PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Sunday, June 29, 2014

Teach
06-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Race One:

In this turf claiming route, I'm looking at two horses whom I believe can get the job done. My top pick here is :2: Al's Gal. The English Channel-bred filly drops back in for a tag and picks up the services of Cornelio Velasquez. She'll cut back a couple panels...and in this company, I think she has a solid chance for picture-taking. The other distaffer I'm looking at is :3: Gondole. This Christophe Clement-trained Afleet Alex-bred filly won her last in a maiden-breaking effort. Any repeat of that race and this 3 year-old should be right there at the wire. If you're considering gimmicks, I'd make a case for :4: Medaglia d'Argento and :6: Malibu Queen.

Race Two:

In this claiming sprint non-winners of two, I'm leaning toward :6: Dedicated Deal. This 5 year-old Street Cry-bred gelding gets a significant pilot switch to Irad Ortiz, Jr. The filly was bumped at the start in her last; she also dons blinkers. All this could add up to a trip to the winner's circle. Others horses I'm considering are: :2: Brendan G. He's been off for a while, but he had a recent stellar bullet work. "Can do," as Nicely-Nicely might have said. Also; :5: Ice Wagon and :4: Cool Cat Tale.

Race Three:

In this optional claiming sprint, I like :3: Nuffsaid Nuffsaid. This Michelle Nevin trainee has been either first or second in her last three. In her current solid form, this mare merits serious attention. The other distaffer I'm looking at is :5: Jonata. She's moving up in class, but she did win her last nearly two months ago. She does signall her readiness for trainer Mike Hushion by drilling three panels in :35 flat! Also in the mix are :1: Elena Strikes and :4: Making Havoc.

Race Four:

In this 6 furlongs maiden-special I'm leaning toward :6: Cuantos. This first-timer impresses me with his recent solid morning work-tab. This Smoke Glacken-bred has the kinda pedigree that can put him in the mix at first asking. I'm going to watch him on the track in the post parade and on the tote. Frankly, Mark Hennig has been known to win with first-time starters, yet there are always exceptions. Anyway, worth a look. Another horse I'm considering is trhe more logical :5: Gran the Man is another Christophe Clement trainee. The Gone West-bred gelding was second in his only start a few weeks ago against similar. Any slight improvement... Others to consider are: :10: Invasion Point and :11: Runaway Posse.

Race Five:

In this wide-open claiming turf route, I can make a case for a handful of horses. I'm giving my lukewarm bod to :2: Rhythm Queen. Yes, the Charismatic-bred filly has been off "for the longest time" (recent Billy Joel concert at Fenway Pahk). Yet, she has the pedigree - and record to prove it (four wins in nine tries on the lawn) - to be a factor here. Top-notch pilot in Javier Castellano and solid trainer in Bruce Brown. Others to consider are: :4: Bargaining Table. Also, :1: Poor Etiquette and :10: First Whippoorwill

Race Six:

In this claiming route I'm going withy the ML fave, :2: Sacred Ground. The 7 year-old Awesome Again-bred has faced better in recent efforts. Appears to be dropping into a spot where he can win. Yet, not lead-pipe cinch. I believe the horse's pedigree would say that he would much prefer an off track; yet, he can win on a dry surface, as well. :3: [B]Romancing The Gold was the beaten fave against somewhat better in his last. Chance to make amends. Solid trainer in David Jacobson and his jockey, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is also top-notch. Others to consider are: :5: Mr. Espresso and :8: Hoppy Do.

Race Seven:

I'm gonna take a shot in this optional claiming turf sprint with :3: Morpheus. I like Bill Mott-trained horses and I believe this one has a chance. I also like the pilot, "El Dominicano," Jo-el Rosario. The blinkers come off; that equipment change could make a big difference. Others in the mix are: :9: Spring To The Sky; :1: Hear the Footsteps; :2: Honorable Dillon.

Race Eight:

In the Grade III Victory Ride sprint, I like :3: Milam. Her recent bullet work signals that this distaffer is ready for a trip to the winner's circle. Jose Lezcano in the irons for trainer Eddie Kenneally. This Street Sense-bred filly has held her own against some top-notch fillies. On her best, she can prevail here. Others to consider are: :6: Red Velvet; :2: Miss Behaviour; and :7: Fat Kat.

Race Nine:

In the finale, a turf claiming route, I like :7: Transplendid. The Elusive Quality-bred filly fell hard last fall and had to be vanned off. But that was last fall and today is June 29. This distaffer has had time to recover and drop into the selling ranks give her a distinct chance of garnering all the enchiladas. Others to consider are: :1: Fire Ship; :8: Zafiro Azul; and :4: Countess Twice.

Tor Ekman
06-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Race 1 - :4: W/P

Race 2 - :2: W/P

Race 3 - :4: W/P

Race 4 - pass

Race 5 - :2::4::8: exacta box

Race 6 - :2::6::8: exacta box

Race 7 - :1::3::9: exacta box

Race 8 - :1::2::3: exacta box

Race 9 - :1::4::7: exacta box

Tor Ekman
06-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Race 1 - :4: W/P
:4: pays $5.60, $2.70

Tor Ekman
06-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Race 2 - :2: W/P
Ran 2nd, nipped at the wire, paid $3.60 for place

Tor Ekman
06-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Race 3 - :4: W/P
Tired, ran out. I'll recap my exacta box plays for remainder of card in one end of day post

PhantomOnTour
06-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Is it a good sign when my first bet of the day, #3 in R4 at Bel, is eased entering the turn?
:bang:

PhantomOnTour
06-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Race 6:
trying with the :8: who's been running in some pretty fast races lately and getting clobbered, can lay closer to these and maybe get in the exacta or win it.

Ex:
2-3-6 w 8
8 w 2-3-4-6
Win:

Tor Ekman
06-29-2014, 07:49 PM
Race 5 - :2::4::8: exacta box

Race 6 - :2::6::8: exacta box

Race 7 - :1::3::9: exacta box

Race 8 - :1::2::3: exacta box

Race 9 - :1::4::7: exacta box

Shut out the rest of the day. Oh, well, get 'em next time