PDA

View Full Version : Will Los Alamitos race for Chrome be enough preparation for BC Classic?

letswastemoney
07-09-2014, 12:31 AM
I visited Chrome today. He looks fantastic.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10343491_819171198102670_7529823627152753921_n.jpg

But, here is my topic. Los Alamitos plans to write a one mile race on September 20 for Chrome.

Should they go to the Awesome Again Stakes at Santa Anita instead? Or is the Los Alamitos race sufficient preparation?

Thebigguy
07-09-2014, 12:49 AM
Did you post this pic @homeless handicapper? I guess I know you now.
I dont think its enough, if he only runs there and then the Classic. Especially if Lea comes back and Palace Malice holds his form.

letswastemoney
07-09-2014, 12:56 AM
I dont think its enough, if he only runs there and then the Classic. Especially if Lea comes back and Palace Malice holds his form.
Yep, I posted one of them over there. I still prefer this place or DT for handicapping talk, but HH and Track Talk "The Racetrackers" are the ones I go to on Facebook.

Thebigguy
07-09-2014, 01:01 AM
Yep, I posted one of them over there. I still prefer this place or DT for handicapping talk, but HH and Track Talk "The Racetrackers" are the ones I go to on Facebook.

Great pics.

Stillriledup
07-09-2014, 04:35 AM

CC is very good, but Palice Malice is a different level, CC needs to find the ability to run in the near 115-120 Beyer range to beat PM, its possible, but i have a hard time seeing it.

plainolebill
07-09-2014, 04:37 AM

What's DT?

Thebigguy
07-09-2014, 04:43 AM
What's DT?

derbytrail.com
The place where legends post.

Thebigguy
07-09-2014, 04:44 AM
CC is very good, but Palice Malice is a different level, CC needs to find the ability to run in the near 115-120 Beyer range to beat PM, its possible, but i have a hard time seeing it.

I agree. MMM and Lea are both capable of firing big races, if they can get healthy. Cross Traffic is working well lately also. I still think Wicked Strong will be a late bloomer and turn out to be very good.

Stillriledup
07-09-2014, 04:56 AM
I agree. MMM and Lea are both capable of firing big races, if they can get healthy. Cross Traffic is working well lately also. I still think Wicked Strong will be a late bloomer and turn out to be very good.

CT is an incredible horse at full power. I agree with you on Wicked Strong too, he has some nice upside.

andtheyreoff
07-09-2014, 08:16 AM
I believe Uncle Mo's people tried out that strategy of "we're so much better than everyone else, we don't need an actual prep race" before the Kentucky Derby, and look where that got them.

The Awesome Again is a much better option. Even if an appearance fee by LA evens out the purse, it's still a longer distance, better competition (both of which prepare him better for the Classic), and it's yet another G1 win for his stud career. Besides, it's more sporting to run him at SA, as opposed to some Mickey Mouse race at LA.

Mineshaft
07-09-2014, 09:23 AM
He needs at least 2 prep races before the Breeders Cup and then i dont think hes good enough to beat older horses.

Rex Phinney
07-09-2014, 01:05 PM
What they are laying out for him seems a lot more like a victory lap than any actual prep racing.

An appearance on Pacific Classic day but no race and running at Los Al???

That's no way to prep for a Breeders Cup Classic that race is going to be stacked with talent IMO. Everything from top class horses like Palace Malice to talented if inconsistent horses looking for that one good day like Game on Dude.

Throw in the possibility of horses like Tonalist and Shared Belief who got lots of rest the first half of the year and it's clear the winner is going to need his "A" game.

I think we saw Chrome's "A" game in May, and the classic isn't run in May.