PDA

View Full Version : Brutally Frank

Observer
01-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Just wanted to share, from my home-front of NY. One of my sentimental favorites, as he was with many who follow the NYRA circuit, Brutally Frank was euthanized several days ago after breaking down and being vanned off Dec. 19.

This was a really neat veteran gelding. After beginning his career at Arlington in 1996, the son of Groovy made his way around several racetracks, including Churchill Downs and Fair Grounds before settling in at the NYRA circuit in July 1998.

Primarily a claimer, the gelding really turned his game up after ambitiously stepping up to the Fall Highweight in 1999. No match behind Richter Scale, he returned for his 2000 campaign with a pair of runner-up finishes in allowance company. But then, he got even better, rattling off four straight wins, capped by the Bold Ruler, over Kelly Kip, and the Carter, over Western Expression and Affirmed Success.

His record started to become spotty soon after, with just one more win earned later that year. After repeated losses in stakes company, Frankie finally found himself back in with claimers, first high-priced claimers at Saratoga, but when unable to compete, he found himself at his lowest level since Sept. 1999, when dropped to $50k in November.

Unsuccessful at the $50k mark, he made his third and final start at this tag Dec. 19, sadly breaking down in the stretch drive while unable to keep up. This once reformed claimer had been sadly reduced back to his claming past, and now vanned off.

Brief articles written in the days after left hope in the hearts of racing fans that Frankie would be alright, and given a nice home to retire to. Sadly, the good intentions of finding Frankie a good home will not be realized as the decision was made to euthanize him.

I know this is a tough game and break downs happen. It's the sad reality of the game that makes it seem inhumane. And it happens at all levels. But it almost seems unfair that he was dropped back into and down the claiming ladder rather than be retired to a good home when he failed to remain successful. (Not that he's the only one this has happened to).

The impossible does happen in this game, but what chance did a soon-to-be nine-year-old have at rekindling his spark? And what were the chances someone would want to claim him and even try to give it another go at making him into something again? And if the connections felt obligated to find him a good home because he had done so much for them, than why risk him in a claiming race at all, even if it seemed highly unlikely he'd be claimed?

Sometimes, no matter how long you follow this game, certain things will just never get easier.

:(

BRUTALLY FRANK
69-12-12-7
$636,663

Tom
01-02-2002, 09:33 AM
Back in the 70's, Finger Lakes had its own "monster" a horse named Mountain Man. He was an early version of Forego - stretch running freight train, always out of the race, always jsut up in time. He beat the best every race and became a local legend.
He was sports-page headline news whenever he ran, and he was truely a crowd favorite. His crowning achievement was winning a stake race that featured three "locks" shipping in from Aqueduct/Belmont. These guys were here for an easy purse on their way to Saratoga. I think the best one was named Terrible Tiger? Anyway, a mile and an eighth race, and Mountain Man went to the front! A confirmmed closer leading the pack. NEver more that a neck in front, when they turned for home, TT stuck his nose in front and Mountain Man responded with a surge that sent him out by three - he closed on the lead and won the race!
In the newstory the next day, it was revealed that he had broken a bone in his foot, or something, and still won. A legend was amoung us.
His career went on for several more years, then one year he only made a handfull fo starts. The next year, he came back in a claiming race at age 10. He was claimed, then run into the ground by a pathertic low-life trainer (who has since died, and yes, I did
a biological function on his grave one night).
After giving his all for so many years, theis piece of crap trainer refused to sell him back to his original trainer. Instead, he ended up selling him to the "killer" for $25.

RIP Mouintain man.
Burn in HELL, XXXXX

Tom

Observer
01-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Sounds as sick as what Exceller's owner did to him! Any owner that would refuse to give a horse a good home in favor of sending that horse to the killer should be banned from the sport.

Thanks for sharing your story. Mountain Man sounds like he would have been one of my many favorites.