PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Rider Tragedy at Woodbine

bobbyb
06-24-2014, 07:40 AM
http://www.citynews.ca/2014/06/24/jockey-killed-in-accident-at-woodbine-racetrack/

Not much else to report at this time. Prayers to the family,

bobby

rastajenk
06-24-2014, 08:15 AM
Why would Peel Paramedics feel compelled to tweet that?

HoofedInTheChest
06-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Sad news indeed.

From what i have herd it was an exercise rider, and his name has not been released until the family has been notified. The horse freaked out while galloping and landed on top of the rider causing a head injury. The horse has died as well.

Thoughts and prayers to the family of the rider. RIP

lamboguy
06-24-2014, 09:16 AM
very sad, my heart goes out to his family

HoofedInTheChest
06-24-2014, 09:28 AM
The exercise rider was Mourad Boudra, my apologies for my last post.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/06/24/jockey_dies_after_being_crushed_by_horse_at_woodbi ne_racetrack.html

CryingForTheHorses
06-24-2014, 09:57 AM
Very sad,You get up in the morning,Never knowing what the day will bring.Very sad this guy risking his life everyday on the back of these skittish beautiful animals.Condolances to all of his family and friends.Condolances to the owners and trainer of this horse who also died. :(

Redboard
06-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Tragic. So sad. I understand T-Breds are skidderish and will sometimes run through a barn door for no reason, but how can a young horse have a heart attack, which is what the article suggests, if it weren’t for the drugs that are given them? I mean, does this happen in nature?

HoofedInTheChest
06-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Tragic. So sad. I understand T-Breds are skidderish and will sometimes run through a barn door for no reason, but how can a young horse have a heart attack, which is what the article suggests, if it weren’t for the drugs that are given them? I mean, does this happen in nature?
It is all speculation until a necropsy is performed. For all we know the horse could have had a heart defect, so i wouldn't be so quick to point my finger at drugs being the culprit, nor do we know if it was actually a heart attack.

Tawney's Wish had no medication listed in her one and only start, and she finished in last place.

nijinski
06-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Condolences to the loved ones of the exercise rider tragic .

HoofedInTheChest
06-25-2014, 01:34 PM
I have a question for Tom Schell.

In your opinion, or i should say, in your methods, is it normal to workout a horse two days in a row?

If you breezed a horse at 4F one day, what is your routine with the horse the very next day?

CryingForTheHorses
06-26-2014, 09:58 AM
I have a question for Tom Schell.

In your opinion, or i should say, in your methods, is it normal to workout a horse two days in a row?

If you breezed a horse at 4F one day, what is your routine with the horse the very next day?

I dont know what other trrainers willl do but I would walk him/her the next day,The day after that,I would jog a mile.No its not normal to work a horse 2 days in a row but have seen it done.Why?..Maybe the horse has a real slow time,Maybe something happened during the first work,But if he did work a 1/2 mile and made time,I see no reason to do it the 2nd day in a row.Hope this helps!
ps//Love that avatar!!

HoofedInTheChest
06-26-2014, 01:40 PM
I dont know what other trrainers willl do but I would walk him/her the next day,The day after that,I would jog a mile.No its not normal to work a horse 2 days in a row but have seen it done.Why?..Maybe the horse has a real slow time,Maybe something happened during the first work,But if he did work a 1/2 mile and made time,I see no reason to do it the 2nd day in a row.Hope this helps!
ps//Love that avatar!!
Thanks for the reply Tom.

The reason i ask is, Tawney’s Wish was breezed the day before the accident, she ran 4F at 49.80. There are a few pissed off people on the backstretch at Woodbine, and understandably so. Their response was very similar to your own, this filly should have been walked the very next day, not galloping on the sand ring.

We can’t say with certainty if this was the reason for the accident, and there could be other reasons for the outcome, but unfortunately there are children without a father today, very tragic for the rider and the filly.

CryingForTheHorses
06-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the reply Tom.

The reason i ask is, Tawney’s Wish was breezed the day before the accident, she ran 4F at 49.80. There are a few pissed off people on the backstretch at Woodbine, and understandably so. Their response was very similar to your own, this filly should have been walked the very next day, not galloping on the sand ring.

We can’t say with certainty if this was the reason for the accident, and there could be other reasons for the outcome, but unfortunately there are children without a father today, very tragic for the rider and the filly.

What you now saying is 2 different things,Yes the filly worked in 49 and change and you telling me the filly went to the sand ring the next day,Going to the sand ring isnt breezing and I have worked for trainers that sometimes took their horse to the sand ring at Belmont to jog them because either they were nervous or unruly the next day or just to let them out of the barn for a bit.My guess was either one of the following and the skittish filly was a bit of a handful.Im sure bad intentions were never meant on this horse.Horses are funny creatures and what doent bother them today will spook them tomorrow. Also please remember this,You can take a horse out of his stall and walk him around the shed and he can have a heart attack,They are living things.Please dont get the agenda that abuse was involved.Im sure the rider knew the filly,What she was like and knew getting on these animals has its risks. Its a shame yes and very sad for his family.
The english trainers quite often take their horses out for a jog the day after a breeze!!

Trips
06-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Times sure have changed. When i was coming up it was not uncommon to work the day before a race.

HoofedInTheChest
06-26-2014, 06:40 PM
What you now saying is 2 different things,Yes the filly worked in 49 and change and you telling me the filly went to the sand ring the next day,Going to the sand ring isnt breezing and I have worked for trainers that sometimes took their horse to the sand ring at Belmont to jog them because either they were nervous or unruly the next day or just to let them out of the barn for a bit.My guess was either one of the following and the skittish filly was a bit of a handful.Im sure bad intentions were never meant on this horse.Horses are funny creatures and what doent bother them today will spook them tomorrow. Also please remember this,You can take a horse out of his stall and walk him around the shed and he can have a heart attack,They are living things.Please dont get the agenda that abuse was involved.Im sure the rider knew the filly,What she was like and knew getting on these animals has its risks. Its a shame yes and very sad for his family.
The english trainers quite often take their horses out for a jog the day after a breeze!!
I have no agenda really, i’m just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing, it’s curiosity more than anything. I’m not the one implying anything here, i don’t know enough about training horses to have an opinion, but it’s the reactions from other trainers that have me wondering.

I have a few friends that work on the backstretch, and after talking to them they told me a few well known trainers and owners aren’t happy about the whole thing, it could just be a reaction to losing someone they care about, it’s human nature. There could be some history with said trainer, i don’t know, he has really never been on my radar as far as handicapping goes.

From what i understand, the initial workout was on the sand ring, and the filly was on the same sand ring the next morning working out, not jogging, according to some trainers that were in attendance. I don’t know the first thing about training horses, and that’s why i turned to you, you have a history of putting the horses best interest first.

CryingForTheHorses
06-27-2014, 09:42 AM
I have no agenda really, i’m just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing, it’s curiosity more than anything. I’m not the one implying anything here, i don’t know enough about training horses to have an opinion, but it’s the reactions from other trainers that have me wondering.

I have a few friends that work on the backstretch, and after talking to them they told me a few well known trainers and owners aren’t happy about the whole thing, it could just be a reaction to losing someone they care about, it’s human nature. There could be some history with said trainer, i don’t know, he has really never been on my radar as far as handicapping goes.

From what i understand, the initial workout was on the sand ring, and the filly was on the same sand ring the next morning working out, not jogging, according to some trainers that were in attendance. I don’t know the first thing about training horses, and that’s why i turned to you, you have a history of putting the horses best interest first.

I understand..First thing,The filly could never workout on the sand ring as its too small and doesnt have any poles or a clocker there.Im sure the workout was either on the training track or the main track,Yes its very sad and people are always going to say this and that..It was a accident period. Just a treeible thing for all involved.