PDA

View Full Version : Gatewood (Mtn, Race 5, July 8) by about 100 lengths.

Stillriledup
07-08-2014, 08:37 PM
This has to be the greatest performance in the history of thoroughbred racing by a 5k claimer.

Onward and upward.

tanner12oz
07-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Speed and fade last out finishing dead last

Peter berry said on twitter the clearest winner in 25,000 races he's called...20 plus lengths and could have been 40

Stillriledup
07-08-2014, 09:46 PM
It was incredible, it was essentially a 40 length win, you rarely see that at any track, ever.

Stillriledup
07-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Speed and fade last out finishing dead last

Peter berry said on twitter the clearest winner in 25,000 races he's called...20 plus lengths and could have been 40

PB on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/peterberry57

Some_One
07-09-2014, 01:04 AM
So buzzer or drugs?

Stillriledup
07-09-2014, 04:32 AM
So buzzer or drugs?

Maybe he's just a pretty good horse and the light went on. Maybe it was mental and the horse always had the talent and was finally able to show it. He's by Tiz Wonderful who is a son of Tiznow who was a very freaky talented horse, but a head case at times, maybe this horse just decided tonight was the night to freak out, maybe he was always this good and put it all together.

tanner12oz
07-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Anyone pick him up for the tag?

Peter Berry
07-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Anyone pick him up for the tag?
No, he wasn't claimed.

WoxFan
07-09-2014, 12:03 PM
I loved the comment "Gatewood, looking like Germany vs Brazil today.."

mountainman
07-09-2014, 05:30 PM
it was essentially a 40 length win,

No. It wasn't. With all respect, sir, that's complete and utter nonsense.

Stillriledup
07-09-2014, 06:16 PM
No. It wasn't. With all respect, sir, that's complete and utter nonsense.

Hmmmm, i clocked him at 40 to the good...maybe my clock is broken. :D

mountainman
07-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Hmmmm, i clocked him at 40 to the good...maybe my clock is broken. :D

Here's a thought on how Gatewood might have doubled that 21 L margin: instead of 11 and change to the six-call..he could have hit it in 1:07 (and still, of course, duplicated his actual come-home fraction)..or, how about this? Since there was soooooo much left in the tank late, he could have run the last 70 yards in 4/5 of a second (instead of his actual 4.91). Or how about a first-half in 42?? Or opening quarter in 19 and change? Since the horse could have run that much faster, I'll remember to add 40 points to whatever beyer he is assigned..and in that manner get a "true" gauge of his ability.

Here is a novel thought for you: Had Gatewood been urged, or allowed, to set faster splits, his final time would have been SLOWER, not quicker. And reserve energy through the stretch is always less that it appears when horses romp to wide-margin wins. Some even LIKE running against the bit, or under a snug hold. When a horse is indeed full of run, such restraint only ENCOURAGES them to go faster. Rerun Tuesday's race, throw gatewood's head away at about the 3/16 pole, let the jock start beating him, and see how fast all that reserve energy and burning desire evaporate.

A front-running t-bred will NEVER run faster than when it is far in front and appears to be coasting. They are mentally fragile creatures that thrive on confidence and require rationing.

Stillriledup
07-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Here's a thought on how Gatewood might have doubled that 21 L margin: instead of 11 and change to the six-call..he could have hit it in 1:07 (and still, of course, duplicated his actual come-home fraction)..or, how about this? Since there was soooooo much left in the tank late, he could have run the last 70 yards in 4/5 of a second (instead of his actual 4.91). Or how about a first-half in 42?? Or opening quarter in 19 and change? Since the horse could have run that much faster, I'll remember to add 40 points to whatever beyer he is assigned..and in that manner get a "true" gauge of his ability.

Here is a novel thought for you: Had Gatewood been urged, or allowed, to set faster splits, his final time would have been SLOWER, not quicker. And reserve energy through the stretch is always less that it appears when horses romp to wide-margin wins. Some even LIKE running against the bit, or under a snug hold. When a horse is indeed full of run, such restraint only ENCOURAGES them to go faster. Rerun Tuesday's race, throw gatewood's head away at about the 3/16 pole, let the jock start beating him, and see how fast all that reserve energy and burning desire evaporate.

