PDA

View Full Version : a question for the figure makers here

lamboguy
07-08-2014, 02:59 PM
does anyone take into consideration the weight compensation in basing the final number?

Cratos
07-08-2014, 03:05 PM
does anyone take into consideration the weight compensation in basing the final number?

I am not sure I understand your question; please elaborate

lamboguy
07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
some horses are assigned different weights in a race. for instance in 3 year old and up races, the 3 year old's always carry less weight than the older horses. often times 4 pounds. so my question is simple, does the final number that the figure maker puts on the horse reflect the difference in weight at all?

Magister Ludi
07-08-2014, 03:26 PM

D_______delta(w)/delta(t)
(f)______(kg/s)

5_______13.61
6_______10.87
7________9.04
8________7.74
10_______6.03
12_______4.94

clemkadiddle
07-08-2014, 09:00 PM
No...I find that it is worthless and not worth the effort

cj
07-08-2014, 11:17 PM

Yes.

cj
07-08-2014, 11:18 PM
No...I find that it is worthless and not worth the effort

Worthless can be debated, but not worth the effort? If you are using any kind of computer to assist there is no effort required.

Billnewman
07-09-2014, 01:35 AM
If the front runner in a 9f race was carrying 133lbs and his challengers were carrying 110lbs it would matter. But the 3 to 5 lbs difference for allowances doesn't matter. Especially in a sprint. What if the horse gained 50lbs between races. If you had the weight every horse on race day and no one else did that would be helpful.

SpotPlays
07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
The Sheets guys do.

classhandicapper
07-10-2014, 03:07 PM
When I look at figures I know I am dealing with approximations of pace, final time, and the relationship between the two. Then I am trying to incorporate very subjective judgments about ground loss, bias, quality of competition, and other component of trip on top of it to have an overall assessment.

There is a lot of room for small and even large error there.

So to me, a couple of pounds either way is a rounding error at best. I'll only notice huge weight shifts.

If you are the point where a few pounds matters, IMO you should already just be looking at the odds.

Silver florin
07-10-2014, 11:02 PM
The Ragozin Sheets, best figures by far do.

Cratos
07-11-2014, 04:15 PM

Now that I understand your question, using just the weight toted by the horse would not be sufficient; you would need the weight toted by the horse plus its body weight.

cj
07-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Now that I understand your question, using just the weight toted by the horse would not be sufficient; you would need the weight toted by the horse plus its body weight.

This is the equivalent of saying since we don't know the exact makeup and moisture content of the track, we can't use the time of the race.

Cratos
07-11-2014, 05:20 PM
This is the equivalent of saying since we don't know the exact makeup and moisture content of the track, we can't use the time of the race.

No it is not, your analogy is not even close. There has many studies done on this issue (search the Internet) and they all come to same conclusion, total weight of a horse and its load is what needed to calculate its energy and stamina over a distance with respect to speed. In other words, the science of physics doesn’t lie.

cj
07-11-2014, 06:04 PM
No it is not, your analogy is not even close. There has many studies done on this issue (search the Internet) and they all come to same conclusion, total weight of a horse and its load is what needed to calculate its energy and stamina over a distance with respect to speed. In other words, the science of physics doesn’t lie.

I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying if you don't have all the data, it doesn't mean you can't use pieces of it to your benefit.