PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Maldonado is a hustling rider but...

dnlgfnk
06-28-2014, 11:17 PM
...it sure looked like he gave Cyclometer a hard rap well after the finish, when the horse surrendered a nose defeat after gaining a short lead midstretch in the Triple Bend (6th Santa Anita).

kmac1470
06-28-2014, 11:38 PM
That has to be a fine for Edwin. Pretty obvious temper tantrum well after the wire. Will be surprised if the Cal stewards don't come down pretty hard on him.

Robert Fischer
06-29-2014, 12:01 AM
...it sure looked like he gave Cyclometer a hard rap well after the finish, when the horse surrendered a nose defeat after gaining a short lead midstretch in the Triple Bend (6th Santa Anita).

Yes, looks like he got an extra one in there late.

Always inappropriate to hit a horse after the wire in frustration.

All in all an awful stretch-drive from a jockey who had no business losing once they entered the stretch.
This was Maldonado's 3rd consecutive mount on this horse. He should know by now that the horse shies from the whip. He made the same mistake in the competitive stretch drive on 4/12 where he whipped the horse off balance and began wrestling with the reigns. That was his first time on the horse this year, and understandable. Yet today he failed to correct that mistake and went to a big left-hand at the top of the stretch. Then the horse starts to get out, so he switches righty and starts wrangling the reigns around with his left hand before going to a series of hard right hands. Cost himself about $8,500 for losing this race.

Wickel
06-29-2014, 10:02 AM
He definitely got an extra lick in past the wire. Reminds me of the jocks that rough up a fractious horse refusing to enter the starting gate. Stews should bring down the gavel on these guys. IMO, Maldonado lost the race on the backstretch when he appeared to be standing in the saddle while attempting to rate the horse. This always comes back to haunt you. Never been impressed with this guy anyway.

Robert Fischer
06-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Cost himself about $8,500 for losing this race.

in purse money, before the likely fine or suspension

EMD4ME
06-29-2014, 12:14 PM
I was watching this race at Belmont. Swear to god, guy was screaming his balls off for the 6. Had 2000 to win. Guy next to him yells super loud, he's home, HE'S home, stop rooting.

6 blows the lead late. The jinx yells to the better, you boxed it so don't worry.

Guy wanted to rip his head off. Whole room yelled at the jinx and he runs away.

I know it's irrelevant but I know this jinx. Something tells me Maldonado heard him from NY :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, that last smack was totally unprofessional. Should be a decent fine involved.

Fingal
06-29-2014, 12:35 PM
That has to be a fine for Edwin. Pretty obvious temper tantrum well after the wire. Will be surprised if the Cal stewards don't come down pretty hard on him.

I'd say Maldonado won't be riding on that new track at Los Al for awhile.

Mineshaft
06-29-2014, 12:53 PM
anyone have a link for the race replay

ArlJim78
06-29-2014, 02:25 PM
I think it's worse than it looks at first glance, it's not just one crack after the wire. Watching the slo-mo replay I count 3 times where he casually lets the whip strike the horse in the head, that's before he rises up for another backhander. the guy obviously blew his cool and there should be consequences.

Robert Fischer
06-29-2014, 02:38 PM

i can only see the late whipping from my ADW's head-on replay, but you can watch Maldonado blow the win by whipping and wrangling his horse down to 2nd in HD here:

UAMjRvELrYc

Mineshaft
06-29-2014, 02:52 PM
He definitely got an extra lick in past the wire. Reminds me of the jocks that rough up a fractious horse refusing to enter the starting gate. Stews should bring down the gavel on these guys. IMO, Maldonado lost the race on the backstretch when he appeared to be standing in the saddle while attempting to rate the horse. This always comes back to haunt you. Never been impressed with this guy anyway.

watch the replay every jock was standing straight up that didnt cost him the race.

Mineshaft
06-29-2014, 02:59 PM
the ride was fine. To me it looked like the horse was either goofing off down the stretch or fighting the jock. For him to whip the horse after the race tells me the horse was his own worst enemy. Edwin was just trying to send a signal that hes the boss and you have to do it my way not your way. I have no problem with it hes just trying to get the horse to do it the right way next time. Hes probably going to get days for it but most owners/trainers probably dont mind Edwin trying to correct the horse even after the finish line.

Relwob Owner
06-29-2014, 03:37 PM
the ride was fine. To me it looked like the horse was either goofing off down the stretch or fighting the jock. For him to whip the horse after the race tells me the horse was his own worst enemy. Edwin was just trying to send a signal that hes the boss and you have to do it my way not your way. I have no problem with it hes just trying to get the horse to do it the right way next time. Hes probably going to get days for it but most owners/trainers probably dont mind Edwin trying to correct the horse even after the finish line.

Huh? This was clearly a temper tantrum on his part, thinking he had the race won. I don't think most trainers, other than you, would be happy with what he did. I would never have him on a horse of mine, as he clearly can't keep himself under control.

Stillriledup
06-29-2014, 03:43 PM

He rides every horse like that, no crouch, i guess he doesn't care much about aerodynamics, rider that takes a lot of air standing almost straight up.

davew
06-29-2014, 03:55 PM
it looks like a fist pump in frustration after the finish

in stretch looks like down stretch had to bring left arm up towards head to keep horse from drifting in from right whips

Exotic1
06-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Yes, looks like he got an extra one in there late.

Always inappropriate to hit a horse after the wire in frustration.

All in all an awful stretch-drive from a jockey who had no business losing once they entered the stretch.
This was Maldonado's 3rd consecutive mount on this horse. He should know by now that the horse shies from the whip. He made the same mistake in the competitive stretch drive on 4/12 where he whipped the horse off balance and began wrestling with the reigns. That was his first time on the horse this year, and understandable. Yet today he failed to correct that mistake and went to a big left-hand at the top of the stretch. Then the horse starts to get out, so he switches righty and starts wrangling the reigns around with his left hand before going to a series of hard right hands. Cost himself about $8,500 for losing this race.

Perfect analysis.

Horse probably doesn't want 7F but he still ran his heart out. This nut job of a jockey has no clue. As soon as the #1 breaks poorly, he should have gone for the lead - that was the only way he was going to beat the #1 at 7F. Instead he's daydreaming. He's strong, but that's about it.

Exotic1
06-29-2014, 04:25 PM
He rides every horse like that, no crouch, i guess he doesn't care much about aerodynamics, rider that takes a lot of air standing almost straight up.

aerodynamics - he has no clue. He's tall enough to play in the NBA. He's listed at 5' 6" but he's probably 6'. Just joking but the guy can't crouch.

Robert Fischer
06-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Perfect analysis.

Horse probably doesn't want 7F but he still ran his heart out. This nut job of a jockey has no clue. As soon as the #1 breaks poorly, he should have gone for the lead - that was the only way he was going to beat the #1 at 7F. Instead he's daydreaming. He's strong, but that's about it.

On one hand, the guy is a brave man, works extremely hard to physically try his best, and he has an extremely dangerous,and difficult job. It's hard to be too critical.

But on the other hand, it's a tough reality where we have to be critical.

If nothing else, we can't have jockeys hitting a horse in frustration after the wire.

Exotic1
06-29-2014, 05:02 PM
On one hand, the guy is a brave man, works extremely hard to physically try his best, and he has an extremely dangerous,and difficult job. It's hard to be too critical.

But on the other hand, it's a tough reality where we have to be critical.

If nothing else, we can't have jockeys hitting a horse in frustration after the wire.

I understand,I actually tempered my response. I watched the simulcast feed and I was very upset.

dnlgfnk
06-29-2014, 08:18 PM

http://www.calracing.com/ (free registration)

It's obvious in the stretch slow mo replay and the head on.

Stillriledup
06-29-2014, 08:34 PM

Its possible he hit his own boot...or just pumped his fist in frustration without hitting the horse, the head on angle is inconclusive, maybe the judges have another angle that shows what actually happened.

kevb
06-29-2014, 09:47 PM
It's hard to tell, but I thought he whacked his boot.