A front-running t-bred will NEVER run faster than when it is far in front and appears to be coasting. They are mentally fragile creatures that thrive on confidence and require rationing.

PB said he could have won by a lot more. He also said "a mile in front". Last i checked, a mile was 5,280 feet which is considerably longer than 40 lengths.

Don't feel bad, you should be tickled that a horse this good is racing at Mountaineer, he's a star and there are no two ways about it. ;)

Overlay
07-10-2014, 06:05 PM
The chart put him ahead by 26 at the stretch call.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/MNR070814USA.pdf

Stillriledup
07-10-2014, 06:21 PM
The chart put him ahead by 26 at the stretch call.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/MNR070814USA.pdf

He was absolutely strangled the entire lane, even if the guy just hand rode him, even if it was a mild hand ride with no whip and he kept this guy on his task, he would have won by close to 40.

He's not Secretariat, but he's pretty close. :D

Oh, maybe not....but, you stlll rarely see margins of victory this large with horses just on idle the entire stretch.

mountainman
07-10-2014, 06:23 PM
he's a star and there are no two ways about it. ;)

You're kidding, right? I've seen some sharp posts from you, so you can't possibly be serious.

Dude, I'm proud that warriors like Stop Hunting, Samurai Prince, John's Burger, Russell Road, and Miracle in May compete here. And of our all-stakes cards on wv derby day. And that we got Mine that Bird. And of Fabulous Strike's supernatural beyers. And I'm amazed that Flip Flop and Ramblin Mike still use signature styles to pad unreal win-totals.

But, please, let's be clear here..You want me to speak in tongues about some chronic quitter that bullied a bad field of non-life nickels????

Again, you CAN'T be serious.

Stillriledup
07-10-2014, 06:46 PM
You're kidding, right? I've seen some sharp posts from you, so you can't possibly be serious.

Dude, I'm proud that warriors like Stop Hunting, Samurai Prince, John's Burger, Russell Road, and Miracle in May compete here. And of our all-stakes cards on wv derby day. And that we got Mine that Bird. And of Fabulous Strike's supernatural beyers. And I'm amazed that Flip Flop and Ramblin Mike still use signature styles to pad unreal win-totals.

But, please, let's be clear here..You want me to speak in tongues about some chronic quitter that bullied a bad field of non-life nickels????

Again, you CAN'T be serious.

First of all, you can't ever post the words "you cant be serious" without me posting a link of THIS video. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY

As far as him being a "chronic quitter" all i know is he looked like a star to me, much more worthy than a 5k claimer, be interesting to see where he shows up next.

Lastly, when he runs again, i'd appreciate you talking about the "clown" on the message board who thought he would have won by 40 had he been urged, i'll be waiting to hear your commentary next time this guy runs. :D

mountainman
07-10-2014, 07:16 PM
First of all, you can't ever post the words "you cant be serious" without me posting a link of THIS video. :D

As far as him being a "chronic quitter" all i know is he looked like a star to me, much more worthy than a 5k claimer, be interesting to see where he shows up next.

Lastly, when he runs again, i'd appreciate you talking about the "clown" on the message board who thought he would have won by 40 had he been urged, i'll be waiting to hear your commentary next time this guy runs. :D

lol....I still like you. And I surrender. Gatewood is the greatest of all time. And should he win back, especially on the raise, it will prove he could have won by 75 lengths on Tuesday. Happy now?

Stillriledup
07-10-2014, 07:28 PM
lol....I still like you. And I surrender. Gatewood is the greatest of all time. And should he win back, especially on the raise, it will prove he could have won by 75 lengths on Tuesday. Happy now?

Yes, im happy, i like you too, i'm a fan and appreciate all your hard work that you share with us on the broadcast.

He seems like a finicky horse, he could get pressed in a higher class and quit like he's done in the past, but for one shining moment, he was all by himself, moving like a tremendous machine and they can't ever take that away from him. :D

Maximillion
07-10-2014, 08:34 PM
For me,the ones that can win easily, by a measured length or two are the ones that can run much faster when asked....not the romping winners.

Peter Berry
07-10-2014, 11:16 PM
One thing that cannot be denied: The Mountaineer Gatewood is now almost as famous as the European Gatewood, a Royal Ascot winner.

