PDA

View Full Version : Ridgling

Actor
06-17-2014, 03:09 PM
In BRIS files there is a field for 'sex' which is a single character. Usually this is C,F,G,H or M, meaning Colt, Filly, Gelding, Horse or Mare respectively. But occasionally there is an R. What is an R?

Grits
06-17-2014, 03:10 PM
Ridgling

horses4courses
06-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Ridgling......colt with at least one undescended testicle

You had to ask....... ;)

Actor
06-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Ridgling......colt with at least one undescended testicle

You had to ask....... ;)You don't ask, you don't learn. I thought there might be something wrong with my program.

Thanks to both of you.

horses4courses
06-17-2014, 05:27 PM
You don't ask, you don't learn. I thought there might be something wrong with my program.

Thanks to both of you.

I don't blame you for asking.
The answer required a bit of discretion, though. :)

tanner12oz
06-17-2014, 07:51 PM
Because we are on the topic..can ridgelings go to stud?

Longshot6977
06-17-2014, 08:19 PM
Because we are on the topic..can ridgelings go to stud?

Found this informative answer on the internet. Yes, you could breed him and produce a foal. But would it be the best idea? He is either a monorchid, meaning he developed only one testicle, or a cryptorchid, meaning he developed both testicles but only one descended into the scrotal sac. The remaining testicle could be retained within the abdominal cavity above the inguinal ring, or trapped within the inguinal canal, or actually be an ectopic cryptorchid with the remaining testicle located just beneath the skin, outside of the inguinal canal, but not within the scrotum.
At two, the crypted testicle will not descend on its own.
All cryptorchids and monorchids are considered to be genetically predisposed and not recommended as breeding stock.
The problem is that to geld this horse will be an invasive surgical procedure as opposed to a simple castration. The degree of surgical invasion depends on the location of the undescended testicle. But castration is what would be recommended based on the genetic predisposition to cryptorchism making him undesirable as a stud, and to render him usable as a gelding.
You can certainly identify quality in a two year old, which is done every day. That combined with records of the sire and dam go into determining quality. But this inherited tendency is considered to be undesirable and is looked upon as a contraindication to keeping him at stud.

Frost king
06-17-2014, 09:12 PM
AP INDY was one

Shemp Howard
06-17-2014, 09:22 PM
So was Funny Cide before it was decided to geld him.

2013 Remsen winner Honor Code is one as well.

iceknight
06-18-2014, 01:08 AM
AP INDY was one The real deal.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/a-p-indy-the-complete-racehorse/

this talks about a procedure too

Actor
06-22-2014, 05:39 PM
In doing a search on an unrelated topic I find that I asked this same question over two years ago and got the same answer. Sorry about that. I guess my memory is slipping in my old age.