PDA

View Full Version : Security for Belmnt Stakes July 5

Tom
06-27-2014, 03:26 PM
All horses potentially participating in the stakes will be subject to out-of-competition testing and must be on the grounds by noon July 2, according to the protocols. Trainers of horses participating in the races must provide complete veterinary records for three days leading up to the race, and horses will be monitored at all times from their arrival at the track leading up to the races, the announcement said.
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85893/added-security-for-july-5-stakes-at-belmont#ixzz35rxUQHES

This just screams to me that the rest of the week, anything goes.
IT also says they do not trust the horsemen.

Very bad practice, IMHO.

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2014, 01:17 AM
I tend to agree. It always rubs me the wrong way when they announce extra security for stakes races. As if that's supposed to make us all feel better...as you say, what about the rest of the races? The VAST MAJORITY of races?

I think it's a safe assumption that the trainers and owners of high stakes runners are LESS APT to cheat. I guess the track's thinking is that the higher purses might entice MORE cheating...but it's the day-to-day racing among "the regulars" that I think causes the day-to-day fan MORE trepidation.

To me, this amounts to nothing but a worthless stab at some positive PR...

johnhannibalsmith
06-28-2014, 01:36 AM
I'm not even sure the genesis of these ideas revolves around making anyone feel better. About the worst thing that can happen is scandal on a big day or following it and that winds up getting all of the press. These policies on big days seem geared as much towards putting all of the participants on notice that they aren't going to put another big dent in racing with some dumb idea - and then spend a decade fighting it (which big time connections can do better than others) and rehashing it every year when the same annual race comes up again.

egreen
06-28-2014, 10:26 AM
What a joke this is. NYRA announced extra security measures for the Belmont Stakes day then didn't enforce them when Mike Maker brought General A Rod to the paddock late. They claimed cell phone issues contributed to the error, which is even more of a joke since all major productions use walkie talkies for communications.

Relwob Owner
06-28-2014, 11:15 AM
I tend to agree. It always rubs me the wrong way when they announce extra security for stakes races. As if that's supposed to make us all feel better...as you say, what about the rest of the races? The VAST MAJORITY of races?

I think it's a safe assumption that the trainers and owners of high stakes runners are LESS APT to cheat. I guess the track's thinking is that the higher purses might entice MORE cheating...but it's the day-to-day racing among "the regulars" that I think causes the day-to-day fan MORE trepidation.

To me, this amounts to nothing but a worthless stab at some positive PR...

Could not agree more. Funny thing is that if it was an attempt at positive PR, it backfires because common sense dictates the "what about the rest of the races?" response you refer to and ends up being a negative move PR wise.....it is amazing how many things are done in this industry that make no sense at all.

PaceAdvantage
06-28-2014, 12:53 PM
What a joke this is. NYRA announced extra security measures for the Belmont Stakes day then didn't enforce them when Mike Maker brought General A Rod to the paddock late. They claimed cell phone issues contributed to the error, which is even more of a joke since all major productions use walkie talkies for communications.When was the last time trainers were issued walkie talkies? And walkie talkie is so '70s.... :lol: :lol:

Look, this whole General A Rod thing was addressed quite thoroughly by the stewards and is a matter of public record...their explanation was more than satisfactory.

iceknight
06-28-2014, 06:39 PM
When was the last time trainers were issued walkie talkies? And walkie talkie is so '70s.... :lol: :lol:

Look, this whole General A Rod thing was addressed quite thoroughly by the stewards and is a matter of public record...their explanation was more than satisfactory. They are still used. What's more, they actually make the other person listen. it is great for clear communication with no simultaneous overlap talk and missed words and then cellphones get really busy when large crowds are present due to the signal towers getting swamped

Dark Horse
06-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Agree with earlier comments. The stuff that's not said is often far more important than what is said. For those who already took NY racing (Jacobson, Rodriguez) with a grain of salt this wouldn't be anything new.