For the record, the local Gatewood is no Rapid Redux; $10,000 might be his level. I had his margin reduced by about five lengths in the last furlong while being strangled. Give him back that five, and add another five were he just allowed to run (making the "magical" 31) and then the unknown if he'd been asked and it easily could have been 40, such was his lack of opposition. To me, he looked like a horse who really wanted to sprint to the wire.

Having said that, he figures to be a huge underlay next start if placed sensibly. He's probably just a decent horse who struck a really bad field.

mountainman
07-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Gatewood's immediate future is more a function of pace than class. One mercurial performance hardly lends itself to precise classification.

Peter Berry
07-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Gatewood's immediate future is more a function of pace than class. One mercurial performance hardly lends itself to precise classification.
I wouldn't rate it a mercurial performance, more a dominant performance against very slow opposition. But he DID become an instant Mountaineer legend and his next race will draw solid ratings.

mountainman
07-10-2014, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't rate it a mercurial performance, more a dominant performance against very slow opposition. But he DID become an instant Mountaineer legend and his next race will draw solid ratings.
Slow opposition doesn't engender that kind of performance. Or we'd see such margins everyday. The horse ran fast. But to arbitrarily assign him 20 more lengths is a mistake for more reasons than I can address here.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:06 AM
He probably could have won by 50.

Stillriledup
07-11-2014, 12:16 AM
He probably could have won by 50.
:lol:

He's a legend, i'm helping the "Steam" on his tale. If you or Mark hurry, you can secure the book or movie rights!!!

mountainman
07-11-2014, 12:23 AM
I had his margin reduced by about five lengths in the last furlong while being strangled. Give him back that five, and add another five were he just allowed to run (making the "magical" 31) and then the unknown if he'd been asked and it easily could have been 40

So the horse could have reached the stretch call at LEAST 9 lengths faster and STILL had that mythical 10 lengths in reserve for the drive? Rock on, Pete. And have a good night.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Yes. No doubt at all in my mind.

This truly was a performance that had to be seen in the flesh, not on a monitor, to fully appreciate what was happening. In this rare instance, the boundaries of time and pace and class were meaningless. You had to see the whole picture as it unfolded. This could not be put into a box. This was a horse possessed.

davew
07-11-2014, 12:33 AM

I am going to award a point against you mr Stillriledup

What did the Beyer group give him?

mountainman do you really feel that Gatewood had the perfect conditions/ride for the best race of his career and will never be close to this effort again?

Stillriledup
07-11-2014, 01:09 AM
I am going to award a point against you mr Stillriledup

What did the Beyer group give him?

mountainman do you really feel that Gatewood had the perfect conditions/ride for the best race of his career and will never be close to this effort again?

It doesn't matter what beyer thinks, all that matters is what the person who saw the race thinks. ;)

mountainman
07-11-2014, 01:11 AM
In this rare instance, the boundaries of time and pace and class were meaningless.

There can be no response to a statement like this. Nor further debate from my end.

Stillriledup
07-11-2014, 01:23 AM
There can be no response to a statement like this. Nor further debate from my end.
:D

This horse was streaking around the track, running like a demon, he was opening up at will and would have kept pouring it on if the jock kept shoving, he wasn't slowing down at all, if this jocks's life depended on him winning by 40, it would have been awful close.

mountainman
07-11-2014, 01:32 AM
:D

This horse was streaking around the track, running like a demon, he was opening up at will and would have kept pouring it on if the jock kept shoving, he wasn't slowing down at all, if this jocks's life depended on him winning by 40, it would have been awful close.

So now we've invoked demons, possession, and potential loss of life, redefined t-bred performance, and pretty much suspended the laws of time and space. Do you guys really want your names on this stuff?

Stillriledup
07-11-2014, 01:38 AM
So now we've invoked demons, possession, and potential loss of life, redefined t-bred performance, and pretty much suspended the laws of time and space. Do you guys really want your names on this insanity?

The horse just freaked plain and simple. This guy was running like the devil was chasing him, he would have just kept widening if the jock didnt ease him up, who knows what would have happened had he kept rolling.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 01:46 AM
So now we've invoked demons, possession, and potential loss of life, redefined t-bred performance, and pretty much suspended the laws of time and space. Do you guys really want your names on this stuff?
This was akin to a UFO sighting: Some people will believe what they saw, others won't. And the sceptics will be out in force.

