PDA

View Full Version : What about a 5f Workout?

Nosed
06-23-2014, 10:24 PM
When horses are moving from sprints up to the routes I like to see a recent 5 f workout. At least it indicates a serious effort by the team. Even if they've been running routes it's still nice to see a 5f w.o. I know some trainers like to use a race as a workout, but I wonder if this practice might get a horse used to finishing mid pack?... any opinions?

PhantomOnTour
06-23-2014, 11:23 PM
I have one hard and fast rule regarding 5f works.
Except for about 2-3 trainers, I will not bet a first time starter without one.

Stillriledup
06-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Workouts and intent is pretty important, but i would say that generally, 5F works are recorded on horses who are trying to get fit and not horses who are fit and ready. If a horse is race ready, he's not going to be working 5F, he's going to be working 3s and 4s slowly to stay sharp. 5F works are normally done by horses who are coming back...that's why you won't usually see a 5F work on a horse who is entered to go as his last work, its usually a slowish 3 or a slowish and breezing 4.

sammy the sage
06-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Workouts and intent is pretty important, but i would say that generally, 5F works are recorded on horses who are trying to get fit and not horses who are fit and ready. If a horse is race ready, he's not going to be working 5F, he's going to be working 3s and 4s slowly to stay sharp. 5F works are normally done by horses who are coming back...that's why you won't usually see a 5F work on a horse who is entered to go as his last work, its usually a slowish 3 or a slowish and breezing 4.

guess you ain't lost any money betting against Baffert then.. :lol: :faint: :rolleyes: