PDA

View Full Version : NY Times story on off-shore rebates

andicap
04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
page 1 today (you need to register I believe)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/26/sports/othersports/26WHAL.html

And my response in a letter to the editor I sent.

To the editor:

Racetracks may believe that money going off-shore will invariably curb their revenues, but they neglect to mention a very strong mitigating factor in
Joe Drape's story (April 26, page 1) about high-rollers playing the odds by getting rebates outside of the U.S. The more a player wins, the more he can throw back into the pot and contribute greater amounts to the track's handle. Yes, the tracks are receiving a far less percentage of the take from off-shor(e bookies, but by returning more money to the bettors, the Caribbean books are keeping more money circulating. The huge takeout suffered by those who bet through American tracks takes money out of bettors' pockets much faster, removes those funds from circulation, and discourages them from returning to the track.

(I mentioned that I have written about racing for pubs like The Bloodhorse in the past in hopes of increasing my meager chances of betting published.)

andicap
04-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Just wondering --- is the reason I got 0 responses to the exact same article that Entropy filed in the "handicapping section" is that the Times requires registration and he posted the entire story?

Also, what is the policy here, PA, about reprinting entire stories due to copyright rules? I don't care one way or the other, but lets be consistent.

I know it seems petty but I'm just curious that's all. I will refrain from posting CERTAIN stories in the future if people need to register to view them since it seems to be a discouragement.

:p

BillW
04-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Andi,

I never read "have to register" links. I find that never giving out any info to websites keeps the spam at zero. :cool:

For those who want to remain anonymous to the spammers but still read:

http://www.majcher.com/nytview.html

Handy little tool.

Bill

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2004, 09:51 AM
If you must reprint entire articles because the link doesn't work (or whatever), please credit the source and author.

I much prefer a link and an excerpt, if possible.

andicap
04-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by BillW
Andi,

I never read "have to register" links. I find that never giving out any info to websites keeps the spam at zero. :cool:

For those who want to remain anonymous to the spammers but still read:

http://www.majcher.com/nytview.html

Handy little tool.

Bill

(sigh) don't blame you. What I do, however, is set up a hotmail account just for when I have to give my email out on the web. I NEVER use my real one (although I do here: maybe that's why I'm getting more spam these days.)

PA, an excerpt is a great idea. Fair use and all that. I should have thought about that. Thanks for the response.

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2004, 10:23 AM
I have never given away or sold anyone's e-mail address.

andicap
04-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I have never given away or sold anyone's e-mail address.

of course not.
I was referring to spammers who take e-mail addresses off the Web surreptiously.

cj
04-28-2004, 12:15 PM
I'm with BillW, if I have to register, I don't read it. Just lazy I guess.