Not everything fits neatly into a box. Life would be awfully dull if it did.

If Gatewood had run a second faster to the turn his overmatched rivals would have been spent earlier. His final time might have been slower but his margin of victory greater.

I know what I saw. I saw a UFO.

mountainman
07-11-2014, 02:23 AM
This was akin to a UFO sighting: Some people will believe what they saw, others won't. And the sceptics will be out in force.

Not everything fits neatly into a box. Life would be awfully dull if it did.

If Gatewood had run a second faster to the turn his overmatched rivals would have been spent earlier. His final time might have been slower but his margin of victory greater. I know what I saw.

And now ufo's and the nature of life? What's next, the holy spirit? This has nothing to do with belief or skepticism. You talk like you witnessed a miracle (but DENY it was a mercurial performance??). This is between those who understand pace, time, running style, and the nature of wide-margin wins, and those who do not.

And now that any notion of Gatewood running 4 seconds faster has been logically refuted, the new theory is that his rivals would have run 20 lengths slower????? Do you know how far 20 lengths is? How astoundingly significant that spacing is in a t-bred race??? Let's call it the difference between Game on Dude and 10k claimers.

In fact, you stated that this 21- length winner could have scored by FIFTY. For the record, that's the same as attributing almost 60 additional beyer points to whatever number the horse is assigned. And sixty beyer points is an entire (rather snappy) horserace in itself at the level Gatewood scored at.

Again, you're standing by these assertions????? With your real name next to them??? Right here on the record. And that's after demons, possession, and ufo's have been invoked on your side of the argument.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 02:39 AM
Yes.

mountainman
07-11-2014, 02:43 AM
Yes.

Get some sleep, dude. I'm about to drift off. We'll discontinue this tomorrow.

thaskalos
07-11-2014, 02:52 AM
I have great respect and admiration for both of you gentlemen...so I'll be diplomatic.

If roused...Gatewood could have won by 35.5 lengths. :)

Stillriledup
07-11-2014, 03:06 AM
And now ufo's and the nature of life? What's next, the holy spirit? This has nothing to do with belief or skepticism. You talk like you witnessed a miracle (but DENY it was a mercurial performance??). This is between those who understand pace, time, running style, and the nature of wide-margin wins, and those who do not.

And now that any notion of Gatewood running 4 seconds faster has been logically refuted, the new theory is that his rivals would have run 20 lengths slower????? Do you know how far 20 lengths is? How astoundingly significant that spacing is in a t-bred race??? Let's call it the difference between Game on Dude and 10k claimers.

In fact, you stated that this 21- length winner could have scored by FIFTY. For the record, that's the same as attributing almost 60 additional beyer points to whatever number the horse is assigned. And sixty beyer points is an entire (rather snappy) horserace in itself at the level Gatewood scored at.

Again, you're standing by these assertions????? With your real name next to them??? Right here on the record. And that's after demons, possession, and ufo's have been invoked on your side of the argument.

This is why this is the greatest game on earth. Two people can watch the same thing and come up with completely different opinions.

Stillriledup
07-11-2014, 03:07 AM
Gatewood Beyer: 80

appistappis
07-11-2014, 04:01 AM
come on boys, its the mountain. He will probably have $39,000 to show on him in the next race and bobble and run 4th.

ArlJim78
07-11-2014, 09:22 AM
I'm convinced this is the trial run of what could become a great comedy duo.

cj
07-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Horse was assigned an 82 TimeformUS speed figure, only the third best of his career. The other horses didn't do much running, and he was the best horse coming in anyway.

tanner12oz
07-11-2014, 10:02 AM
anyone have the video?

mountainman
07-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Gatewood Beyer: 80

So after all the ridiculous hyperbole, the big boy actually ran about 3 lengths faster than a good field of 10 claimers. And you guys are on record that the horse could have won by 50, which translates to a bsf of about 136, almost 20 points north of Game on Dude's season topping 117, and (I'm pretty sure) surpassing Groovy's standard of 133.

So by virtue of demonic possession and little green men, Gatewood was deprived by his thrill-killing rider of the fastest performance since the advent of mass-circulated speed numbers.

