PDA

View Full Version : Drops Off Claim

FlintAtTheFetlock
06-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Could someone kindly explain to me the mindset when trainers and owners drop off a claim. I am looking at Monmouth race 2 today Evasive Cat :2: . Claimed for 8K after finishing a strong second in last, now shipped to Monmouth a month later to run for 6K. Why wouldn't another trainer claim this horse today as he shows excellent form? Are the margins that small that these connections are satisfied with a meager $1000-$2000 for all that effort. or do I have the math wrong

I am inclined to play this horse and doubt I will get 5/2 but should alarms be going off. The :3: looks to be his only competition.

Thanks

hopbet
06-28-2014, 11:59 AM
The 3 horse in that race "Andrus Athena " is dropping from 10k. I'm sure you see the same thing .

FlintAtTheFetlock
06-28-2014, 12:05 PM
The 3 horse in that race "Andrus Athena " is dropping from 10k. I'm sure you see the same thing .

Yes, he's dropping but they gave him a shot at 10k level before this drop so not so immediate is my eyes.

Robert Goren
06-28-2014, 12:11 PM
The purse is 20k . The winner share will be 12-13k the runner gets about 4k. They make about 8K if the horses wins and is claimed. break even or little better if runs second and is claimed. This stuff happens all the time with advent of slot aided purses. If the horse is "live", you won't be getting 5/2 on him. If it goes off at 5/2 or higher, I'd avoid it like the plague. It is probably a horse, I'd avoid at any price. But that is just me being me. I hate this kind of race.

FlintAtTheFetlock
06-28-2014, 12:20 PM
The purse is 20k . The winner share will be 12-13k the runner gets about 4k. They make about 8K if the horses wins and is claimed. break even or little better if runs second and is claimed. This stuff happens all the time with advent of slot aided purses. If the horse is "live", you won't be getting 5/2 on him. If it goes off at 5/2 or higher, I'd avoid it like the plague. It is probably a horse, I'd avoid at any price. But that is just me being me. I hate this kind of race.

YIKES...
I have to pay more attention to Purse amount. I rarely have looked at that assuming they were in line with claiming amount. Foolishness. Thanks for pointing this out.

whodoyoulike
06-28-2014, 03:13 PM
The :2: came in second 5 1/2 lengths ahead of the third place finisher. The :2: was beaten by 1/2 length to the :3: in 72.1 for 6f. Very good handicapping IMO. The $2.00 exacta paid $14.20. The top two were also claimed.

Tom
06-28-2014, 06:25 PM
This is why huge purses for cheap horses is bad for the game.
The horse ran 2nd today and was claimed - so the owner made a couple grand on the deal. The purse today was over 3X the value of the horses.
Ridiculous!