PDA

View Full Version : BRIS Archive Fails

Actor
07-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Has anyone else had difficulty downloading files from the BRIS archives? About a month ago I tried to download 42 files but 14 downloads failed. My credit card was charged for the full amount. BRIS said they would credit my account.

I tried again tonight but only one download succeeded and again my credit card has been charged. I'll call BRIS tomorrow.

I've experienced this problem only with the archives. I've had no problem downloading current files.

I want to build a database with a year of data for the NYRA tracks. If I can't buy data from the archives it will take a year to do that. Maybe I just have to be patient.

senortout
07-02-2014, 05:47 PM
archives....chart archives are free, is that what you are referring to, specifically, Brisnet chart archives?

Steve 'StatMan'
07-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I think Actor is refering to the comma-delimited results data files, esp. if he's trying to build a database.

You can, or course, build a database from the charts data, that's how I started over 20 years ago, when results files were $4 each, and paper DRF's & Racing Times were less than that, and I wanted those PPS anyway (only choice back then.) And yeah, if you're a busy person, it might just take a good half-year to a year to type a significant amount of data. Data-files are definitely the way to go, unless you want very little of the info available, and then when you do want more of that old data, you're in a nasty jam.

Tom
07-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Charging full price for old race cards is pretty cheeky.

Actor
07-02-2014, 07:43 PM
I think Actor is refering to the comma-delimited results data files, esp. if he's trying to build a database.

You can, or course, build a database from the charts data, that's how I started over 20 years ago, when results files were $4 each, and paper DRF's & Racing Times were less than that, and I wanted those PPS anyway (only choice back then.) And yeah, if you're a busy person, it might just take a good half-year to a year to type a significant amount of data. Data-files are definitely the way to go, unless you want very little of the info available, and then when you do want more of that old data, you're in a nasty jam.I'm referring to the comma delimited files, particularly the drf, xrd and cht files.

Yesterday's instance seems to have resolved itself. This afternoon I was able to download all but two of the files, and this evening I got those.

It's been a while since I bought files from the archives. A couple of years ago I could download the files in a few minutes. Now it seems to take hours before the files I buy are made available.

Robert Goren
07-02-2014, 11:49 PM
CDI bought BRIS I believe in 2007 or 2008. Maybe that move is finally catching up to BRIS. But for all their faults, they are miles ahead of the DRF on about everything except speed ratings.