PDA

View Full Version : War on War on Terror Scores Another

johnhannibalsmith
06-24-2014, 06:49 PM
(Reuters) - The U.S. government's no-fly list banning people accused of links to terrorism from commercial flights violates their constitutional rights because it gives them no meaningful way to contest that decision, a federal judge ruled on Tuesday.

U.S. District Judge Anna Brown, ruling on a lawsuit filed in federal court in Oregon by 13 Muslim Americans who were branded with the no-fly status, ordered the government to come up with new procedures that allow people on the no-fly list to challenge that designation.

"The court concludes international travel is not a mere convenience or luxury in this modern world. Indeed, for many international travel is a necessary aspect of liberties sacred to members of a free society," Brown wrote in her 65-page ruling.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/24/us-usa-noflylist-idUSKBN0EZ2EU20140624

Clocker
06-24-2014, 07:33 PM
The constitutional right to international air travel sounds like quite a stretch. On the other hand, most of the anecdotal stories I have heard about the TSA and the no fly list certainly raise a lot of questions about due process and equal protection under the law. Not to mention doubt about the efficiency and effectiveness of the process. I am not aware of a bad guy ever being caught because of the list.

Yet another argument for privatization of airport security.

boxcar
06-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Funny how air travel is suddenly some kind of right, while driving an automobile here in this country is a mere privilege.

Boxcar

Tom
06-24-2014, 11:29 PM
If all the lawyers were laid end to end.....then we could start on the judges.

OntheRail
06-25-2014, 12:58 AM
Fine let them fly out of the country.... just not back in. ;)

All this PC BS is gonna come back to haunt us one day... Israelis have it right profile to protect.

Clocker
06-25-2014, 01:27 AM
Hard to know from a news article what the judge really said. If the judge did in fact talk about a right to fly, that is nonsense.

If the judge said that a no-fly list is unconstitutional, that is nonsense.

If the judge said that the no-fly list as currently administered by the TSA violates constitutional rights, I would tend to agree. All evidence I have seen is that the TSA violates rights involving equal protection under the law, due process, presumption of innocence, and the right of a citizen to petition the government for a redress of grievance. Anecdotal evidence indicates that the list is a morass of red-tape, difficult if not impossible to escape, trapping little old ladies and 5 year old kids.

Robert Goren
06-25-2014, 08:45 AM
The constitutional right to international air travel sounds like quite a stretch. On the other hand, most of the anecdotal stories I have heard about the TSA and the no fly list certainly raise a lot of questions about due process and equal protection under the law. Not to mention doubt about the efficiency and effectiveness of the process. I am not aware of a bad guy ever being caught because of the list.

Yet another argument for privatization of airport security.Ain't going to happen anytime soon because of what happen on 9/11 when we had private companies doing airport security. All the great grandmothers (and others) being padded down by the TSA is not going to overcome that argument.

Clocker
06-25-2014, 10:03 AM
A number of US airports use private security today. They generally rate much better than TSA in term of effectiveness, efficiency and customer service. Many more airports want to switch to private security, but the law says that private security operations must be approved by the TSA, and TSA does everything in its power to stop changes.

Robert Goren
06-25-2014, 10:25 AM
A number of US airports use private security today. They generally rate much better than TSA in term of effectiveness, efficiency and customer service. Many more airports want to switch to private security, but the law says that private security operations must be approved by the TSA, and TSA does everything in its power to stop changes.And it is cheaper. They know they are not going to be held accountable if another 9/11 happens if they go cheap just like no one in airport security or airport management was held accountable for letting the 9/11 hijackers on the planes.

Clocker
06-25-2014, 10:53 AM
They know they are not going to be held accountable if another 9/11 happens if they go cheap

Private firms are less expensive because they are more efficient. One example, private firms use part time workers to meet peak demand times. TSA does not use part timers. As a result, they are either understaffed at peak times or they are greatly overstaffed at off peak times.

Do you really believe that a private firm that allows a major security breech won't be crucified?

Robert Goren
06-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Private firms are less expensive because they are more efficient. One example, private firms use part time workers to meet peak demand times. TSA does not use part timers. As a result, they are either understaffed at peak times or they are greatly overstaffed at off peak times.

Do you really believe that a private firm that allows a major security breech won't be crucified?They weren't after 9/11. Or did I miss that security firm's CEO going to jail?

Clocker
06-25-2014, 03:52 PM
They weren't after 9/11. Or did I miss that security firm's CEO going to jail?

Nobody went to jail then because the security firms were all part of the vast right-wing conspiracy that was behind 9/11. Cheney and Rumsfeld were big time secret investors in security firms and used their influence to get them the contracts at the appropriate airports.

Robert Goren
06-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Nobody went to jail then because the security firms were all part of the vast right-wing conspiracy that was behind 9/11. Cheney and Rumsfeld were big time secret investors in security firms and used their influence to get them the contracts at the appropriate airports.Gee and I thought it was the fault of the liberals and Billy Clinton who personally approved the visas of the terrorists.

Tom
06-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Gee and I thought it was the fault of the liberals and Billy Clinton who personally approved the visas of the terrorists.

It was Billy's fault - he is a founding father of Al Qeda.
He let OSB go, he allowed Al Qeda to grow and mature during his massage parlor term. A union boy at Logan allowed a death pilot team to board.

Clocker
06-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Gee and I thought it was the fault of the liberals and Billy Clinton who personally approved the visas of the terrorists.

Clinton was just a tool, used as a smoke screen by Cheney and Wolfowitz.

Liberals aren't smart enough to devise such an insidious conspiracy and keep it secret all these years. They can't even make a few emails go away without turning it into a major media train wreck.