PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Bookmarks to a new computer

Tom
06-19-2014, 03:37 PM
I want to transfer all my bookmarks from FF to my new computer.
I looked it up on the web how to do it, and it is very simple.
Except one thing, the stuff everyone tells you to do can't be done becasue the options are not there.

They say click on Bookmarks, then export them to a file, then move the file, then import them. Easy. But there are no export or import option anywhere under book marks. On my computer at home, the one at work....nothing. One site says look under Organize Bookmarks, another says look under Show All bookmarks......nadda. No Organize BMs anywhere, and nothing under Show All BMs.

JustCoolGene
06-19-2014, 04:03 PM
In FireFox, go to "Show All Bookmarks" located under the Bookmarks option on the Menu Bar.
You will see an Import and Export option at the top of the screen.

If you don't have the Menu Bar at the top of FireFox, go to the Home Button located on the upper far right side and right-click to see all Menu Bar options. Just click on the Menu Bar option.

Gene

KyRacer
06-19-2014, 04:45 PM
You can also try (Ctrl+Shift+B) to being up the bookmarks. Then click the "Import and Backup" button. That should show the menu with Import and Export functions.

sammy the sage
06-20-2014, 07:03 AM
call the IRS...... :lol: :D

just kidding... ;)

Tom
06-20-2014, 11:07 AM
That worked guys - thanks.

(The show all bookmarks, not the IRS! :lol: )

Canarsie
06-20-2014, 11:09 AM
This is the easiest tool to backup and transfer almost all your important data including bookmarks and passwords. You have the OPTION to back up what you want it has helped me more than once and is quite easy to use.

After you create the .pcv file my advice would e to take it offline and put it on two different external sources like pen and or usb drives.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

hcap
06-20-2014, 12:28 PM
There is a built in utility in windows 7 that makes transferring all data, settings (bookmarks) and file structure from XP to windows 7 machines. I used it seamlessly to go from win7 to win 7 machines.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

"If your old PC isn't running Windows 7, you'll need to install the appropriate version of Windows Easy Transfer."

DJofSD
06-20-2014, 03:20 PM
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-update-to-the-new-firefox-sync?esab=a&s=sync&r=1&as=s

This is a feature Mozilla added a while ago. It allows you to use their service to cache bookmarks and to keep all of your systems in sync.

So, Tom, what you can do is to create an account using the old PC. Go to the new PC and access the account then let 'em get the bookmarks in sync.

Another way is to use the Xmarks add on but I can not recommend it too strongly. It use to be the way I kept things up to date but then it seemed to have some problems I could not figure out. That's when I discovered the Mozilla old style sync and switched over to it.

GL