Congratulations boys. You've annointed him the fastest horse in modern history.

mountainman
07-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Horse was assigned an 82 TimeformUS speed figure, only the third best of his career. The other horses didn't do much running, and he was the best horse coming in anyway.

Had he won by 50, as some project he could have, what timeform figure would gatewood have been assigned? And where would that place him in historical context?

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 10:15 AM
Had he won by 50, as some project he could have, what timeform figure would gatewood have been assigned? And where would that place him in historical context?
What do you think he would have won by had the rider not strangled him in the stretch?

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Running faster doesn't equate with winning by more. If he'd run faster early and had a slower final time there's every chance his margin of victory would have been greater because his overmatched rivals would have been toast earlier.

mountainman
07-11-2014, 10:21 AM
What do you think he would have won by had the rider not strangled him in the stretch?

That's complicated, Pete. Most huge wins are completely misconstrued. I posted at length earlier on this thread about my views on "geared down" performances and the factors most observers aren't aware of or don't consider. Let me watch the replay and then give my estimate. ok?

mountainman
07-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Running faster doesn't equate with winning by more. If he'd run faster early and had a slower final time there's every chance his margin of victory would have been greater because his overmatched rivals would have been toast earlier.

You can't find an extra 29 lengths in this highly debatable theory.

Peter Berry
07-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Clearly you have never been on the receiving end of erotic asphyxiation. It costs me 20 lengths every time.

mountainman
07-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Clearly you have never been on the receiving end of erotic asphyxiation. It costs me 20 lengths every time.

No, lol. But I've got my own proclivities. And certain riders would LOVE to see me strangled. Work to do, I'm out.

Stillriledup
07-11-2014, 05:38 PM
That's complicated, Pete. Most huge wins are completely misconstrued. I posted at length earlier on this thread about my views on "geared down" performances and the factors most observers aren't aware of or don't consider. Let me watch the replay and then give my estimate. ok?

But not all "geared downs" are the same. This was a "special circumstance".

If any horse can freak its a horse by a Tiznow stallion, sometimes the light goes on and you get a perfect storm. I know it seems bizarre that this could have happened and its extremely hard to wrap our heads around it, but once in a million, something bizarre can happen at the racetrack.

mountainman
07-11-2014, 07:54 PM
But not all "geared downs" are the same. This was a "special circumstance".

If any horse can freak its a horse by a Tiznow stallion, sometimes the light goes on and you get a perfect storm. I know it seems bizarre that this could have happened and its extremely hard to wrap our heads around it, but once in a million, something bizarre can happen at the racetrack.

Oh, I can wrap my head around an 80 bsf just fine. Not a problem.

Stillriledup
07-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Another horse won last night by 22.5 lengths.

If 20 length winners are the "norm" why can't we have an outlier win by 40?

Answer? We can. :D

andtheyreoff
07-22-2014, 08:48 PM
The greatest horse who ever lived returns in the fourth at Indiana Downs on Friday night. Similar level, same distance.

tanner12oz
07-29-2014, 07:06 PM
What happened?

brivolta
07-29-2014, 07:13 PM
What happened?
Beaten by 7 lengths as the 1/2 chalk

dilanesp
07-29-2014, 07:36 PM
So buzzer or drugs?

The jockey was using a tremendous machine!

Stillriledup
08-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Mark shouting out this thread on the air. Check it out folks :D

Longshot6977
08-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Well, Gatewood was in the Mountain's 6th tonite. He didn't win by 100 lengths again; this time it was about 18 lengths EASILY with seemingly no effort at all. He took about $40,000 in the show pool during the last flash.

Stillriledup
08-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Great call by Peter, very nice!! :D

zico20
08-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Gatewood is running in the second at Indiana on Saturday in a starter allowance. 6 day turn around.

Stillriledup
08-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Gatewood is running in the second at Indiana on Saturday in a starter allowance. 6 day turn around.

Great bet against. Stupid entry.

zico20
08-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Gatewood ran 2nd today. Lost by a length at 3-5. Only a five horse field with a couple of scratches.

Stillriledup
08-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Gatewood ran 2nd today. Lost by a length at 3-5. Only a five horse field with a couple of scratches.

The horse owns mountaineer, makes no sense to be running the horse every 4 hours at a track not called mountaineer.