PDA

View Full Version : Black woman (motorist?) beaten by cop in Calif.

Stillriledup
07-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Seems at least a little similar to the Rodney King beating, so, i'll ask...where are the riots?

Do we stop rioting now when someone gets beaten up?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2680661/Trooper-filmed-beating-woman-head-California-highway.html

Tom
07-05-2014, 04:16 PM
They said the woman would be given a mental evaluation.
I think the cop needs it more than she does.
I don't care if she just killed your dog - that was unacceptable.

JustRalph
07-05-2014, 05:46 PM
We have twitter and Facebook

No need to leave the house to protest

TJDave
07-05-2014, 06:27 PM
We have twitter and Facebook

No need to leave the house to protest

You being former LE I gotta ask:

Do cops not know that everyone now has a camera?

HUSKER55
07-05-2014, 06:47 PM
LOOK AT A PICTURE AND PASS JUDGEMENT.

You guys need to get a grip. That is what the courts are for IF she files a claim.

The USA does not need sidewalk engineers nor sidewalk judges.

He should have used his taser on her and waited for the wagon. Now if she has a heart condition.....oh wait....he should know about that as well?

I have a heart problem. If I get tasered then it is good bye. Would the officer responsible for that?

None of us were there, so i think we should wait and see how the law plays out.

JustRalph
07-05-2014, 07:04 PM
You being former LE I gotta ask:

Do cops not know that everyone now has a camera?

Adrenaline is a cruel master.........

He's a dumbass. They are out there............beware

Robert Fischer
07-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Law enforcement has almost no accountability because it is the most efficient means, and because those who control law enforcement, value "efficiency" higher than the alternatives for individual members of the general public.

Tom
07-05-2014, 08:11 PM
The USA does not need sidewalk engineers nor sidewalk judges.
We sure as hell don't need cops like that.
Too bad someone watching didn't shoot the SOB. He deserved it as much as any street thug mugging someone.

Ooops, I meant street bad guy...thug means different stuff nowadays.
Sidewalk English professors, I guess. :rolleyes:

JustRalph
07-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Law enforcement has almost no accountability because it is the most efficient means, and because those who control law enforcement, value "efficiency" higher than the alternatives for individual members of the general public.

Well said. Remember every person above the rank of "street Sgt" is a politician. Not a cop. Detective Sgt's are politicians because they work after the fact. Just my opine.

Anybody with Lt. Bars and above is a politician. No longer a cop.

highnote
07-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Adrenaline is a cruel master.........

He's a dumbass. They are out there............beware

Another good point. When policemen go through training are they taught to manage their emotions in difficult situations?

I'm sure it is hard. Think about how you feel when you've got a big bet on a longshot and your horse is neck and neck with another coming to the wire.

Now imagine trying to arrest someone -- probably 100 times as much adrenaline.

I just remembered that about 20 years ago I worked on a training video for the NYPD about how to deal with Haitian immigrants. Cops would hear the loud voices of Haitians when they had to confront them and thought that the Haitians were ready to get violent, but in reality this was part of the Haitian's culture and the cops needed to understand their culture and not make snap judgments based on the experiences of dealing with other cultures.

Maybe the woman in the video was just behaving in a way that would be normal in her culture and add to that the fact she may have mental issues and it would be easy to see why a cop might act the way he did. So maybe better training is the answer? Maybe his superiors need to shoulder some of the blame?

dartman51
07-06-2014, 12:39 AM
Ooops, I meant street bad guy...thug means different stuff nowadays.
Sidewalk English professors, I guess. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: We have a few of them here. :D

Tom
07-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Oh yeah, that's right. :lol:

HUSKER55
07-07-2014, 04:45 AM
jealous...huh :D

Actor
07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
That is what the courts are for IF she files a claim.She doesn't have to file a claim. A grand jury can indict whether the victim wants it or not. The district attorney may be able to prosecute based on evidence. It is common practice not to prosecute if the victim does not press charges but it can be done.

I have a heart problem. If I get tasered then it is good bye. Would the officer responsible for that?Depends on circumstances. Did you officer know of you heart problem? Were you a danger to the public? To the officer? To yourself? No pat answer here.

Due process seems to be proceeding. The officer is on administrative leave. Police are investigating. Wait and see.

JustRalph
07-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Question for the crowd

Was she resisting? Failing to obey a lawful request?

That's step one. Then we can discuss the rest.

Yes or no? Chime in.........

tucker6
07-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Did you officer know of you heart problem? Were you a danger to the public? To the officer? To yourself? No pat answer here.

Question on this portion of your answer. If I kill a pregnant woman and her unborn child, I'm guilty of a double homicide even if I didn't know she was pregnant (she's in early stages). Am I correct in that assumption?? If so, then why does a cop get off for killing someone will an equally unknown condition?

tucker6
07-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Question for the crowd

Does it matter? Let's say she was resisting. What constitutes a justifiable beating in this case to gain her cooperation? 1 hit? 5 hits? 10 hits? 15 hits? When you see that she is not really resisting other than protecting herself, the officers actions become tenuous. Failing to obey a lawful request IMO shouldn't be met with punching. Tasing is fine. Handcuffing is fine. Wrestling to the ground is fine. Punching 15 times is not fine.

Robert Goren
07-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Question for the crowd

Yes or no? Chime in.........What she doesn't feel the request is lawful?

JustRalph
07-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Does it matter? Let's say she was resisting. What constitutes a justifiable beating in this case to gain her cooperation? 1 hit? 5 hits? 10 hits? 15 hits? When you see that she is not really resisting other than protecting herself, the officers actions become tenuous. Failing to obey a lawful request IMO shouldn't be met with punching. Tasing is fine. Handcuffing is fine. Wrestling to the ground is fine. Punching 15 times is not fine.

There you go......discussing the rest.

JustRalph
07-08-2014, 08:26 PM
What she doesn't feel the request is lawful?

She doesn't get to make that decision, not at the scene, according to the law.

She can later argue the point in court. But not on the street.

davew
07-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Question for the crowd

I saw (an edited?) version on the news - she was walking on the shoulder and the cop ran up and started pounding her in the head and face - at least 20-30 blows - she was carrying a bag and after a bit tried to get him off of her with her leg. it must be on you-tube somewhere - she was in hospital for a week.

Even if he said stop and she kept walking, way beyond the call of duty. She will win a big lawsuit and her lawyers will make mucho denaro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-13eZZH7Yk

Tom
07-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Question for the crowd

It doesn't matter -the response was excessive and brutal. The Nazis beat people in the street for breaking laws. This guy acted like an animal.