PDA

View Full Version : do more horses win by a head than lose by a head

formula_2002
07-06-2014, 02:30 PM
for the data base boys and girls,, Do more horses win by a head than lose by a head?

And what are their respective odds?

oh boy.it took a bit of work but I found the answer.

half of them win by a head and half of the lose.
:) :) :)

I'm certain I just ment what are their respective odds?

Greyfox
07-06-2014, 02:38 PM
for the data base boys and girls,, Do more horses win by a head than lose by a head?

And what are their respective odds?

oh boy.it took a bit of work but I found the answer.

half of them win by a head and half of the lose.
:) :) :)

I'm certain I just ment what are their respective odds?

Somehow me thinks that question needs to be restructured.
Intuitively, it is obvious if two horses are involved in that close of a call,
the answer is 50% win and 50% lose.
Logically though, there may be two or more horses in the same race losing by a head to the winner. So I would say that more horses lose by a head than win by a head.
But as I said, the question needs reframing somehow.

formula_2002
07-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Actually, what I really ment, is , do more horses maintain their head advantage than lose it.

cj's dad
07-06-2014, 11:49 PM
This qualifies as the dumbest thread starter since I have been here, and that goes back to '05

BTW- I am guessing 50-50 :lol:

Pensacola Pete
07-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Actually, a few more horses lose by a head than win by a head. For example, a horse can finish first by a head and beat two horses who were close enough together to each be listed as finishing a head behind.

jk3521
07-07-2014, 05:56 AM
duh!!!

formula_2002
07-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Actually, a few more horses lose by a head than win by a head. For example, a horse can finish first by a head and beat two horses who were close enough together to each be listed as finishing a head behind.
That's a good point.

thespaah
07-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Somehow me thinks that question needs to be restructured.
Intuitively, it is obvious if two horses are involved in that close of a call,
the answer is 50% win and 50% lose.
Logically though, there may be two or more horses in the same race losing by a head to the winner. So I would say that more horses lose by a head than win by a head.
But as I said, the question needs reframing somehow.
BINGO! For every winner by a head, there must be a loser..by a head

thespaah
07-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Actually, what I really ment, is , do more horses maintain their head advantage than lose it.
Now that's a good one.
I guess it's more or less a matter of personal experience.
Some people, especially those who are on bad runs of betting "could not catch a cold", would probably claim their horse gets caught and beaten every time.

formula_2002
07-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Now that's a good one.
I guess it's more or less a matter of personal experience.
Some people, especially those who are on bad runs of betting "could not catch a cold", would probably claim their horse gets caught and beaten every time.

It's a matter of looking at the data :cool:

traynor
07-07-2014, 10:06 AM
But what about races that end in a dead heat for win, with only one horse losing by a head to the two winners?

cj's dad
07-07-2014, 12:38 PM
What about races where there is the rare triple dead heat and the rest of the field (say 7 more) all lose by a head in a 7 horse dead heat for place. what category would that fit in ? :rolleyes:

Red Knave
07-07-2014, 01:01 PM
...all lose by a head in a 7 horse dead heat for place
You mean for 4th, right?

Don't hit me! ;)

cj's dad
07-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks B-What was I thinking ? This thread has my brain (what's left) in a funk.

BettinBilly
07-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks B-What was I thinking ? This thread has my brain (what's left) in a funk.

I thought I was the only one, Curtis. Damn, this thread is like a riddle that is juxtaposed with an oxymoron. :)

Stillriledup
07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
I thought about this thread last night and thought about a thread i started here last year about a horse at Delta Downs who won like 6 or 7 races in a row, all by a nose, head or neck.

This is one horse winning by a "small margin" and i don't have the PPs in front of me, but he might have beaten 6 different horses by small margins. So, you have an example here of one runner being responsible for 6 different horses losing by a head.

formula_2002
07-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I thought about this thread last night and thought about a thread i started here last year about a horse at Delta Downs who won like 6 or 7 races in a row, all by a nose, head or neck.

This is one horse winning by a "small margin" and i don't have the PPs in front of me, but he might have beaten 6 different horses by small margins. So, you have an example here of one runner being responsible for 6 different horses losing by a head.
how often did he gain by a head or hold off by a head?

formula_2002
07-07-2014, 09:39 PM
But what about races that end in a dead heat for win, with only one horse losing by a head to the two winners?
I would think that is a throw out, That could be less than 1% of the finishes.
Then again perhaps not.. look at the data.

Stillriledup
07-07-2014, 10:00 PM
how often did he gain by a head or hold off by a head?

I wish i could find the thread and the horse's name, but if i remember correctly, he was a pace presser speed type, so he was usually the one battling back or holding on to win by a small margin rather than passing the other runner to just get up.

Pensacola Pete
07-08-2014, 05:38 AM

The argument could be made that neither horse won by anything. Even if you count them as both winners by a head, there are a lot more non-dead-heats that involve two horses who lose by a head to the winner, than dead-heats that beat the next horse or horses by a head.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Gonna be hard to know who held on or lost by a head. Chart data has the visually estimated margin at the stretch call, and that is 1 furlong before the finish. What happened between then and the finish, who knows? Heads could get in front and fall back or get out-nodded. Think that would require reviewing videos - way too much work, for me at least.

Dark Horse
07-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but if I could bet that late in the race, and it looked like it would be that close, I would bet on the horse coming from behind. He carries the most speed, so if the jockey has timed his run correctly he should win more often.

formula_2002
07-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Gonna be hard to know who held on or lost by a head. Chart data has the visually estimated margin at the stretch call, and that is 1 furlong before the finish. What happened between then and the finish, who knows? Heads could get in front and fall back or get out-nodded. Think that would require reviewing videos - way too much work, for me at least.

just go with what you know. if the horse is not in the lead at the stretch call and wins by a neck, he closed. if the horse is 1st at the stretch call and loses by a neck he lost by a neck..
always note the odds.

the result we be you will know the odds of the winners bt a neck and the losers by a neck. where do we go from there? not sure, but the results could lead us.

Stillriledup
07-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Bren's Friend, a 5 year old mare by Act of Duty, who's racing in a few mins at Penn National (Race 7, July 10), has a lifetime boxscore of 36 starts, 3 wins TWENTY seconds and 5 thirds.

yes, 3 wins and 20 seconds. :eek:

Overlay
07-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Bren's Friend, a 5 year old mare by Act of Duty, who's racing in a few mins at Penn National (Race 7, July 10), has a lifetime boxscore of 36 starts, 3 wins TWENTY seconds and 5 thirds.

yes, 3 wins and 20 seconds. :eek:
She should be renamed "Jacqueline Who". :)

Stillriledup
07-11-2014, 01:10 AM
She should be renamed "Jacqueline Who". :)

She won tonight! 4th lifetime win. As soon as i branded her a seconditis horse, she said "i'll show you!" :D