PDA

View Full Version : G1 Gold Cup

Lemon Drop Husker
06-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Game On Dude is back at Santa Anita and will most likely be the huge betting favorite.

However, he is coming into this race losing 4 out of his last 5. Nearly unimaginable to believe such a record for this horse going back to just August of last year.

Thus the question is out there. Is Game On Dude "done", or can we expect to see him round back into form like so many races he has won on this exact Santa Anita strip the last 4 years?

The 1 1/4 mile distance presents an intriguing angle in this race. Especially with regards to Game On Dude.

The entries:

1. Game On Dude: Horse has basically owned Santa Anita outside of some majorly disappointing BC Classic failures. 10 furlongs hasn't been his greatest distance, but he did take down Will Take Charge in the G2 SA Handicap just 3 months ago. Obviously a major player here, but at 4/5 or less, is the price on GOD just too short?

2. Fury Kapcori: This horse couldn't be in better form than he is right now. This is the next logical step in his progression by putting him in a G1 to see what he can do. He has been in the Exacta in his last 6 races, and was beaten by just a half length in his last out against Clubhouse Ride who is another contender in this race. Distance is the big concern as he has never ran 10 panels, and with GOD immediately to his inside, we have a very likely pace duel that could emerge between these two. Gary Stevens in the irons screams overbet to me on this 9/2 ML horse that already seems too low.

3. Clubhouse Ride: The eternal bridesmaid to GOD in a number of races the past 3 to 4 years, CR may be the biggest benefactor of this race being 10 furlongs. Coming in off a monster race and 2 bullet works, CR may be in the best shape of his career and primed to win his first ever G1.

4. Imperative: Just whipped GOD at Charlestown. However, in 3 starts at SA his best effort was a well beaten 2nd on turf in an OC $62.5 race. Hard to lay such low odds on a horse stepping up in class off of a career best race and heading to a track he has had such little success.

5. Salto Del Indio: The first of the foreigners from South America, SDI does have some Grades Stakes experience, albeit quite a notch below the experience of those in this field, and with very moderate success. Gotta like the work tab as it looks like the connections are serious about competing in this one. Distance shouldn't be a concern, and he could be a large part of this one before all is said and done.

6. Majestic Harbor: Interesting entry. Distance won't be an issue for MH, and he is running about as well as he ever has entering this race. Also looks like we'll get a square price on him. He was well beaten by a couple in here last out, but keep in mind that was at 9 panels in which he was gaining. Biggest problem is he has raced against 3 rivals in this race, and wasn't real close to beating any of them.

7. Lideris: Finally broke through in his last out at this distance and in a Graded Stakes race in Peru. Obviously a bit of a wildcard, but I do like that he has raced at the 10 furlong distance in 4 of his last 5 races. Will be watching the tote board intently on this one as he is a very tough read. Love the breeding in this one, and having Peter Miller in the barn makes him a possible live longshot.

Looking hard at :3: for the Win

:3: with :5: :6: :7: in the exotics to try and get a price.

Obvious concern is Game On Dude :1: romping from the front like he has done so many times at Santa Anita.

PaceMasterT
06-28-2014, 12:11 PM
PaceMasterT's 30 second analysis:

Looks like race comes down to if :2: Fury Kapcori can put enough pressure on :1: Game On Dude to compromise his chances. I think there is enough of a probability of that happening that I would play against him. In these longer races, I like horses more toward the front of the pack than the back of the pack which puts me on longshot :6: Majestic Harbor who may have just enough late umph to nip them at the end. Who knows about the invaders?

:6: :1: :3:

Robert Goren
06-28-2014, 12:17 PM
Lemon Drop Husker, I missed your first few posts, so I would like to make a belated welcome to a fellow Lincolnite to the forum.

Robert Goren
06-28-2014, 12:20 PM
:1: GOD eats this field for late afternoon snack.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Lemon Drop Husker, I missed your first few posts, so I would like to make a belated welcome to a fellow Lincolnite to the forum.

Thanks.

Really glad I stumbled onto this place. Seems to be a lot of very knowledgeable people.

Hopefully I can add something to the site. I know I've learned quite a bit by reading others, and have been able to utilize some solid analysis to score a couple of nice tickets on horses I would have otherwise kicked.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-28-2014, 12:22 PM
:1: GOD eats this field for late afternoon snack.

Definitely my fear.

:2: probably isn't good enough to really push GOD, and with no other speed in the race, he could easily wire this field in impressive daylight fashion like he has done so many times at Santa Anita.

Some_One
06-28-2014, 01:04 PM
Looking at Bris, I think they have the Californian wrong, maybe 5 points to high. So it's a two horse race again between the :1: and :4: . Probably no value either way

TMQ
06-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Game On Dude looks tough here.....
Tri
:1: / :6: :7: / :6: :7:
Exb
:1: :6: :7:

Ocala Mike
06-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Going with the new face:

:7: to win
Exacta wheel all/ :7: for the place.

letswastemoney
06-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Imperative ran well in the San Antonio at Santa Anita.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-28-2014, 04:10 PM
Imperative ran well in the San Antonio at Santa Anita.

Against much weaker and had the lead at the top of the stretch and still couldn't get it done.

His next race out he got spanked by GOD.

The :4: beats me, he beats me. He should be 10/1 or more against these, thus he isn't worth the price he'll get. At least in my opinion.

Just don't see the 4 in his 4th career Graded Stakes race with only 3 career wins getting it done in here. At 4 he could be on a huge upswing, but he has to prove he can beat horses of this talent and class more than a single time at Chucky.

