

Very possible. They had Marshall Cassidy back in the booth a few years ago as well. And Dave Johnson used to come by and call a race the day before the Breeders' Cup when it was at Belmont.

But I'm sure that for purposes of Durkin's announcing style, the last call at Saratoga this year will be treated as the "last" call.

NY BRED
07-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Inmho , a great announcer allows you to visualize a race as it
unfolds ,and affords you a sense if your pick(s) have a shot of
being in the mix in deep stretch

Tom hit all those right notes with an incredible clarity, and
generally added touches of humor ,including strong drama
when tough battles arose in any type of race.

He is and was pure class and surely will be a tough act to follow.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I

thespaah
07-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Very possible. They had Marshall Cassidy back in the booth a few years ago as well. And Dave Johnson used to come by and call a race the day before the Breeders' Cup when it was at Belmont.

But I'm sure that for purposes of Durkin's announcing style, the last call at Saratoga this year will be treated as the "last" call.
I could be wrong on this one, but I think Marshall Cassidy would call the first race on closing day at Saratoga. This seemed to be the case over several years.

Billnewman
07-15-2014, 01:43 AM
And it ain't Tom.

I'm surprised to hear you say this. He's good and all but it's the same every race. They're off and on the outside and at the rail midway through the race and on the outside and on the inside around the far turn and on the outside and on the inside. It's concise but bland I doubt he would have missed Mine That Bird because he was on the inside.

johnhannibalsmith
07-15-2014, 02:13 AM
I don't know if he's bland, but he definitely doesn't try to convince anyone that a ham sandwich is really caviar when we're all eating ham and know it.

Probably one of the things I love about his calls.

jk3521
07-15-2014, 07:45 AM
I know that if I'm in the other room and Tom is calling the race I can visualize the race in my mind.No other race caller can quite do that. Irreplaceable. To me Imbriale means the inner track.

dilanesp
07-15-2014, 01:57 PM
I'm surprised to hear you say this. He's good and all but it's the same every race. They're off and on the outside and at the rail midway through the race and on the outside and on the inside around the far turn and on the outside and on the inside. It's concise but bland I doubt he would have missed Mine That Bird because he was on the inside.

One reason I am glad Durkin is retiring is that he got very salty in the last few years. (Trevor has lost a step too.) He blew calls on Mine That Bird and Drosselmeyer in big races. It's a young person's game.

Redboard
07-15-2014, 05:01 PM
One reason I am glad Durkin is retiring is that he got very salty in the last few years. (Trevor has lost a step too.) He blew calls on Mine That Bird and Drosselmeyer in big races. It's a young person's game.

I'd rather listen to Tom blow calls in every race, than these other bums do it perfectly.

TheEdge07
07-15-2014, 05:07 PM
I'd rather listen to Tom blow calls in every race, than these other bums do it perfectly.

Redboard .....other bums...come on dude..there some announcers that post on PA..

Valuist
07-15-2014, 06:16 PM
My favorite Durkin calls: the Cigar (the UNBEATABLE Cigar), the Arrrrrrrrrrrrg and maybe even the first BC Classic, which was a great finish with 3 horses together at the wire.

Peter Berry
07-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Fact.

HuggingTheRail
07-15-2014, 06:47 PM
Fact.

Peter, you are awesome - at both announcing and posting! :ThmbUp: :lol:

EMD4ME
07-15-2014, 11:03 PM

TOM at his worst.... is better than the rest at their best

TheEdge07
07-16-2014, 07:15 AM
TOM at his worst.... is better than the rest at their best

No hes not.

dirty moose
07-16-2014, 09:47 AM

:confused::bang:

ILovetheInner
07-16-2014, 03:32 PM

I don't understand how they do it at all, and I would think the aging process is no asset for the rather intensive short term memory the job demands. I don't think you have to be young....unless you are saying that and are 85 :D.....but just being real it is reasonable to expect losing a few steps as you get older. He's not the whizz kid he was, but he's still Durkin and that is a treasure.

I would hope/assume other race callers on this forum have a thick enough skin to hear some saying they'd still prefer Durkin over anyone else. He's a legend with a style all his own. I can only imagine they wished they'd come up with some of the stuff he has through the years. I am not sure which of the more colorful race callers can "off the cuff"-it the way Durkin could, and still can. I had mentioned before, I knew him as the "looming boldly" guy when he first came to NY. That was a phrase he used constantly, which got very annoying when the looming proved not to be all that bold, lol!. But he really dropped that. Calls can be very unique, that's part of the Durkin legend and charm. If I were a race caller, I'm sure I'd be one of his biggest fans.

dilanesp
07-16-2014, 05:42 PM
I don't understand how they do it at all, and I would think the aging process is no asset for the rather intensive short term memory the job demands. I don't think you have to be young....unless you are saying that and are 85 :D.....but just being real it is reasonable to expect losing a few steps as you get older. He's not the whizz kid he was, but he's still Durkin and that is a treasure.

I would hope/assume other race callers on this forum have a thick enough skin to hear some saying they'd still prefer Durkin over anyone else. He's a legend with a style all his own. I can only imagine they wished they'd come up with some of the stuff he has through the years. I am not sure which of the more colorful race callers can "off the cuff"-it the way Durkin could, and still can. I had mentioned before, I knew him as the "looming boldly" guy when he first came to NY. That was a phrase he used constantly, which got very annoying when the looming proved not to be all that bold, lol!. But he really dropped that. Calls can be very unique, that's part of the Durkin legend and charm. If I were a race caller, I'm sure I'd be one of his biggest fans.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but very little of what Durkin does is truly off the cuff. He is known for compiling lists of synonyms, replaying calls of big races in his own mind before the race itself, etc.

There's a school of thought that condemns this-- Vin Scully and Bob Costas have both expressed that they don't think announcers should plan in advance what they might say-- but it's how most announcers work when it comes to big events, and Durkin is no exception.

thespaah
07-16-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't want to burst your bubble, but very little of what Durkin does is truly off the cuff. He is known for compiling lists of synonyms, replaying calls of big races in his own mind before the race itself, etc.

There's a school of thought that condemns this-- Vin Scully and Bob Costas have both expressed that they don't think announcers should plan in advance what they might say-- but it's how most announcers work when it comes to big events, and Durkin is no exception.
Here's the rub on your analysis. Scully was most likely referring to live announcing of baseball. A craft in which one never wants to sound contrived or to have made a conclusion about events that have not yet unfolded.
In horse racing, there are different factors. Let's take for example, Cigar's BC win....The whole place was brimming with anticipation that this guy was going to win. Of course Durkin, or any other talented announcer would have prepped for this.
Let's look at the 1986 World Series.....Once the Mets took the lead into the top of the 9th, I find it very likely that Mets play by play announcer had in his mind how he was going to call the game had the Mets been leading when the final out was recorded.
To claim that announcers do not make preparations for the possibility of certain events taking place during a contest is naive.
Don't even mention Costas in the same breath. He's not qualified to carry the case that holds Scully's microphone

dilanesp
07-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Here's the rub on your analysis. Scully was most likely referring to live announcing of baseball. A craft in which one never wants to sound contrived or to have made a conclusion about events that have not yet unfolded.
In horse racing, there are different factors. Let's take for example, Cigar's BC win....The whole place was brimming with anticipation that this guy was going to win. Of course Durkin, or any other talented announcer would have prepped for this.
Let's look at the 1986 World Series.....Once the Mets took the lead into the top of the 9th, I find it very likely that Mets play by play announcer had in his mind how he was going to call the game had the Mets been leading when the final out was recorded.
To claim that announcers do not make preparations for the possibility of certain events taking place during a contest is naive.
Don't even mention Costas in the same breath. He's not qualified to carry the case that holds Scully's microphone

To be clear, I don't have a problem with Durkin coming up with stuff in advance. Indeed, despite what Scully and Costas say, it doesn't really bother me that announcers prepare for big calls.

I did, in practice, find a lot of Durkin's stuff to be really corny. Sunday Silence was not "bracing for the oncoming power of Easy Goer". Easy Goer wasn't that powerful, and Sunday Silence wasn't bracing for anything; he was just running fast, just like he usually did. "There is cause for Concern" is just a dumb pun that any fourth grader could come up with.

The Durkin calls I liked tended to have less of the canned stuff and more genuine detail. I mentioned the 1984 Flamingo, which was actually the first time I ever heard him. Another one was his call of Arcangues-- nothing contrived, just genuine emotion-- "he's 99 to 1 in the Breeders' Cup Classic!".

But he probably knew he was going to say something about the two Derby winners hitting the wire together in 1987, he said it, and it was good. So there's that one.

ILovetheInner
07-16-2014, 10:22 PM
To be clear, I don't have a problem with Durkin coming up with stuff in advance. Indeed, despite what Scully and Costas say, it doesn't really bother me that announcers prepare for big calls.

I did, in practice, find a lot of Durkin's stuff to be really corny. Sunday Silence was not "bracing for the oncoming power of Easy Goer". Easy Goer wasn't that powerful, and Sunday Silence wasn't bracing for anything; he was just running fast, just like he usually did. "There is cause for Concern" is just a dumb pun that any fourth grader could come up with.

The Durkin calls I liked tended to have less of the canned stuff and more genuine detail. I mentioned the 1984 Flamingo, which was actually the first time I ever heard him. Another one was his call of Arcangues-- nothing contrived, just genuine emotion-- "he's 99 to 1 in the Breeders' Cup Classic!".

But he probably knew he was going to say something about the two Derby winners hitting the wire together in 1987, he said it, and it was good. So there's that one.

I agree with all of this. The "bracing" comment in the BCC re Easy Goer was a bit of a fail. Still was a great stinking call, IMO, because of that emotion. His stammer of "Arazi.....Arazi blows right by him!" is way up there with me. Chills up the spine turned flat out electric in that moment. Up there with probably one of the greatest calls in history..... "moving like a tremendous machine" which really echoed the emotion of watching that historic Belmont live. Not all race callers can do that. Trevor, IMO, cannot.

Durkin can indeed call off the cuff....I will argue that all day long. He does so in an emotional context. Bar none, his ability to layer on something extraordinary with as much love for the mastery or the improbable as anyone in the stands can have cements a great race in our minds forever. The number of times he has done that are pretty much countless by this stage.

He has been particularly solid on improbable results. "One Dreamer is strong!" I thought was a powerful call. That was a very strong Distaff field, and his ability to shift gears and accept that an improbable result was in the offing was just mastery, compared to some other callers who spend way too much time pining on the likely runners who just aren't bringing it.

v j stauffer
07-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Really great stuff guys. IMO some of it spot on and some total poprekosh. However you've all been listening intently which is all any announcer can ask.

I've often thought announcers call races for their wives, other announcers, a precious few that are true fans and SRU who, well, doesn't count cuz he's too anal.

As for who's Durkin's BIGGEST fan don't bother debating that. It's some GOOF that lives in SF. The rest of you are all worthy candidates for 2nd. :)

thaskalos
07-17-2014, 12:42 AM
I know that if I'm in the other room and Tom is calling the race I can visualize the race in my mind.No other race caller can quite do that. Irreplaceable.
No other announcer can do that? What do the other announcers do?

kmac1470
07-17-2014, 12:54 AM
Got down to Canterbury last weekend and really enjoyed Paul Allen's live call which is funny because I don't like his calls when I am watching the races remotely on the video feed. Probably my fault more than his.

I wonder if there is a dichotomy between the remote simulcast fans who only want the facts presented clearly and concisely and the on track fans who get caught up in the announcers excitement.

P.S. I believe I win a prize for being the first poster to use the word "dichotomy" in a horse racing forum!

P.P.S. - Also got to say hi to Richard Grunder who I hadn't seen in thirty odd years when he was the race caller at ASD. Very personable and knowledgeable. You guys who bash him should really try and do his job someday.

johnhannibalsmith
07-17-2014, 12:57 AM

P.S. I believe I win a prize for being the first poster to use the word "dichotomy" in a horse racing forum!

Sorry, according to the search function, you come in 163rd.

:D

kmac1470
07-17-2014, 01:03 AM
While I am on the subject of race calls I have a message to Vic...

I bet a horse in a race at Hollywood that I had been watching for some time. He went off at 3-1, and opened many lengths in the stretch only to break down 50 yards from the wire. To this day, I still remember Vic's call as being as appropriate and elegant as the circumstances allowed. Even as I was fuming over the lost gamble I remember thinking how the racing fan in me appreciated the way Vic handled the event.

The horse's name was Waveland Avenue and I'm curious if Vic remembers that one? It was a pretty grisly event.

P.S. - One of the runners up in that race was Dakota Phone who would win the BC Mile the following year.

kmac1470
07-17-2014, 01:04 AM
Sorry, according to the search function, you come in 163rd.

:D

I am of two minds on your response....

v j stauffer
07-17-2014, 03:04 AM
No other announcer can do that? What do the other announcers do?

It is the unquestioned goal of every announcer to make a call that will allow fans to know what's happening while not seeing the race. Picking up live contenders is the toughest part of this skill. We call it "ringing" the winner. The earlier the more fun.

Undoubtedly Tom is a supreme master at that. Arguably the best ever.

However I believe there are several current and former announcers that are/were quite accomplished at that difficult task.

Randomly. Trevor, Larry Collmus, Dave Johnson, Harry Henson, Kurt Becker, Bill Downes, Dave Rodman, John G Dooley, Frank Mirahmadi, Joe Hernandez and Thegoofontheroof. Apologies to the few I've missed.

dirty moose
07-17-2014, 03:27 AM
Frank Mirahmadi seems to pick up live horses very early in the race. I dunno how he does it, or how any of your guys do it. Vic, have you applied for the NYRA job?

thaskalos
07-17-2014, 03:35 AM
It is the unquestioned goal of every announcer to make a call that will allow fans to know what's happening while not seeing the race. Picking up live contenders is the toughest part of this skill. We call it "ringing" the winner. The earlier the more fun.

However I believe there are several current and former announcers that are/were quite accomplished at that difficult task.

Randomly. Trevor, Larry Collmus, Dave Johnson, Harry Henson, Kurt Becker, Bill Downes, Dave Rodman, John G Dooley, Frank Mirahmadi, Joe Hernandez and Thegoofontheroof. Apologies to the few I've missed.

I, personally, am unable to choose a "best" race caller. Reducing it down to about five is the best I can do. Some people get so captivated by a handful of memorable race calls that an announcer delivers...that they are quick to elevate that announcer to legendary status...and words like "irreplaceable" start getting thrown about. I prefer to judge the race callers by the "forgettable" calls that they deliver...so I have a much harder time reaching a "best ever" decision.

To say that Tom Durkin is the "best ever", or "irreplaceable", is, IMO, a disservice to all the OTHER excellent race callers who have shared the limelight with him. I believe that...in this case...there is room for more than one man at the top.

Vinman
07-17-2014, 07:02 AM
[QUOTE=kmac1470]Got down to Canterbury last weekend and really enjoyed Paul Allen's live call which is funny because I don't like his calls when I am watching the races remotely on the video feed. Probably my fault more than his.

I happen to know that Tom D. thinks highly of Paul Allen. But I doubt any announcer job, including the NYRA gig if offered, would entice Paul to leave his current setup in MN.

Vinman

cnollfan
07-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Allen is skilled but he's too chatty before the race for my taste.

v j stauffer
07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Frank Mirahmadi seems to pick up live horses very early in the race. I dunno how he does it, or how any of your guys do it. Vic, have you applied for the NYRA job?

YES

Stillriledup
07-17-2014, 05:44 PM
YES

That would be something if you got the NYRA job, we're rooting for you no doubt. :ThmbUp:

dilanesp
07-17-2014, 05:46 PM
I agree with all of this. The "bracing" comment in the BCC re Easy Goer was a bit of a fail. Still was a great stinking call, IMO, because of that emotion. His stammer of "Arazi.....Arazi blows right by him!" is way up there with me. Chills up the spine turned flat out electric in that moment. Up there with probably one of the greatest calls in history..... "moving like a tremendous machine" which really echoed the emotion of watching that historic Belmont live. Not all race callers can do that. Trevor, IMO, cannot.

Trevor's had his moments too. "This is un-be-lieve-a-ble!" as Zenyatta flew into the lead in the final 1/16th of a mile of the Breeders' Cup Classic to become the only female in history to win the race, pretty much summed it up. He had a great call of the 1989 Preakness which few people heard, too ("and now it's Sunday Silence's turn to go right on by!"). And he had a wonderful call of Cigar's loss in the Pacific Classic (Cigar "has had to go very fast"; Dare and Go "well, you can never underestimate a class horse, and this is one classy guy on his best day!").

I think where the Durkin fans are right in the comparison between him and Trevor is that Trevor does rely more on recycled catch phrases (his calls of Winning Colors and California Chrome winning the Santa Anita Derby were exactly the same-- look it up if you don't believe me-- and if he says "they'd have to sprout wings!" one more time I'm going to jump off the overhang of the Del Mar grandstand).

And NYRA should definitely hire Vic. He gave us a great 10 years at BHP. He's accurate, colorful, and fun to listen to. New York fans would enjoy him.

PhantomOnTour
07-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Is the NYRA waiting until the last day of the Sar meet to debut their new race caller?
Durkin's last day is the 2nd to last day of the meet, and I think it would be neat to give the new guy one day at the Spa as a nice welcome.

And I also would like to see Vic Stauffer get the NYRA job.
Besides being well qualified, it would surely tick off a few folks who seem to just plain dislike him. :)

thespaah
07-17-2014, 06:41 PM
YES
No kidding? Well good luck then. I for one, hope you get it.

jk3521
07-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Does anyone have a link to a race call by Mr Stauffer?

thespaah
07-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Does anyone have a link to a race call by Mr Stauffer?
Here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtayaTqnA0s
2011 Hollywood Gold Cup..
You can find tons of races on youtube

dilanesp
07-17-2014, 07:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlXiwR7893M

jk3521
07-17-2014, 07:59 PM
He's the one! :jump:

thespaah
07-17-2014, 08:48 PM
He's the one! :jump:
Hire that guy...NOW!!!!

