PDA

View Full Version : Bris Handicapping Contest

bettheoverlay
04-24-2004, 10:31 AM
A real strange variety of races for a contest. An awful maiden claimer from Philly Park is bad enough, but the finale is a Mountaineer claimer with 10 horses beaten by an average of 20 lengths in their last race.

Gotta look for my dart board.

cato
04-24-2004, 11:20 AM
yep, the MNR race is about as painfully ugly as they come (and I nomally like ugly races). Its hard to choose a paceline when they all are beaten by 10-30 lengths.

While I alwasy appreciate a free contest that gives out money, I really dislike having to handicap a mostly crappy assortment of races from NINE --count 'em -- 9 different tracks. I would much prefer it if the races can from 2-3 tracks so you (I) could get in some sort of handicapping rhythm.

The YouBet contests that were ru for the last 4 weeks or so was a great set up--bet a minimum of 10 races in two days from the same track, with an almost real time leader board--it was great!

Cato

cj
04-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Anyone care to post their picks in the selections forum? I'll start a thread if anyone is interested.

JimL
04-24-2004, 03:24 PM
When I looked at the Mnr, race I got the strange feeling that this would be the first race ever where no one could win! Look in the dictionary under UGLY, it would say the 10th at MNR. JimL

cj
04-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Its the 3rd at Mnr, the 10th in the contest...just want to make sure you are looking at the right "ugly" race...LOL.

JimL
04-24-2004, 03:47 PM
CJ, Sorry, after looking at it I passed out. When I woke up I was still terrified! JimL

bettheoverlay
04-24-2004, 08:12 PM
Steady stream of rather low priced winners. I was lucky to pick 3 including the MNR race I dissed earlier. You never know in this crazy game. Maybe I should start looking for races where everybody lost by 20 lengths.

Whoever is leading the contest probably had the 99-1 place horse at CD who paid $57.

blind squirrel
04-24-2004, 08:25 PM
i love the BRIS contest,however,no races from CD
on sunday???what's up with that?

TB{2} DEL{2] TUP{1} MTN{1}

what's the deal, couldn't they have carded
black ruby and taz??

WINMANWIN
04-24-2004, 11:23 PM
I personally didn't enter the contest, but bris is getting on my nerves lately, I think I have to place my wagers via phone with them from now on. I thought once I upgraded my computer, it would make a difference, as sometimes the web connection is slow, the wagers time out, etc. I have a new dell 8300 thats loaded to the gills, and its the same as the old clunker pc. Yesterday It cost me a press on the pick4 at Aqueduct, I had to call the wager in via phone, and when I told the clerk to press the bet, the race was off, So I did HIT it, but BIG DEAL.......figures if it was a loser, the gate would have opened 3 seconds later and it would have lost:rolleyes: I know they have congestion at times, but I'm just gonna use the phone, I cant deal with it anymore......I do have regular dial-up and I'm sure that may be a factor somewhat. Any of you cappers HAVE similar Problems ? :confused:

schweitz
04-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Most likely your dial-up---I have wireless broadband and almost never have a problem.

cato
04-25-2004, 03:42 AM
Its your dial up. I have cable and have no problems

Your life will be better after you get a faster connection

Take care, Cato

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2004, 04:44 AM
I was having trouble today fooling around with my new brisbet account. I got more than one server error while trying to make a bet and/or read the toteboard.....

Isn't BrisBet just a shell for America Tab, or is BrisBet actually running the wagering business off of BRIS servers, which would then likely be impacted by the running of this weekend's contest.....curious minds would like to know....

Zman179
04-25-2004, 08:32 AM
It's AmericaTab Pace. They also run TSNBet, Winticket and BetHarness among others.

formula_2002
04-25-2004, 08:41 PM
finished 104th , $115.70

44% profit.. not too bad for a guy who says you can't beat this game!!

Niko
04-26-2004, 12:36 AM
Nice Placing.
I finished 228 with $105. Had to go with some longshots that didn't make it.
It's soooo tough to win these I almost don't like to take the extra time to do them. Winner had 7 of 10 on Sunday.

cj
04-26-2004, 03:44 AM
I took a nap and woke up too late to make selections for Sunday. Given my Saturday performance, I don't think it would have mattered.

Milleruszk
04-26-2004, 12:34 PM
I would up in 12th place on Sunday but I was 1000+ on Saturday so my cumulative was in in the 160s. Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda on Saturday!

Tom

Jeff P
04-26-2004, 01:36 PM
I had a fairly decent day on Sunday. Three winners and two seconds. Not good enough to compete in this thing. Ended up 144th on the day.

Which brings me to my point: Look at the leader board. In an event like this, where you are not allowed to pick your own spots I find it utterly amazing the number of players who did so well.

I know that the number of profitable bettors out there is a very small segment of the population of players as a whole. My mythical ending contest bankroll for the two days was $95.80. I'm proud to say that I had 5 winners from 20 races. I turned a profit of $13.40 on $40.00 on the win end. That's a 33 percent roi. I have to be happy with cashing a few tickets and grinding out a profit over the two days because that kind of performance will never win this kind of contest.

How in the world did those who actually competed for this thing do as well as they did? Was it just a matter of luck? Was it because thousands of players entered this thing and from a law of averages standpoint some of the entries simply had to perform as well as they did? Or are there that many other players out there who are simply head and shoulders better than I am? And if so, what are the factors that they are using that I am not?

In my free time this week, I plan to take a hard look at the races where I was flat wrong in the hopes of improving my game.

formula_2002
04-26-2004, 01:46 PM
"How in the world did those who actually competed for this thing do as well as they did? Was it just a matter of luck? "

No. Most likley just a very probable result.
As long a horse wins the race, so will some person.

Dont get your hopes up.

Joe M

El Paso B
04-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Does anyone know how many people signed up for the contest?

I ended up around #450, but have no idea of 450 out of how many.

Sent an e-mail to BRIS requesting the number, but they never responded.:D