PDA

View Full Version : Just watched "Lone Survivor"

PaceAdvantage
06-24-2014, 02:31 AM
So how true to actual events was this movie? Really makes you stand in awe at the balls and bravery of the men and women who wear the uniform and are dropped into these hornet's nests from hell...the way it made me think at the end and the way it made me feel, I have to say it was a damn good movie, despite Marky Mark in the leading role (truth be told, he fit the part, wasn't a distraction, and did a pretty good job).

Shelby
06-24-2014, 10:25 AM
My husband read the book (he is NOT a reader AT ALL) and he LOVED it. I've never seen him sit and read like he did until now. He liked the movie, too, but he highly suggests reading the book.

johnhannibalsmith
06-24-2014, 10:31 AM
I too have the book sitting here and have had no desire to read it. Maybe I will after all if it seems to be a consensus, if a small one, that it is good reading. Thanks.

FantasticDan
06-24-2014, 11:11 AM
I saw it last weekend, my wife says it's pretty much the only war movie she's ever "liked". ;)

This site does a good job of describing what really happened vs what the film dramatized:

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/lone-survivor.php

JustRalph
06-24-2014, 12:11 PM
I read the book. Don't want to ruin it by viewing the movie. Not a fan of Marky Mark.

My wife read it in a day. Surprised me that she picked it up at all. She's normally a romance novel type

PaceAdvantage
06-24-2014, 02:28 PM
I read the book. Don't want to ruin it by viewing the movie. Not a fan of Marky Mark.

My wife read it in a day. Surprised me that she picked it up at all. She's normally a romance novel typeWell, from someone who hasn't read the book, I thought it was a very good movie all around, including Mr. W.

forced89
06-24-2014, 02:50 PM
I held off watching it at the theater. My Son, an Iraq vet, saw it at the theater and liked it so much he bought the "Home Viewing Package" which for something like $17.95 gave him a Blu Ray disc, a DVD, and Digital Access. He kept the Blu Ray disc, gave me the the DVD and gave a Marine buddy of his the Digital Access.

ManU918
06-24-2014, 04:42 PM
I think it's funny that in 2014 some people don't want to give Wahlberg the credit he deserves. The guy has done some great work (Boogie Nights, Three Kings, Italian Job, Invincible, Departed, Fighter, Ted). He's come a long way from Good Vibrations and honestly he was a perfect fit for this role.

Good movie... I like that Peter Berg used some of the actors from Friday Night Lights...

JustRalph
06-24-2014, 04:59 PM
I think it's funny that in 2014 some people don't want to give Wahlberg the credit he deserves. The guy has done some great work (Boogie Nights, Three Kings, Italian Job, Invincible, Departed, Fighter, Ted). He's come a long way from Good Vibrations and honestly he was a perfect fit for this role.

Good movie... I like that Peter Berg used some of the actors from Friday Night Lights...

You can cheer for a criminal if you want. I'll pass.........

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/01/mark-wahlberg-was-a-drug-dealer-and-was-charged-with-attempted-murder-before-forming-marky-mark-and-the-funky-bunch/

ManU918
06-24-2014, 05:14 PM
You can cheer for a criminal if you want. I'll pass.........

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/01/mark-wahlberg-was-a-drug-dealer-and-was-charged-with-attempted-murder-before-forming-marky-mark-and-the-funky-bunch/

I'm not cheering for anyone, it's a movie. Same goes for Danny Trejo or Robert Blake... Just because I watch their films and respect the work they do doesn't mean I like them on a personal level. Being from the Dallas area and all i'm sure you're a sports fan and cheer/have cheered for players on teams that have been labeled as criminals.

johnhannibalsmith
06-24-2014, 05:20 PM
The one example in a hundred of a guy that made the most of his incarceration. I never liked the guy at all until I read that article.

Relwob Owner
06-24-2014, 07:35 PM

I thought the movie was terrific. Totally agree about Wahlberg. He isn't Marky Mark anymore and is a pretty damn good actor in my opinion. Also agree about Berg.....the background music and feel of the movie definitely reminded me of Friday Night Lights, which I thought was a great show.

dartman51
06-24-2014, 07:48 PM
The one example in a hundred of a guy that made the most of his incarceration. I never liked the guy at all until I read that article.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: I agree. I applaud his turning his life around. So many don't.

FantasticDan
06-24-2014, 08:08 PM
How can you not like Wahlberg? He's even good with animals :D

https://screen.yahoo.com/mark-wahlberg-talks-animals-000000362.html

Shelby
06-24-2014, 08:23 PM
I was born in '74 so I'm right in the genre of Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch. He isn't that guy anymore. I know he has a record, but he's waaaaay past that IMO. I like his movies. He's got talent.