EMD4ME
07-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Hire that guy...NOW!!!!

Maybe Vic is already in but he has to keep quiet till Sep 1st?

ILovetheInner
07-17-2014, 09:18 PM
I, personally, am unable to choose a "best" race caller. Reducing it down to about five is the best I can do. Some people get so captivated by a handful of memorable race calls that an announcer delivers...that they are quick to elevate that announcer to legendary status...and words like "irreplaceable" start getting thrown about. I prefer to judge the race callers by the "forgettable" calls that they deliver...so I have a much harder time reaching a "best ever" decision.

To say that Tom Durkin is the "best ever", or "irreplaceable", is, IMO, a disservice to all the OTHER excellent race callers who have shared the limelight with him. I believe that...in this case...there is room for more than one man at the top.

I think there is the point of familiarity. Some callers are "irreplaceable." Tom Durkin is. Chic Anderson was. You can't replace either with someone as good in the same way. And you get used to things. Things you really groove on in some way. Odds are Durkin gets replaced by someone we will all come to admire in time. But initially, it will be Mr. He's Not Tom Durkin. And we didn't like him when he first hit town, either ;) People will get over it. Right now, there is separation anxiety going on. We're used to wit. Now we'll get used to something else.

bdownes
07-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the compliment Vic!

Stillriledup
07-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the compliment Vic!

Ok, another announcer posting here....PA might stand for Public Address and not Pace Advantage!

I know this is really embarrassing, but i've never heard of you, what track do you call and how did you get into calling/racing if you don't mind sharing? :ThmbUp:

bdownes
07-17-2014, 11:33 PM
Called at Beulah for many years. Announced at Ellis Park after Luke K passed through 2012. First announcer at Presque Isle. In the midst of my 2nd year at Indiana Grand.

foregoforever
07-17-2014, 11:46 PM
We're used to wit.

That's what I'll miss most. I was at Belmont about 10 years ago, and a horse named Tipperary was running. Now many of you can guess the punchline already, but the way it played out and the way Tom handled it was great.

It was out of the chute, and I was trying to watch with binoculars from the 3rd level. I could see that one of the horses walked or stumbled out of the gate and was way behind, but I couldn't make out the cloth or silks. I started laughing, though, thinking that this couldn't set up so perfectly.

Tom started working his way through the field. As he called each horse, not named Tipperary, my anticipation grew. Sure enough, it just had to be. After calling the next-to-last horse, Tom paused for a second and shifted into an apologetic tone with "... and ... well ... it's a long way to Tipperary."

I can't remember who won the JCGC or any other race that weekend, but I've been laughing about that call ever since. I'll really miss Tom.

Redbullsnation
07-18-2014, 01:32 AM
Loved the way Vic called that earthquake race. Smooth as hell. Hope he can also handle calling a race in the fog or snow :D

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 02:15 PM
As soon as Tom said the 2 horse was "breaking away" in Race 3 i knew i was done. Why would i have any shot to hold on with a big lead. :bang:

So, i'm guessing Tom's last actual call is the last race on Aug 31st? Isnt that NOT the last day? Its confusing, he's retiring one day before the end of the meet?

cj
08-29-2014, 02:35 PM
As soon as Tom said the 2 horse was "breaking away" in Race 3 i knew i was done. Why would i have any shot to hold on with a big lead. :bang:

So, i'm guessing Tom's last actual call is the last race on Aug 31st? Isnt that NOT the last day? Its confusing, he's retiring one day before the end of the meet?

He usually takes Mondays off.

Tom
08-29-2014, 02:53 PM
He will call the Gr1 then come down for a ceremony of some sort and not call the last 2 races.

Monday, he will be roaming the grounds, mingling and accepting well deserved kudos for a glorious career. Nice way to go out. Among the people, who he always was a man of. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Vinman
08-29-2014, 02:55 PM
After Tom concludes his fabulous race calling career on Sunday, he will be spending all day Monday at the track doing a "meet & greet" for all of us fans, signing autographs, doing photos, etc. Very classy way to say goodbye.

I will be there.

Vinman

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 03:02 PM
After Tom concludes his fabulous race calling career on Sunday, he will be spending all day Monday at the track doing a "meet & greet" for all of us fans, signing autographs, doing photos, etc. Very classy way to say goodbye.

I will be there.

Vinman

Thats fantastic stuff.

Its too late now, but they should have named a race after him and made it a grade 3 stake or something like that and had THAT as the last race he calls. "They're in the gate for the 1st running of the Tom Durkin...AND THEY ARE OFF!"

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Thats fantastic stuff.

Its too late now, but they should have named a race after him and made it a grade 3 stake or something like that and had THAT as the last race he calls. "They're in the gate for the 1st running of the Tom Durkin...AND THEY ARE OFF!"

That's a fantastic idea!!!

Rex Phinney
08-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Nothing but respect for Tom Durkin. There are only a few instances in our lifetime we get to simply describe someone as a "Legend" and that just says it all. This is one of those times.

Just can't imagine a single person who is not going to miss him like mad.

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 05:48 PM
Nothing but respect for Tom Durkin. There are only a few instances in our lifetime we get to simply describe someone as a "Legend" and that just says it all. This is one of those times.

No doubt.

dilanesp
08-29-2014, 05:56 PM

I won't. There will be other announcers. From what I've heard of him, Red Barber, who was before my time, was an amazing baseball announcer. Vin Scully, who works now, is an amazing baseball announcer. Al Michaels, when he announced baseball, was also amazing. And there will be amazing people announcing baseball games when I am dead and buried.

I don't think Tom Durkin was that great (because I really don't care for the entire style of announcing he represents, and I hate screamers in any sport), but to the extent that anyone thinks he is great, there will be others. As Juan Antonio Samaranch said, the graveyards are full of indispensable people.

