PDA

View Full Version : Slew's Fast Horses for Saturday 07/05

MeSlew
07-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Hello All! It's been a while. I do hope all of you enjoyed this Independence Day, 2014.

For Saturday July 5th, here are the tracks and races on Slew's agenda:

Belmont - 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Monmouth - 4,6,7,8,10
Gulfstream - 1,5,6,7,8,9,11
Woodbine - 2,4,6,8
Arlington - 2,3,4,5,8,9
Parx - 2,6

Of course, we have lost the California circuit for about two weeks until Del Mar opens for the summer session. That will be on the 17th of July and that is always an exciting time. If you have never been, put it on your bucket list. Just make sure you get there before you're looking at the bucket itself! It is truly a venue of great charm and beauty. And the racing isn't too shabby either.

Also, I want to note very quickly that I have expanded the RACES to WATCH section of my web page to include more complete data and ALL the races that come up as fast heats for whatever period is included in the current update. If you haven't already done so, you are invited to check it out and see if any of the data is of use to your approach to the game.

Now, to the business at hand. We have a Key Horse running on Saturday:

Little Alexis - GP ( 8) GP 02/09/14 # 5

In case this name rings a bell but the data is slow to percolate to the surface, Little Alexis beat My Miss Sophia in her maiden voyage on Feb. 9th at Gulfstream Park. On the shelf since then, she returns after being scratched out of an allowance contest on 6/21, so this would be her 1st race back and her second try over all. With 6 listed works, the last three notably professional with regards to their swiftness, she is entered in a 75K stake and sports the high speed fig in the field.

But there isn't much to go on with a single stalk and pounce race on the books,so this three year old daughter of Mr. Greeley (Gone West) out of a Giant's Causeway mare will show us a bit more in her second start off the almost 5 month layoff. She runs for Carlo Vaccarezza and attracts the services of Edgar Prado (remember him?).

As a slight ML favorite at 5/2, and with the notch in her holster from beating My Miss Sophia, she will get some attention. But there is quite a bit of stakes experience in this young group as well as enough early speed to ensure a suitable challenge in this second try on the dirt. In particular, Pletcher escapee and last out winner Yes Liz, now running for Martin Wolfson, is no stranger to mixing it up in sub :22 quarters and sub :45 half miles. But there are several Calder stakes runners who look ripe for the pickin', so if our damsel is in race shape...and her works appear to lean that way, it could be a two horse race.

If the odds hold and you've got a bankroll from early in the day, you might take a shot. If not, watch her carefully with an eye towards the summer and fall season. We'll find out a bit more about her in the 8th at Gulfstream Park, the 75K Cash Run Stakes for three year old fillies.

Enjoy the Saturday racing, good luck and good 'capping!