PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Park: Sat., June 28, 2014

Teach
06-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Race One:

:6: Pecorino "appears" to be the horse to beat in the seven panel sprint. All the plusses are there: Johnny V., Todd Pletcher, well bred, and has hit the tote in all three of his starts. My only gnawing concern is that the Afleet Alex-bred gelding is stretching out when he's yet to win at six panels. John Velazquez should be right there no worse than second, but he must ration out this gelding's speed. Do I hear the word: stamina? Also, he must avoid a speed duel with :3: Indian Rain Dance who should be out and gunning. This Stormy Atlantic-bred has shown he can get the distance, albeit finishing second against weaker. Manny Chaves hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire; yet he has a "live" horse. One that had a solid recent work. Others to consider are :1: Candir who'll be coming off "the tailgate". Finally, :2: Flat Jack has hit the board in four out of his five lifetime starts. A most capable jock in Jose Lezcano.

Race Two:

:6: Untiltherewasyou is my upset try in this fillies and mares claiming sprint. I think you can toss out this Big Brown-bred filly's only try. She did not handle the turf and tired badly in the stretch. A chance to make amends. I'd be looking at the tote and her use in exotic plays. A hint of action would embolden this play. The filly is adding blinkers and has a solid trainer in Lisa Lewis. :9: Tordita has to be considered here as she moves to the extreme outside. The filly did little on the lawn in her last. but now... :7: Moon Map did not handle the off-going in her last. A chance for improvement on a dry surface from an outside post; has faced better. Finally, :3: Naughty Matilda may well be the early speed here. If she can get loose, it will change the dynamics of this race and could well put this Indian Charlie-bred filly in a position to contend.

Race Three:

:4: Harbingerofthings was beaten by weaker in her last at Presque Isle. However, the Rockport Harbor-bred mare has won five of 21 on the grass. This is her third start off a layoff. Irad Ortiz, Jr. for trainer Mike Trombetta. A solid shot here. :1: Chelsea Road looks like another horse that can be right there. I like the fact that Javier Castellano is in the irons. What he's going to do with this filly? I'm not sure. It appears he'll have to rush her up for the lead from his inside starting post or try to wheel her to the outside and loop the field. The filly has hit the board in five of seven tries on the lawn. Nick Esler is a solid trainer. :6: Persnickity is another filly to be reckoned with. She has hit the tote in over half of her lawn tries. Jose Ortiz is the reinsman for John Toscano, Jr. Finally, :2: Kilnockagain was claimed out of her last when beaten by weaker. She now moves to the Gary Contessa barn; a change of scenery may prove a wakeup call.

Race Four:

In the Grade I Mother Goose who else but :2: Untapable who might well be unstoppable at extremely short odds (I thought I read that there was no show betting in this race; did I hear minus pool). Three in a row including the Grade I Kentucky Oaks. John Velazquez for Steve Asmussen. Others to consider are: :1: House Rules; :6: Stopchargingmaria; :5: Aqua Regia

Race Five:

:5: Winner's Legacy is my pick in what I consider a wide-open turf route. Admittedly the filly has done little, lately; however, this could be her wakeup call. She certainly has a class edge on most of these. If she can revert to her earlier form, she can prevail over this field. Another maiden to give attention to is :8: Shaikha. This 4-year-old Slew City Slew-bred figures prominently in this race. She has finished second in nearly half her lifetime grass races. Could this be the race she moves from bridesmaid status to "taking the veil"? The other two distaffers I believe can be factors here are :1: Acrostic and :2: Lifeguard on Duty.

Race Six:

:7: Fashion Fund is my pick in this allowance route on the turf. This well-bred, highly-priced filly can prevail here, John Velazquez for "Shug" McGaughey. Since coming across "The Pond," this Oasis Dream-bred fil;ly has finished first and a closing third. The extra teenth should help her chances. Others in the mix are: :1: Lady's Lunar Luck. The alliteratively named distaffer has hit the tote in over half her grass tries. Then, there's :10: Seda Francesca. In her two turf races she's shown she's a solid router. Finally, :8: Cushion has been away from the races - on the European Continent - for about seven months. If she's reasonably prepared, she can make an impact.

Race Seven:

In this optional claiming route I'm going with :1: Capo Bastone . The chestnut colt has shown little lately; yet that was against stakes company. He now moves into a spot where the Street Cry-bred has a solid chance of winning. Johnny V. for Todd Pletcher. Others to be considered are: :4: Big Business; :7: Irsaal; and :6: Pinball.

Race Eight:

In the Manila I'm going for a value play. I think this could be a red-letter day for the "Hall-of-Famer," John Velazquez. I'm gonna take a shot that Johnny V. can boot this Unbridled's Song-bred colt, :3: Long On Value home. He was second in his last in a Grade III Stakes at Arlington Park about a month ago. In his sharp form he could spring the upset. The Hall-of-Famer, Bill Mott, trains. Others to consider: :8: Bashart (not be confused with Beshert (soul mate) has a good chance here. Also: :6: Green Mask and :7: Cabo Cat.

Race Nine:

In the Grade II New York ("Start spreading the news..."), I'm casting my lot with :3: Inimitable Romanee. The Graham Motion trainee has won three out of her last four. In her current solid form, I'm giving this Maria's Mon-bred the edge over this field. She appears to be the plodding type who can easily handle the distance. Others to consider are: :1: Tannery; :2: Riposte; :4: Viva Rafaela

Race Ten:

In the finale, an optional claiming route on the lawn, I'm going with :2: I Got Id. This well-named (I wonder if there is an "ego" and "superego") Freud bred has won twice and finished second once in three lifetime starts. In this colt's solid current form he rates serious consideration. Add to that the fact that John Velazquez is in the irons for trainer Carlos Martin. Does move up some in class but still has the ability to prevail. Others to consider are: :9: Captain Gaughen, :10: Majestic Raffy and :6: Why Not Whiskey.