Someone else will come along who does it as well as Durkin does it. It's not THAT difficult a job.

jballscalls
08-29-2014, 06:09 PM
That's a fantastic idea!!!

he said he wants any race named after him to be a 2 miler at The Big A.

To be honest, I think it would weird to have someone call a race named in their honor.

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 06:09 PM
I won't. There will be other announcers. From what I've heard of him, Red Barber, who was before my time, was an amazing baseball announcer. Vin Scully, who works now, is an amazing baseball announcer. Al Michaels, when he announced baseball, was also amazing. And there will be amazing people announcing baseball games when I am dead and buried.

I don't think Tom Durkin was that great (because I really don't care for the entire style of announcing he represents, and I hate screamers in any sport), but to the extent that anyone thinks he is great, there will be others. As Juan Antonio Samaranch said, the graveyards are full of indispensable people.

Someone else will come along who does it as well as Durkin does it. It's not THAT difficult a job.

We've had a few decades now of Durkin, and nobody has "come along" who does it as well as he does. How long are we going to have to wait? Hopefully we all live long enough!

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 06:19 PM

To be honest, I think it would weird to have someone call a race named in their honor.

Maybe he can come back for one race a year to call the Tom Durkin Stakes! :jump:

Rex Phinney
08-29-2014, 06:23 PM

There won't be another Tiznow wins it for America
There won't be another 36 years and just one furlong to go
There won't be another Imploring Real Quiet

Those races along with countless others are the stuff of Legend now. And FWIW I don't see getting alot of those from Collmus.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 06:29 PM

Those races along with countless others are the stuff of Legend now. And FWIW I don't see getting alot of those from Collmus.

100000000% correct, on all fronts.

devilsbag
08-29-2014, 06:33 PM

I wish I could find the quote, but I believe it was Richard Migliore who said that Jacinto Vasquez would knock ice cream on a hot summer day.

By your logic, Seabiscuit was an overrated claimer whose stablemate was stiffed so he could win the Santa Anita Handicap. Secretariat put together three nice races against a weak crop and otherwise got beat by mediocre horses. Why did either deserve major motion pictures?

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you cannot acknowledge that Tom Durkin will be considered a legendary part of the game who revolutionized the announcing aspect of it, you aren't helping your stock price. I'm no fan of the paint scraping wing sprouter, but I can understand that others might find him their cup of tea.

EMD4ME
08-29-2014, 06:39 PM
I wish I could find the quote, but I believe it was Richard Migliore who said that Jacinto Vasquez would knock ice cream on a hot summer day.

By your logic, Seabiscuit was an overrated claimer whose stablemate was stiffed so he could win the Santa Anita Handicap. Secretariat put together three nice races against a weak crop and otherwise got beat by mediocre horses. Why did either deserve major motion pictures?

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you cannot acknowledge that Tom Durkin will be considered a legendary part of the game who revolutionized the announcing aspect of it, you aren't helping your stock price. I'm no fan of the paint scraping wing sprouter, but I can understand that others might find him their cup of tea.

Yeah......... :jump: what he said ! :D :D :D

thespaah
08-29-2014, 11:04 PM

Look, you don't care for Durkin's style. Fine.
People in the broadcasting business thought enough of Tom Durkin to employ him to more than one Network TV Contract...
As for your expansion of your opinion that race calling is not that difficult, I challenge you to get into the booth and call a 14 race card with over 120 starters. Let us know how it works out.
Or, you can have a go at calling ONE race with a field of 12-14 horses....

thespaah
08-29-2014, 11:08 PM

I will be there.

Vinman
I really wish I could be there. I became a fan of TD when he came to the Meadowlands to call races there.
Hopefully you'll get a few minutes to share some of your favorite stories with him.
Should you get to speak with Tom, please give us an account. And of course any photos you may take.

Cratos
08-29-2014, 11:36 PM
I have heard Tom Durkins call races on the NYRA circuit since he first started there as a race announcer and he is very good, but if I had a choice it would be former NYRA race caller, Fred "Cappy" Caposella as the best; not by much, but better to my listening ears than Tom Durkins.

dirty moose
08-29-2014, 11:42 PM
Larry Collmus = Yawn to me.

Not a bad race caller, just plain and boring.

thespaah
08-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Larry Collmus = Yawn to me.

Not a bad race caller, just plain and boring.
Since he got the Breeders Cup gig, I have noticed a change. He has added screaming into the mic in some of hos BC calls.
I have always maintained that one should not try to change who they are or what they do best based on a circumstance or event.
In other words, "Dance with the one that brung ya".

Stillriledup
08-30-2014, 12:39 AM
There won't be another "Rachel Won"

Added one.

Rex Phinney
08-30-2014, 02:29 AM
Added one.

There are so many.

Rags to Riches in the Belmont
Da Hoss coming back in the BC mile
Even Mine that bird in the Derby was unforgettable

thaskalos
08-30-2014, 03:11 AM
Wrona is better.

Redbullsnation
08-30-2014, 03:17 AM
Collmus seems to be really underrated by some guys here. He's not a Durkin but he is good in his own way...

Stillriledup
08-30-2014, 04:12 AM
Wrona is better.

Better than Collmus?

I agree.

Canarsie
08-30-2014, 08:40 AM

They should move the Jockey Club Gold Cup back to two miles and let Durkin call it. To entertain the crowd and television audience they get programmers to put up a simulated race for all the patrons and tv viewers to see without giving the results away. Include the former greats who have won especially the great Kelso.

It would bring back nostalgia and the younger crowd could hear some great stories from the old timers.

This could also become a race that generates a small tv number for racing besides the BC in the fall. Just imagine the arguing going on about which horse would win the simulated one.

Just one mans thought.

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Imagine anyone but bob Murphy calling "a ground ball trickling, IT GETS BY BUCKNER, IN COMES KNIGHT AND THE MEEEETS WEEEEEN IT". It would just not be the same.

That's how NYRA will be without this true legend.

The only announcer in the last 20 years deserving of a hall of fame accreditation.

if you don't see that, you have issues. No offense.

Exotic1
08-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Tuned in the the NRYA telecast thinking Jason would declare that today would be the penultimate day of Tom Durkin's race calling days. But he didn't say "penultimate", he said "next to last" so I lost my first bet of the day. I can still get even tomorrow which is the penultimate day of the Saratoga 2014 season.

I meant this in the most endearing way. We love Jason.

thaskalos
08-30-2014, 01:23 PM
Imagine anyone but bob Murphy calling "a ground ball trickling, IT GETS BY BUCKNER, IN COMES KNIGHT AND THE MEEEETS WEEEEEN IT". It would just not be the same.

That's how NYRA will be without this true legend.

The only announcer in the last 20 years deserving of a hall of fame accreditation.

if you don't see that, you have issues. No offense.
Reading your posts in this thread...I have to wonder if NY Racing will ever be able to fully recover from Durkin's retirement. I had no idea that he was such an irreplaceable part of the NY racing scene.

Personally...I don't even have the volume on when the races are run.

Stillriledup
08-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Reading your posts in this thread...I have to wonder if NY Racing will ever be able to fully recover from Durkin's retirement. I had no idea that he was such an irreplaceable part of the NY racing scene.

I guess the big question is this. Is Collmus the "2nd best" announcer out there. Or, is he just "another guy" who's coming in and replacing a legend?

I don't think people would have as much of a problem if the new guy was just as good. Its just a big downgrade in announcers and lets face it, the difference between a top race being memorable and one that's not is the call of the race.

"Tiznow for America" and the "incomparable Cigar" and "one final acceleration" are a different from most of the rest.

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 01:58 PM

I know you a short time and like you a lot but you sound like the grinch who stole Christmas.

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 02:00 PM
I guess the big question is this. Is Collmus the "2nd best" announcer out there. Or, is he just "another guy" who's coming in and replacing a legend?

I don't think people would have as much of a problem if the new guy was just as good. Its just a big downgrade in announcers and lets face it, the difference between a top race being memorable and one that's not is the call of the race.

"Tiznow for America" and the "incomparable Cigar" and "one final acceleration" are a different from most of the rest.

I'm going to be my simple self as I answer this. Sorry...

Collmus sucks period

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 02:01 PM
He's as exciting as Marshall Cassidy. Except he yells his boring fodder

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I know you a short time and like you a lot but you sound like the grinch who stole Christmas.

I mean that with love ....

HuggingTheRail
08-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Too bad Sinatra in the 3rd race wasn't running tomorrow...

start spreading the news.....I am leaving today....

lamboguy
08-30-2014, 02:15 PM
are you guys nuts? Tom Durkin is by far the very best. there is no one that is going to fill his shoes.

i share the same harness trainer as him for years but never met him until last year when i was lucky to have breakfast with him at the hotel for the breeders cup. i asked him how he can memorize every silk and the horse's name that goes along with them, he said because he loves what he does.

the man is incredible. i am sorry to see him leave, but happy to have had the opportunity to listen to him for many years.

thespaah
08-30-2014, 02:21 PM
Wrona is better.
Oh KAY....That's your opinion...
Sticks finger down throat..
Actually Wrona is not throw up bad. He's a decent announcer. That accent and style just curl what's left of my hair.
There are other foreign born callers that are much better.
We agree to disagree?

Stillriledup
08-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Oh KAY....That's your opinion...
Sticks finger down throat..
Actually Wrona is not throw up bad. He's a decent announcer. That accent and style just curl what's left of my hair.
There are other foreign born callers that are much better.
We agree to disagree?

Wrona is amazing, you're not correct here.

Hoo roo.

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 02:25 PM

Hoo roo.

He might be amazing at calling first through seventh after the wire but he can not hold Tom's jockstrap when it comes to building a stage and calling the action.

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 02:27 PM
in fact I'll take Emeralds Robert Geller over him any day.

thespaah
08-30-2014, 02:45 PM
"A sunny day with low humidity in the middle of August makes me bitter"

thespaah
08-30-2014, 02:49 PM

Hoo roo.
Hey...we all have OPINIONS.....These can be neither right or wrong.

Stillriledup
08-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Hey...we all have OPINIONS.....These can be neither right or wrong.

You did say he was decent, so i'll give you that.

thaskalos
08-30-2014, 02:54 PM
I acknowledge that I may be a bit of a pessimist. No doubt...my long-term exposure to this game is to blame... :)

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 04:15 PM
I acknowledge that I may be a bit of a pessimist. No doubt...my long-term exposure to this game is to blame... :)

Not at all. I meant that with love Thaskalos. We all have our opinions, hence wonderful debates !!!

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Any thoughts on how his last race call will go???

thaskalos
08-30-2014, 09:53 PM
I was there for Phil Georgeff's last race call:

"...and for the very last time...heeeeere they come spinning out of the tuuurn..."

I predict something similar with Durkin. A heart-felt moment to be sure...

EMD4ME
08-30-2014, 09:58 PM
I was there for Phil Georgeff's last race call:

"...and for the very last time...heeeeere they come spinning out of the tuuurn..."

I predict something similar with Durkin. A heart-felt moment to be sure...

I'm very proud of you :(

Stillriledup
08-31-2014, 02:08 AM
Any thoughts on how his last race call will go???

Hopefully the call is different than just another race. Tom might not want to do that and make it about himself, would be nice if someone could tell him that we all want him to say something in the call.

We have thousands of races a year at all tracks combined, we can always get a vanilla call. There's only one Tom Durkin and there's only one "last race ever" that he will call. Hopefully he doesn't call it like its just another race.

alhattab
08-31-2014, 08:24 AM
Hopefully the call is different than just another race. Tom might not want to do that and make it about himself, would be nice if someone could tell him that we all want him to say something in the call.

We have thousands of races a year at all tracks combined, we can always get a vanilla call. There's only one Tom Durkin and there's only one "last race ever" that he will call. Hopefully he doesn't call it like its just another race.

Curious what others would do if they were in Durkin's shoes. The last race he is calling is the Spinaway, a G1 stake. Then they are having a ceremony. Time between the Spinaway and the 11th race is 49 minutes, so they have built in time for the ceremony at which Durkin will presumably be able to say a few words.

In light of that, if I were him I would call the race like a G1 race should be called. That would be the best way for him to go out. He can say all his "thank yous", etc at the ceremony and during his meet-and-greet on Monday. Maybe they will even have him on Talking Horses to tell a few stories.

TravisVOX
08-31-2014, 10:00 AM
I'd be willing to bet that his last race call is fairly similar to every other grade one race he's called over the years... he is not a look-at-me type of guy, which is part of what makes him great.

lamboguy
08-31-2014, 10:46 AM
I'd be willing to bet that his last race call is fairly similar to every other grade one race he's called over the years... he is not a look-at-me type of guy, which is part of what makes him great.you got that right.

we will all miss him, and hope he stays healthy and enjoys the rest of his life.

FocusWiz
08-31-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't have much to add here, but I grew up listening to Fred Caposella and spent many days at the track listening to Dave Johnson, Chic Anderson, and Marshall Cassidy. Though I was away for much of his career, Tom Durkin is as good as they get. I can understand how some may not be pleased with the musicality or verbosity of his calls or his highlighting of the achievements of a favorite who on or near the lead towards the end of the race or his pronunciation of "oo" words, but to me, these are not negatives nor are they the best way to measure this great announcer.

It is a poor analogy, but you can compare race announcers to the radio deejays of the sixties. Some just called out artist and song titles, but the more dedicated ones shared with the audience where these artists originated, the number of weeks on the chart, and perhaps some insight into the recording itself or the how the song was authored.

Tom is as prepared as any announcer could be prior to calling a race. He apparently studies the stories behind the stories and he knows the horses, jockeys, trainers, and owners beyond their names and numbers. Not knowing which horse will be in front at the end, it is impossible for him to know what esoteric bit of information he will want to inject as they near the finish line, but he seems to be prepared as well for the minor races as he is for the major ones. There were some really close finishes yesterday and he was not only prepared, but demonstrated his tremendous skill in distilling who finished where in a crowd of horses near the finish line. What a class act!

Occasionally, when I view this modern world, watching pundits talk nonsense on television or employees who have trouble finding their way to work on a daily basis or managers who can't think but try to direct others, I wonder what function they would have performed in a different age of humanity (especially thinking of prehistoric times). Tom is lucky to live in an age where his immense talent can be used and we have been the lucky beneficiaries of his time at the NYRA.

Good luck in your future endeavors, Tom. I will definitely miss your calls.

PhantomOnTour
08-31-2014, 03:08 PM
Who will call the last two races today?
Collmus or Imbriale?

EMD4ME
08-31-2014, 03:12 PM
Imbriale I believe. Collmus starts in April 2015

TheEdge07
08-31-2014, 03:16 PM
Imbriale I believe. Collmus starts in April 2015

Imbriale will call the entire Belmont meet?Yikes

ArlJim78
08-31-2014, 03:16 PM
Ditto what FocusWiz said. As the thread title indicates, there will be no replacement for Tom Durkin. We'll all miss that smooth voice and his dramatic flourishes that he would apply to the race at just the right moment. He is truly a vocal artist.

Thank you Tom Durkin.

Some_One
08-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Looking at how hard it's raining, anyone else think NYRA is maybe putting jocks/horses at risk by running this race for the sake of Tom's final call celebration?

tzipi
08-31-2014, 05:52 PM
Looking at how hard it's raining, anyone else think NYRA is maybe putting jocks/horses at risk by running this race for the sake of Tom's final call celebration?

They've run in worse but I hope they all come home safe. :ThmbUp:

horses4courses
08-31-2014, 05:54 PM
I hope he enjoys his retirement as much as we've enjoyed his calls. :ThmbUp:

He should visit Ireland a few times.
I've heard that he likes the occasional pint of Guinness.
It doesn't taste quite as good anywhere else in the world. :)

castaway01
08-31-2014, 05:59 PM

Sigh.

jk3521
08-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Oh, boy ! :faint: Now we get to hear Imbriale the next race after listening to Durkin do his last race :blush:

Starting on Friday I watch the Chiclets with the sound off! :D

tzipi
08-31-2014, 06:01 PM
Condo Commando was....SPLASHTASTIC!!!!

titans1127
08-31-2014, 06:03 PM
I don't think he could have called the end of that race any more perfect. It's as if the rain falling was meant to be.

ArlJim78
08-31-2014, 06:04 PM
and suddenly it's Imbriale, right at Durkin's throat latch!

JustRalph
08-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Watched the last call on the NYRA web page.....kudos to them for having their Web stuff working well......great site. This is what it looked like

PhantomOnTour
08-31-2014, 06:05 PM
So long Tom, and thank you.

thespaah
08-31-2014, 06:07 PM
Well, it's over. The end of an era.
A great announcer. A legend.
Thanks for the memories, Tom.

thespaah
08-31-2014, 06:09 PM
Watched the last call on the NYRA web page.....kudos to them for having their Web stuff working well......great site. This is what it looked like
I had the audio from NYRA.
HRTV showed Tom in a split sceen box calling the Spinaway.
He started cracking up after he called it a "Splashtastic" finish for the winner.....

JustRalph
08-31-2014, 06:12 PM
Just before the race I think he got a little emotional, snapped back to form and was laughing when it was over.

During the race below

TheEdge07
08-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Tom Durkin gets it.

He always made it about the game.

Tom thanks for the memories.

You calling one of my losing photos wasnt all that bad.

Good luck.

ArlJim78
08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Nice touch by the riders giving him a plaque "Your the man"

tzipi
08-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Tom Durkin gets it.

He always made it about the game.

Tom thanks for the memories.

Perfectly put. :ThmbUp:

Wickel
08-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the memorable calls, Tom. I and the entire sport of horse racingwere blessed to have experienced such professional in the announcer's booth. Ciao and good luck on your Italian adventures.

Fingal
08-31-2014, 06:51 PM

And the crowd chanting " Toommyyy Durkin, Toomyyy Durkin ."

fmolf
08-31-2014, 07:13 PM
And the crowd chanting " Toommyyy Durkin, Toomyyy Durkin ."
the man is simply the best!.....his theater training in college prepared him to make his entertaining calls.For me Collmus is the next best his calls are mostly entertaining and i think he will tone it down in n.y....more like he was at monmouth.Remember its entertainment more than anything else.I really enjoyed Mirahmadi's calls at turf paradise when he injects other voices Dangerfield,....he did Wrona...he did Kreyboschand Denman...its funny i like being entertained like that.

burnsy
08-31-2014, 08:38 PM
There's cause for "Concern"...............Tom Durkin has left the building.

therussmeister
08-31-2014, 08:50 PM
I didn't see the riders giving him the plaque. If the phrase you put in quotations was engraved on the plaque, I hope they spelled it right.

dnlgfnk
08-31-2014, 09:30 PM
I heard his first call at Cahokia Downs, filling for John Scully..."and now...they're all in"...somewhat effeminately--the crowd laughed...and I heard his last call via NYRA's website. In between, greatness.

ArlJim78
08-31-2014, 09:45 PM
I didn't see the riders giving him the plaque. If the phrase you put in quotations was engraved on the plaque, I hope they spelled it right.
It was actually a :1: saddlecloth signed by all the riders and presented to Durkin by Johnny V. It looked like it was framed behind glass. Unfortunately someone did write on it in big letters "Your the man"

thaskalos
08-31-2014, 10:01 PM
It was actually a :1: saddlecloth signed by all the riders and presented to Durkin by Johnny V. It looked like it was framed behind glass. Unfortunately someone did write on it in big letters "Your the man"

"Unfortunately" is right... :ThmbDown:

devilsbag
08-31-2014, 10:05 PM

I'm never sure if it's "pinhead" or "pin head."

Tom
08-31-2014, 11:39 PM
pin-head.

TravisVOX
08-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Joe Drape with a fantastic piece on Tom Durkin's retirement. The story includes a video of him calling the Belmont Stakes. If you do watch it, make sure you watch it till the end...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/01/sports/and-hes-off-a-track-legend-calls-it-a-career.html

Tom
08-31-2014, 11:53 PM

Yes, but there hearts were in the right place.

ArlJim78
09-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Yes, but there hearts were in the right place.
I never implied otherwise.

thaskalos
09-01-2014, 12:22 AM
I never implied otherwise.

I think Tom was making a little spelling joke there... :)

ArlJim78
09-01-2014, 12:43 AM
I think Tom was making a little spelling joke there... :)
Oh your right, I missed that. Tom is always the clever one.

Stillriledup
09-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Great opportunity missed by Johnny I.

gheuks
09-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Great job by John I calling Super Saturday.. as always.

Alwaysonpoint36
08-30-2015, 11:24 AM
not gonna lie, i didn't agree initially with Larry getting the nod over Johnny I. I felt Larry lacked personality and any excitement seemed forced. However his Met Mile, Whitney and Travers calls have transformed me into a fan. His daily race calling seems to have slightly more personality compared to before (Pink Freud Live, she don't need no education!!!) . He showed raw emotion for the Travers, you can hear the desperation in his voice when Frosted overtook Pharoah for a spilt second and when Pharoah fought back. The crack in his voice when Keen Ice came up on Pharoah was powerful. Please continue to 'let your hair down'. Phenomenal race calling Larry, you've won me over this summer. :cool::cool::cool:

dilanesp
08-30-2015, 04:10 PM
not gonna lie, i didn't agree initially with Larry getting the nod over Johnny I. I felt Larry lacked personality and any excitement seemed forced. However his Met Mile, Whitney and Travers calls have transformed me into a fan. His daily race calling seems to have slightly more personality compared to before (Pink Freud Live, she don't need no education!!!) . He showed raw emotion for the Travers, you can hear the desperation in his voice when Frosted overtook Pharoah for a spilt second and when Pharoah fought back. The crack in his voice when Keen Ice came up on Pharoah was powerful. Please continue to 'let your hair down'. Phenomenal race calling Larry, you've won me over this summer. :cool::cool::cool:

His Travers call was great. He DIDN'T cry, unlike Durkin's unprofessional 2004 Belmont call. It was very exciting and he gave Keen Ice his due.

He's much better than Durkin.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2015, 04:20 PM
His Travers call was great. He DIDN'T cry, unlike Durkin's unprofessional 2004 Belmont call. It was very exciting and he gave Keen Ice his due.

He's much better than Durkin.Now you've just made me vomit all over my keyboard.

I don't want to bash Collmus, because he is a fine announcer, but if you think Collmus in his prime (where he is now) is better than Durkin was in his prime, you're off your rocker.

PaceAdvantage
08-30-2015, 04:22 PM
His Travers call was great. He DIDN'T cry, unlike Durkin's unprofessional 2004 Belmont call.And unlike your California boy Denman did when "Zenyotter" lost to Blame...

Thomas Roulston
08-31-2015, 08:46 AM
I grew up with Marshall Cassidy, and he's still my favorite. I can actually do an awesome impression of MC - just like I can do one of Howard Cosell saying "Oh-jay Simpson, numbah thirty-two - The Juice."

RacingFan1992
08-31-2015, 08:57 AM
Not gonna lie, Dave Johnson with that rolling thunder of a stretch call is my favorite race caller. The 1988 Belmont gave me chills hearing him compare Risen Star to Secretariat.

v j stauffer
08-31-2015, 12:11 PM

He's much better than Durkin.

I've watched and listened to almost every race Larry has called at Saratoga this season.

He has been phenomenal. Attention to detail, preparation, professionalism. It's been a pleasure to hear.

Another thing to consider is the challenge of the announcers booth at Saratoga. Extremely difficult for a myriad of reasons.

IMO Larry is the best currently working in North America.

Also IMO to say he's better than Tom Durkin suggests you've taken leave of your senses.

Tom Durkin is the greatest that ever lived. If there were another million race callers he'd still tower above us all.