PDA

View Full Version : Hunting the wild Koch

DJofSD
06-16-2014, 09:14 AM
http://inewsource.org/2014/06/16/secret-summit-24-hours-with-the-koch-brothers/

Last weekend and into today, the billionaire Koch brothers and supporters converged on the St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort in Dana Point. This columned, luxury compound, little more than an hour north of San Diego, has 400 rooms, a spa, a golf course, a private beach and six restaurants. Staff confirmed the entire hotel — including food and beverage service — had been bought out for a special event.

An event so secret it had a code name on the schedule: “T&R Sales Meeting.”

I'm sure Harry has been briefed.

Robert Goren
06-16-2014, 09:36 AM
There is an interesting story (even to some conservatives) about the Koch twins, their two brothers and their parents in Mother Jones. admittedly the story has a liberal slant, but the history is interesting. Did you know one of the "other" brothers won the Americas Cup ? Did you their father was a big supporter of the John Birch Society and one of the starters of the Cato Institute?
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/koch-brothers-family-history-sons-of-wichita

tucker6
06-16-2014, 10:01 AM
My reaction to the story - so what? Meetings like that occur on a regular basis in large companies. We once spent $250k to rent the Champions Pavilion at Doral and entertain customers for 4 days. The company spent at least $750k back in 2005 to send 35-40 of us to India for global meetings. This will only be a story to those unfamiliar with how businesses treat key management during these outings.

Robert Goren
06-16-2014, 10:33 AM
My reaction to the story - so what? Meetings like that occur on a regular basis in large companies. We once spent $250k to rent the Champions Pavilion at Doral and entertain customers for 4 days. The company spent at least $750k back in 2005 to send 35-40 of us to India for global meetings. This will only be a story to those unfamiliar with how businesses treat key management during these outings. My reaction too. The implication by the original poster was that there was something political happening there. I haven't read anything to make me think that it was not a strictly business meeting.
My niece just went to Singapore for a "luxury" business meeting like this one. It is a global economy these days whether we like it or not. And the top producers and execs get treated well in big companies. So do big buyers. If it is in the company's best interest I don't have a problem. Now if the company is taking tens or hundreds of millions from the taxpayers to stay afloat, that is a different story.

DJofSD
06-16-2014, 10:43 AM
That there is some political overtones, sure, but that was not the primary reason for creating the thread.

tucker6
06-16-2014, 10:59 AM
My reaction too. The implication by the original poster was that there was something political happening there. I haven't read anything to make me think that it was not a strictly business meeting.
My niece just went to Singapore for a "luxury" business meeting like this one. It is a global economy these days whether we like it or not. And the top producers and execs get treated well in big companies. So do big buyers. If it is in the company's best interest I don't have a problem. Now if the company is taking tens or hundreds of millions from the taxpayers to stay afloat, that is a different story.
I agree Robert. Don't spend taxpayer money on a high frills affair. What you do with your own money is fine by me. People may be surprised to learn that actual business occurs in these types of meetings, such as the setting of long term corporate goals and planning. Even more pressing an issue may be the relationship building, which is important in a global business. It can be a boondoggle for those who don't wish to ascend the corporate ladder. Those people tend to weed themselves out of future invites. For those who do aspire upwardly, this can be a great launch pad.