PDA

View Full Version : Why not tell the public?

RaceTrackDaddy
07-08-2014, 01:18 PM
During my watching the first race at the Meadows today I noticed a large pile of track material on the outer reaches of the turns at the base of the fence as if it was winter and they scrapped the track of snow and ice.

It appears that the cushion that was on the track (and the dead front end bias of late) will be gone today as they have the track groomed for early speed.

If wagering there, one must account for the track bias.

Why not tell the public the size of the cushion as if it was an equipment change as it does effect the racing product?

The two year old colt pacers take center stage today with the Albatross (five divisions). That may be the reason the cushion was adjusted.

LottaKash
07-08-2014, 02:22 PM
late) will be gone today as they have the track groomed for early speed.

Why not tell the public the size of the cushion as if it was an equipment change as it does effect the racing product?

Thanks for the head's up RTD....I will consider it in my extrapolations..

And Yes, I agree about posting ongoing and pertinent track grooming operations....(fat chance tho :D )

RaceTrackDaddy
07-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the head's up RTD....I will consider it in my extrapolations..

And Yes, I agree about posting ongoing and pertinent track grooming operations....(fat chance tho :D )

Now add the heavy rain and wind into the equation. This is race 7 and only two horses came out for the post parade. The other eight just came on to the track (about two minutes after the call to post). Post time is just a suggestion anymore anyway.

Without the cushion, this surface will become like cement and those horses that are a little bit hurt will be not at their best.

Pack up the wagering wallet and wait for another day.

Stillriledup
07-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Now add the heavy rain and wind into the equation. This is race 7 and only two horses came out for the post parade. The other eight just came on to the track (about two minutes after the call to post). Post time is just a suggestion anymore anyway.

Without the cushion, this surface will become like cement and those horses that are a little bit hurt will be not at their best.

No doubt. Post time's mean nothing nowadays, tracks rarely use them to actually start the race.

LottaKash
07-08-2014, 02:57 PM

Especially for the very young ones...

Good to fight another day...

Sea Biscuit
07-08-2014, 03:07 PM
During my watching the first race at the Meadows today I noticed a large pile of track material on the outer reaches of the turns at the base of the fence as if it was winter and they scrapped the track of snow and ice.

It appears that the cushion that was on the track (and the dead front end bias of late) will be gone today as they have the track groomed for early speed.

The two year old colt pacers take center stage today with the Albatross (five divisions). That may be the reason the cushion was adjusted.

That applies to not just The Meadows but to any track in NA.

On June 7 at Mohawk one week before the NA cup in the eliminations the track bias against the front enders raised its ugly head and every front runner was dying at the 7/8 pole. Rank favorites like Nat a Virgin ($0.85), Precocious Beauty ($0.95), JK Endofanera ($0.55), Hes Watching ($0.65), Somwherovrarainbow ($.0.30) all succumbed on the front end trying to overcome the track bias that night.

One week later on June 14 Na Cup nite, The track behaved just the opposite and of the 14 races carded that night, 13 went to the front runners.

I also agree with you RTD that the public should be informed of any changes made to the track by the maintenance crew even though I doubt we will ever see such changes being announced during my lifetime.

RaceTrackDaddy
07-08-2014, 03:11 PM
That applies to not just The Meadows but to any track in NA.

On June 7 at Mohawk one week before the NA cup in the eliminations the track bias against the front enders raised its ugly head and every front runner was dying at the 7/8 pole. Rank favorites like Nat a Virgin ($0.85), Precocious Beauty ($0.95), JK Endofanera ($0.55), Hes Watching ($0.65), Somwherovrarainbow ($.0.30) all succumbed on the front end trying to overcome the track bias that night.

One week later on June 14 Na Cup nite, The track behaved just the opposite and of the 14 races carded that night, 13 went to the front runners.

I also agree with you RTD that the public should be informed of any changes made to the track by the maintenance crew even though I doubt we will ever see such changes being announced during my lifetime.

Boy don't I remember that difference of one week at Mohawk, from the elims with closing bias to the final with speed bias...

By the way, since the rain, the two races run were won by front enders and the favorites in both races broke stride. One at the start and the stake race trying to go first over from 4th before the half. That one had a hard time grabbing the track. One needs barium on the shoes to race at the Meadows in the slop. Or at least that is what I have been told.

senortout
07-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Perhaps those piles consist of new materials to be added to the surface in the near future, and had not been scraped off? This happens too sometimes you know.

RaceTrackDaddy
07-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Perhaps those piles consist of new materials to be added to the surface in the near future, and had not been scraped off? This happens too sometimes you know.
I personally have never seen it done that way. The appearance of the material appeared as if it were scrapped after a snow fall, a consistent pile that circles the outer reaches of the track laying up against the bottom of the fence that encircles the racing oval. I have only seen material dropped on the track via a spreader similar to those trucks that spread the salt on the roads in winter. Seem track is cared for like our roads in winter by the street department.