PDA

View Full Version : Blame's baby romps @ SA 1st

TheEdge07
06-19-2014, 06:33 PM
Caval (Blame) romps in a good looking debut $4.20

tanner12oz
06-19-2014, 07:21 PM
We were just talking about blame babies the other day on here...will make sure I stable mail this one

classhandicapper
06-20-2014, 09:18 AM
I read in Bloodhorse a couple of months ago that Blame's first crop looked really good. It doesn't surprise me. IMO, he was a very underrated as a horse.

1. 9-13 lifetime

2. Never off the board

3. 3 Time Grade 1 Winner

4. BC Classic Winner

5. Winner on Dirt and Synth

6. Winner from 7F to 10F

7. A couple of extremely fast game finishes to get up late when he looked beaten

8. Beat Zenyatta

9. Retired while still seemingly improving

The only thing he never did was put up a really fast Beyer. However, he raced in what I call the "post steroids" era. Whether it be a figure issue or a steroid and better drug testing issue (I do not know), the Beyer PAR for Grade 1 races for males has been running between 4-6 points lower (depending on the period you compare it to) than the historical record since 2009 . I don't think it's a "horse" issue. I think if you tack on 4-6 Beyer points to Blame's best races it will give you a better idea of where he ranks historically.

cj
06-20-2014, 09:25 AM
8. Beat Zenyatta

10. Robbed of Horse of the Year.

classhandicapper
06-20-2014, 09:50 AM
10. Robbed of Horse of the Year.

You know my opinion.

I would have voted for Blame for HOTY if I had a vote, but I think Zenyatta was the better horse that day. I don't think minor trip differences and lifetime achievement awards should decide Eclipse Awards. He won. He deserved the award. I'm just happy it looks like he's going to be a successful sire. It will help him get the credit he deserves as a racehorse.

Lemon Drop Husker
06-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Love me some Blame. Was at the Breeders Cup in 2010 screaming my lungs out as he and Zenyatta were coming down the stretch. We felt evil as there were some people in the stands crying after Zenyatta lost and we were cheering Blame's win.

Very underrated horse that didn't get near the respect he deserved. Great to see him rearing some winners.

biggestal99
06-20-2014, 09:00 PM
quality road will be a much better sire.

Never beat Blame on the racetrack however he will exact his revenge in the breeding shed

Allan

Lemon Drop Husker
06-20-2014, 09:12 PM

Never beat Blame on the racetrack however he will exact his revenge in the breeding shed

Allan

Now why you gotta go and rain on Blame's parade like that? :)

TheEdge07
06-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Another Blame firster makes his debut today at Churchill-

4th-#6 Conquest ArchAngel worked a bullet on June 16 (350k)
#8 Take Charge Brandi worked a bullet on June 15 (435k) Lukas firster Giants Causeway.
Ill keep my eye on the #1 Mizzen Money

@ Santa Anita 7th- Juvenile Stakes some impressive debut winners.
Also The Landaluce for 2 year fillies f.ollows

Thebigguy
06-22-2014, 08:42 PM
I read in Bloodhorse a couple of months ago that Blame's first crop looked really good. It doesn't surprise me. IMO, he was a very underrated as a horse.

1. 9-13 lifetime

2. Never off the board

3. 3 Time Grade 1 Winner

4. BC Classic Winner

5. Winner on Dirt and Synth

6. Winner from 7F to 10F

7. A couple of extremely fast game finishes to get up late when he looked beaten

8. Beat Zenyatta

The only thing he never did was put up a really fast Beyer. However, he raced in what I call the "post steroids" era. Whether it be a figure issue or a steroid and better drug testing issue (I do not know), the Beyer PAR for Grade 1 races for males has been running between 4-6 points lower (depending on the period you compare it to) than the historical record since 2009 . I don't think it's a "horse" issue. I think if you tack on 4-6 Beyer points to Blame's best races it will give you a better idea of where he ranks historically.

lol....
Beat Zenyatta is relevant how?

Stillriledup
06-22-2014, 08:43 PM
lol....
Beat Zenyatta is relevant how?

Maybe beating a horse of the year is a big deal?

Thebigguy
06-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Another Blame firster makes his debut today at Churchill-

4th-#6 Conquest ArchAngel worked a bullet on June 16 (350k)
#8 Take Charge Brandi worked a bullet on June 15 (435k) Lukas firster Giants Causeway.
Ill keep my eye on the #1 Mizzen Money

@ Santa Anita 7th- Juvenile Stakes some impressive debut winners.
Also The Landaluce for 2 year fillies f.ollows

Lukas has a good one.

Thebigguy
06-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Maybe beating a horse of the year is a big deal?

Its irrelevant IMO. I guess for HOY or whatever, but not for being a sire. Blame was really good, I agree. He was super sharp when he gunned Quality Road down on the money in the Whitney, but Zenyatta was the better horse.

Thebigguy
06-22-2014, 08:48 PM

Allan

Loved Quality Road, but not sure thats true. I would have thought Eskendereya was a slam dunk to be a super sire. Word is his babies have looked like shit.

Thebigguy
06-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Baffert just had a Tale of the Cat baby break her maiden in a small stakes race. Went faster then the boys in the previous race.

classhandicapper
06-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Its irrelevant IMO. I guess for HOY or whatever, but not for being a sire. Blame was really good, I agree. He was super sharp when he gunned Quality Road down on the money in the Whitney, but Zenyatta was the better horse.

I was only talking about my opinion that he is underrated as a horse. I listed his accomplishments to make the case. Whether he turns into a top sire or not, we don't know yet. All I know is that I read his first crop looked very good.

I am hoping he does turn out to be a top sire because then maybe his career will get re-examined. My feeling now is that most people think he was the best of a mediocre group. But that opinion is based on speed figures that IMO are not comparable to the past. Speed figures for top horses have generally been lower the last few years (possibly due to better testing, lack of steroids, etc...)