PDA

View Full Version : Belmont Park "Live": 06/22/2014

Teach
06-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Be back in fifteen minutes with my first race picks.

Teach

Teach
06-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Race One:

“When you’re hot, you’re hot…” I’m going to stick with the hot hand, Irad Ortiz, Jr., “The Puerto Rican Petardo”. Five winners on yesterday’s card. In fact, Saturday at Belmont was the: “Irad Ortiz, Jr. & Javier Castellano Show”. They combined for eight of the ten winners on the card.

Thus, I’m leaning toward :4: Lateen with the aforementioned Ortiz, Jr. in the irons. The DRF says: “Beaten by weaker.” Actually the Kingmambo-bred beat weaker in his only start but was disqualified and placed last. Did take some action at the windows in that one, just a tad better than 4-1.

Moreover, I see a possible “inside” speed duel between #s 1, 2, and 3. Question: Can :1: Magsamelia, ML 2-1, run as well on a dry surface as she did on a wet one; she’s definitely got wet-track breeding. :2: : Silver Union should be out a winging. How much will she be tested by the horse to her inside? She appears to have the speed to outrun Megsamelia. If she clears? On the other hand:, if not: Speed Duel! Then, if that happens, as Tony Soprano would oft say: “Fuhgettaboutit!” :3: Julie Napp should also be out and going; yet I don’t think she has the speed to contend with the two fillies to her inside.

That leaves us with the “Outside Three”. I’ve already cited how I feel about :4: Lateen. Then, there’s :5: Letsgotovegas (I love the name). The first-time starter intrigues me. The Indian Charlie-bred has 16% Sire wins with first-time starters. Trainer Mike Mareina is very good with first-time starters (24%). However, the filly’s morning work-tab is mediocre. We’ll soon see.

Finally, :6: Blisstering Strike is my “enigma” horse. “Does she, or doesn’t she?” I’m not talking about Clairol. I’m talkin’ ‘bout a dry racetrack. I’m tempted to throw out her last. If she doesn’t take a right turn and end up in Floral Park, I think this Curlin-bred filly might be “the sleeper”. I’m gonna take a look at her tote action. Even a hint of interest is going to embolden me to use her. The veteran Karl Grusmark trains; I remember him as one of the leading trainers at Suffolk Downs. One thing about Grusmark, he had the knack of training a longshot winner when you least expected it.

Picks: :4: , :5: , :2: , :1:

Teach
06-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Race Two:

:7: Sea Trial is my pick here. I think the "Shug" McGaughey trainee will handle the lawn quite well, thank you. If you're playing exotics: :1a: , :2: , :6:

Teach
06-22-2014, 02:14 PM
Race Three:

:1: Much Stronger

Also: :2: , :6: