PDA

View Full Version : equisim

BIG HIT
01-02-2002, 11:22 AM
Hi guy can anybody have a opinion on this program.And any input on the best way they have found to use it.They say it give turn time but i could not find it.

pasco
01-02-2002, 11:41 AM
you can find the turn time of the race or the splits the horse

ran.Go to the entries and click on view and it lists the options

for horses fractions.If you uncheck that you can see the race

splits.Good luck pasco:)

Myhorse1_X
01-05-2002, 12:23 PM
I downloaded the program to look at it and the results. For an inexpensive program it does hit some horses, but for the three days of results, it does have a tendency to hit lower priced horses. The first day I tried it, it hit 2 straight trifecta's but none paid over $100.
I didn't look into the database part of the program, but I think my results would have improved if I had used the database for prior comparisons.

MyHorse1

Myhorse1_X
01-06-2002, 04:24 PM
I have been playing around with the Equisim program and all the information you want is on one screen.
The Summary Screen has one section to look at for the winners. The E2+Late screen will pick the winners in the top two fairly well. The rest of the program, while interesting, is fluff. The meat is in the Summary Screen

MyHorse1

Handle
01-07-2002, 01:30 AM
Hello everyone, sorry I've been away so long.
But this had to get me to crawl out of my hole in the ground!

I'm the author of EquiSim, so if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line (golganooza@golganooza.com will get to me).

While I agree that the Summary Report is a useful tool,
I wouldn't be too quick to denounce the other features as fluff.
EquiSim was developed as a handicapping tool -- not just a winner picker. However, as it has evolved and perhaps through a bit of luck, its simulations pick a good number of winners too.

According to a friend who uses EquiSim, it hit the 150$ exacta in GP's 12th on the 5th -- straight. Last year, using the current release version (2.*), EquiSim hit 14 out of 43 turf sprints at the Fairgrounds for a 90% ROI. So far this year it hasn't faired so well for Turf Sprints, but in Turf Routes it has hit 15 out of 49 with an ROI of 64%. There was one 32.80 horse in the bunch, without it the ROI is still +45%. Best of all, this is all right there in the Database Results Analysis so you can figure out what angles it is performing well in. I can't agree that this is fluff, although I'll
be the first to say that it is not my only handicapping criteria.

The fractions view, suggested to me by a long time player, is another useful, un-fluff-like, tool. It orders all of the fractional times, or pace figures, for all of the horses, and color codes them as well. I've used it many times to spot a horse with a dominant ability.

But this is old news. I'm nearing completion of the next generation of EquiSim and it has some really exciting features.

<DESCRIPTION OF FEATURES TO COME IN A YET
TO BE RELEASED SOFTWARE PRODUCT -- You needn't
read further if the mention of a software product by the person
that sells that product offends your sensibilities>

In the new version, the simulations can now be "tuned". By tuned, I mean that you tell the program what cards you are interested in. It then opens them and cycles through them, simulating race after race, over and over again with various settings for early bias, late bias, trainer wins, jockey wins, post position, trainer statistic angles, prime power, etc.. You can tell it to tune for win % or ROI. When it is done, it tells you the results and then, when you simulate a race, it knows which settings to use given the track, distance, and surface of the race. Essentially, it determines the prevalent biases for a specific track/distance/surface in a given time frame. Here are the results from the meet at the Farigrounds so far after tuning for WIN %:

(TUNED FOR WIN %)
TURF ROUTE:
Races: 41
Win%: 34.1463
ROI: 134.634 (100 is break even).

DIRT ROUTE:
Races: 86
Win%: 34.8837
ROI: 84.3

TURF SPRINT:
Races: 15
Win%: 46.667
ROI: 160

DIRT SPRINT:
Races: 175
Win %: 32.57
ROI: 70

OVERALL:
Races: 317
Wins: 106
Win Perc: 33.44
ROI: -14.5% (0 is break even)
PLACE Perc: 51.4 ROI: 7.35% (positive)
Show Perc: 62.15 ROI: -2.5%

Exacta Box: 14.5% ROI: 4.6% (positive)
Trifecta Box: 11.67 ROI: 62.6% (positive)

I haven't run it through for ROI yet, but those percs aren't bad,
and you have to like those exotic numbers for playing every single race. (oh, yes, the new version also lets you simulate every horse, even first time starters, for those that have looked at the software).

Now, here's where it gets even better. I've added something I call the "Profiler" database. This is a massive extension to the current database functionality. Ever wonder how well Prime Power really does? Ever wonder how it does at your favorite track, on six furlong races, in a race with a likely slow pace, and for maiden claimers at 20K? This tool will tell you. It will also tell you that in nearly all categories, the ROI for the simulation winners is better than the ROI for the horse with the best prime power. Basically, "Profiler" tells you the predictive power of a given statistic, such as "Dominant/Best/Strong/Weak" E1, E2, Late, Trainer, etc.. It tells you the number of races the statistic appears in, the number of starts for the statistic, and the win/place/show percentage along with the ROI. There's a bunch of other stuff in there, but this message is getting long in the tooth already.

Since I recently saw a message about downloading charts and parsing them, I'll also mention that the new version lets you store the charts in your database. And it uses the free ones now available from BRIS. You access them by clicking on the race index of the pace line (or using a "show me" dialog) -- voila,
the chart pops up.

Well, I've gone on here for a while -- but I'm excited about getting this new version out and seeing what people think of it.
When will the new version be ready? Hopefully a demo will be ready within a month or so.

-Handle

Myhorse1_X
01-07-2002, 08:38 AM
My comments were not in any way to demean your program. I think it is a lot of program for the money.
The results I was getting from the one screen seemed to give me all the information that I wanted. The horses running around the track is a little bit much, but it took a LOT of programming to do this feature.

I probably will purchase the program just to be able to profile the Turf Races at the tracks I play.

Regards,

MyHorse1

boots
01-15-2002, 06:39 PM
What more could you want from a program? Best thing I seen since sliced bread. And he says it is going to get better.:) :) :)

Myhorse1_X
01-17-2002, 08:48 AM
I did purchase the program and have had time to work with it. At the price is it very worthwhile.
I have worked with the Database, and it does improve the results. This time of year it is difficult to rate a program because of the weather factor at most tracks.
The program does well at AQU, and does poorly at Gulfstream, but that is no surprise at GP. I don't think any program or handicapper can figure out Gulfstream at this time of year.

I am looking forward to the updates promised. All in all the program does quite will, hits a lot of trifecta's in the top four. I think for a beginning handicapper all the information might overwhelm the user, but if used as the programmer designed, would show a lot of practical handicapping theory in all the windows of information.

Myhorse1

Bruddah
01-17-2002, 11:49 AM
I have used this program for over a year and can tell you I have used several others over the years. None of which come close to doing what this program does. The developer (Handle) is a brilliant but humble young man. The one disagreement I have with him about this program is, he doesn't charge enough for it.

This program has features and gives more information in a "click" than many which charge hundreds of dollars more. This is not a toy but has a very user friendly learning curve.

Handle, the one feature I wished, I could get you to finish soon is, the Race Replay or 3-Dimensional Replay of the race from charts. Those of us which save charts and revue them in our handicapping, would kill to be able to see a replay from these charts. To be able to have a data base of charts available at a "click" and to be able to see a recreation of the race run from those charts, would bring this part of our handicapping into the cyber world.

Anyway folks, Equisim is the real deal, for the serious data based handicapper.

boots
01-17-2002, 12:24 PM
I have only had this for less than a week. Used multicaps for years and plan on useing both for awhile. I use the multicaps file and put it in both programs. Have just loaded first three days from Oaklawn last year, and was amazed at the winners even a $50 horse. This on the sim charts. On the multicaps I use the var. page and only look at class, race, speed, power, early and late.With these two I plan on making lot of money at Oaklawn this year.

anotherdave
01-17-2002, 01:33 PM
I just downloaded the 20 day demo of equisim and while I listened to the audio at Aqueduct, I ran the simulation at the same time. It was a hoot. Almost like having the video. Sure the horse that it had winning came 2nd, but it was close!

This is a cool program and has some neat features.

anotherdave
01-17-2002, 01:49 PM
I just noticed that the race simulations even have the colours of the horses correct. By the way the handicapping screens are cool too.

boots
01-17-2002, 02:08 PM
It has lots of features that the more I play the better I like it.

PaceAdvantage
01-17-2002, 05:40 PM
Went to the equisim website....couldn't find what data files the program uses.....I assume they are BRIS files of some kind....which kind??

The program looks like it does a heck of a lot for the price...

==PA

boots
01-17-2002, 06:10 PM
drf single
I use the multicap file work the same. Only cost a dollar more.

sq764
01-17-2002, 08:39 PM
I think the best deal is the $.50 TSNhorse files.. They work too.

Handle
01-17-2002, 08:52 PM
Ahhh -- but the BRIS files, since a year ago, now have Trainer Stats, Pedigree stats, and Prime Power in them (ES makes use of these if they are present). They cost a buck (use BrisBet at least once a month and get 20% off all of your handicapping info). I asked TSN if they had plans to include the same in their files and they said, and I quote, "no".

On a different note <BEGIN RANT>
I'd like everyone that comes to PA to write to BRIS and tell them that we want ONE _results_ file format that has all of the information in it -- the chart, the internal fractions, the calls, the exotic results, the last race each horse was in (for key race programs), etc.. It just ticks me off the way they have it structured right now. In order to get all of the results for a race you need to buy (for a BUCK!) the "Import Chart" files for the chart in a data structured format (and it doesn't have the detailed commentary the last I looked) and the exotic results file for the exotic payoffs. They have another file too if memory serves.
I think you should pay 25 cents for ALL the results data.
<END RANT>

Originally posted by sq764
I think the best deal is the $.50 TSNhorse files.. They work too.