Maybe the move to dirt has sparked this guy? Not worth the 4/1 ML risk to me.

letswastemoney
06-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Maybe the move to dirt has sparked this guy?
Well yes. I don't treat turf and dirt racing the same. Some horses are different on different surfaces.

Also, most Bernardini, if they can run at all, will show their best on dirt.

Relwob Owner
06-28-2014, 05:35 PM
If the two can get the lead on GOD or at least make him work, I think GOD can be had today....I like the 4 or 7 to pick up the pieces if it happens

Tom
06-28-2014, 06:30 PM
His next race out he got spanked by GOD.

That is a profound statement! :eek::D

The chart caller should use that one - spanked by GOD!~

precocity
06-28-2014, 06:48 PM
GOD IS THE TRUTH! :cool:

precocity
06-28-2014, 07:10 PM
:1:
:2: :4: :7:
:2: :4: :7:

pele polo
06-28-2014, 07:32 PM
$20 Ex :3: :4: w/ :1: :3: :4:

$10 Tri Bx :1: :3: :4:

$2 Super :1: w/ :3: :4: w/ :2: :3: :4: w/ :2: :3: :4: :5:

Honestly I think the #2 Fury Kapkori is a nice horse, just doubt he's can go the distance.

Hoping that Imperstive is a late developer who's turned over a new leaf. Clubhouse Ride is what he is, as is GOD but I've to try and beat 1/5

Lemon Drop Husker
06-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Game On Dude an early 3/5 chalk. Bettors aren't being scared away from his recent 1 for 5 winning record.

Champ getting much love and respect at the windows.

Clubhouse at 6/1 is whetting my appetite. No way he goes off at such odds.

Tee
06-28-2014, 07:47 PM
:7: Lideris clunking into exotics.

iceknight
06-28-2014, 07:49 PM
:7: Lideris clunking into exotics. I like the Peter Miller is training this one here.
Betting both :3: Clubhouse Ride and :7: Lideris

Win only and betting on Betamerica

----after the race ---
boy did I pick the wrong one.. or should I say, Tyler Baze rode Majestic Harbor really well and pounced at the right moment! The exotics should be crazy on this one!

PaceMasterT
06-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Looks like race comes down to if :2: Fury Kapcori can put enough pressure on :1: Game On Dude to compromise his chances. I think there is enough of a probability of that happening that I would play against him. In these longer races, I like horses more toward the front of the pack than the back of the pack which puts me on longshot :6: Majestic Harbor who may have just enough late umph to nip them at the end. Who knows about the invaders?

BAM!!!! 30 second analysis to a 14-1 shot.

pele polo
06-28-2014, 07:54 PM
I had that pace scenario figured out just never thought it'd be the :6: Majestic Harbor that would capitalize. He could've been 30-1, wouldn't have played him.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-28-2014, 07:55 PM

Nice call on the 6 on top. Cost me every ticket I had other than W/P on the :3:

PaceMasterT
06-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Nice call on the 6 on top. Cost me every ticket I had other than W/P on the :3:

Thanks I've bet way more in same situation where I've lost. That's horse racing.

letswastemoney
06-29-2014, 12:36 AM
All these comments I read on other sites suggesting for Game On Dude to be retired are harsh. I don't even like the horse, but it's clear he's faced poor pace scenarios in his recent losses.

Give him a clear lead, and he can still win any G1 in the country.

PhantomOnTour
06-29-2014, 01:42 AM
All these comments I read on other sites suggesting for Game On Dude to be retired are harsh. I don't even like the horse, but it's clear he's faced poor pace scenarios in his recent losses.

But that's just it, isn't it?
Everyone knows he is basically toast without a clear lead so why let him have one?
They're not giving anything away, esp a clear lead to Game On Dude, hello!

Oxbow was pretty tough with a clear lead too

plainolebill
06-29-2014, 03:15 AM

I agree, Fury has sprinter/miler speed - if he wanted the lead he was going to get it. Game on Dude went ~22 4/5 chasing him.

plainolebill
06-29-2014, 03:27 AM
But that's just it, isn't it?
Everyone knows he is basically toast without a clear lead so why let him have one?
They're not giving anything away, esp a clear lead to Game On Dude, hello!

Oxbow was pretty tough with a clear lead too

The post was about whether the horse should be retired because he got smoked on the front end today. This is nothing new, he's always been vulnerable when he gets pressured early.

JustRalph
06-29-2014, 04:37 AM
Great ride by Tyler Baze..........

I used to love to bet him. Must be all the way back now......... :ThmbUp:

Congrats....!

plainolebill
06-29-2014, 04:55 AM
Tyler seems to be back on top of his game now, glad to see it.

Tampa
06-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Was Eddie Olczyk the one that picked the Gold Cup and the race before it on NBCSN tv yesterday?

senortout
06-29-2014, 03:53 PM
as track announcer from Parx

"hello....1:09 and change for the six furlongs?"

Gary Stephens caused two horses to lose, not just his own.

Plus, Mike Smith could've used the occasion to his advantage, somehow chose not to do so?

Don't tell me, let me guess....Game On Dude is unrateable?

I don't think so. Baffert's influence in this instance in clearly detrimental as well. How often has he stated the importance of GOD getting into the race early? Isn't that a bit inflexible, given the unlikelyhood of his speedy opponent getting the 1.25 miles?

Letting him go scenario, Game On Dude obviously gets the distance, and worst case is he runs second. With the speed fading in front of him(it did) a less brutal fraction or two puts him right in the hunt, irregardless of what anybody tries to tell me. That part is inflexible, sorrry. And taking nothing away from the winner. I considered him briefly as an intelligent wager, which, thinking back, it would have been. All the warning signs were there.